VH1 Behind the Music : Toni Braxton

Bailey

I love Toni but she cant get mad because Oprah called her out on her ridiculous spending...thats what artisit like toni, t-boz, and fantasia dont understand....stop trying o impress people and take care of your entire damn family! You see how cheap janet is! she the only celeb I know who recycles her clothes....you'll see janet wearing the same outfit fifty eleven times with different accesories but we know she got money....live within your damn means

I think Oprah's point was, before you go on a shopping spree, you should know what your finances are. The way Toni talks, she assumed their was money because she was such a big star but wasn't really checking the account to make sure the money was there

• Upvote 2

I never watched the Oprah interview and I think I get it now, Toni played a much bigger role in her own undoing than just having a bad record deal. I think Oprah was harsh with Toni because I just get the impression even from looking at Oprah's body language that Oprah just doesn't understand how someone could be so stupid with their money, in Oprah's defense she does ask Toni how did this shit happen. Oh watching Toni talk I see it now, she really was bad with her money, even Oprah called her out on common sense if you don't know when or how much is coming in how are you spending? Even if you knew you had a shit deal

I never watched the Oprah interview and I think I get it now, Toni played a much bigger role in her own undoing than just having a bad record deal. I think Oprah was harsh with Toni because I just get the impression even from looking at Oprah's body language that Oprah just doesn't understand how someone could be so stupid with their money, in Oprah's defense she does ask Toni how did this shit happen. Oh watching Toni talk I see it now, she really was bad with her money, even Oprah called her out on common sense if you don't know when or how much is coming in how are you spending? Even if you knew you had a shit deal

Yes, that's why Toni felt like shit. Oprah could afford it, but she knew not to waste money that way. Toni was just spending on the assumption that the money was there

She can if she paces her self and spreads out the dates..

I just saw that Oprah interview and she gave her some good advice..

Don't let no one touch YOUR money before YOU touch it first..

I still love you Toni...

It would be nice. I just don't want her to burn her self out - my sister has lupus and just going to the mall can be challenging on a good day. Every case is different though I guess.

It would be nice. I just don't want her to burn her self out - my sister has lupus and just going to the mall can be challenging on a good day. Every case is different though I guess.

I know a young lady at school with Lupus, and I saw her just the other day, she seemed so much more happy at the moment, she stopped and talked to me and was being all nice, I was like she wasn't like this even when we had a class together, least not all the time.....I think people with lupus have bad times and manageable times

Yes, that's why Toni felt like shit. Oprah could afford it, but she knew not to waste money that way. Toni was just spending on the assumption that the money was there

from watching that interview it looked even worst than the assumption money was there, it was like she didn't check her own shit, Oprah wasn't mean to her, she asked her all the redeeming questions, did you ever sign your own checks? did you ask about the money coming in while you were spending? I think that Gucci flatware comment was taken out of context, Oprah was really saying girl if you buying Gucci plates and shit, you outta know you have this amount of money coming in and when the money is coming on paper, not "oh I'm a big superstar see I was on MTV" and why is this check so small? Toni says well royalty checks only come once or twice a year, I'm thinking that's worst, if you know yo shit is only coming once or twice in a year, I would be calling and checking to know when the check coming? How much is it again? I only get paid proper like this once or twice a year so I gotta be on my shit

I liked her behind the music. I think multiple factors made her broke - a bad deal, some mismanagement and over spending.

Thank the lawd for Joseph Jackson making sure Janet got her money and not signing her for a 20 album deal in the beginning! It's a shame / during the 90s Janet was getting $2.50 for every CD she sold while Toni got like 2000 dollars.

I knew why I loved Traci - she convinced Toni to go for it solo!

• Upvote 2

I liked her behind the music. I think multiple factors made her broke - a bad deal, some mismanagement and over spending.

Thank the lawd for Joseph Jackson making sure Janet got her money and not signing her for a 20 album deal in the beginning! It's a shame / during the 90s Janet was getting $2.50 for every CD she sold while Toni got like 2000 dollars.

well you know how your gut tells you things? I really had only heard one side of the story from their point of view and that was Toni, and La Face was shit with TLC so they had no defense, so it was easy to give Toni that "pass" but that Oprah interview showed me hold up.....there is something more here, this chick is acting brand new about how much a dollar brings in. As for Janet I had another gut instinct after bringing up those contracts from the 90's and reading the details, touring aside, and thats huge in itself, I think Janet is worth more than 150 million they say that figure all the time, but janet won't brag about her money nor talk about it so you won't know. The numbers with Janet don't add up to 150 million you take royalties, you take touring, you take advance on her contracts in the 90s and that adds up really quick.... 2.50 per album and 25% per single? right? anything she put on a disc she got a 24% cut of the disc retail, well they say she sold 100 million albums, not all under Virgin, but most, okay so 2.50 a disc times let's say 50 million albums under Virgin lets low ball it. that's about 125 million dollars to Janet in royalties alone, not including the huge 35 million and 40 million dollar advances. Not including tour sales either, and while she did not report ALL her sales on her tour last year, we do know from the tour rider she took a minimum of 450k per show, now some shows brought in more so she got more, but 80 shows at 450k is about 40 million last year touring alone. So 125+35+40+40- 10 (we won't say where that went) and not including any other tours and anything else she did to earn a living ....brings Janet to a minimum of 230 million dollar net worth if not much more I didn't bother including the other tours

I loved Traci just that much more for keeping it real like Toni you got a shot and we don't it is what it is but you do you I won't even be mad about it girl.....NOW that's a sister like gone get yo paper, and if you can comeback to us comeback but do you you got a shot.....It doesn't make any sense for everyone to be broke and stay broke if even just one can make it

I know a young lady at school with Lupus, and I saw her just the other day, she seemed so much more happy at the moment, she stopped and talked to me and was being all nice, I was like she wasn't like this even when we had a class together, least not all the time.....I think people with lupus have bad times and manageable times

I think when you have a disease like that - you just need to learn to deal with it (as harsh as it sounds). It is manageable and sufferers can live normal lives whilst they're in "remission". I'm glad that young lady is happy. I wish her the best :). I think my sister has finally managed to get to a happy place...she's gone back to college etc. She was diagnosed 5 years ago and is only just getting her life back on track.