Kendrick Lamar Goes Against the Grain, Enlists ‘Darker Tone’ Girl for Poetic Justice Read More: Kendrick Lamar enlists dark skinned model for Poetic

Escapade

kendrick-brittany-500x258.jpg

Well won’t you take a look at this shit….

Kendrick Lamar is making a huge splash in the music industry and recently dropped the visual for his song, Poetic Justice.

SEE ALSO: Kendrick Lamar, Poetic Justice (VIDEO)

If you’ve had a chance to give the video a little looksy, you’ll notice that a very beautiful, dark skinned model named Brittany Sky was the feature. Kendrick made it known that it was all his doing via an interview with Miss Info.

We had another girl for the lead but I had an idea where I just wanted a little bit of a darker tone [girl] in the video. It’s almost like a color blind industry where there’s only one type of appeal to the camera.

I give [brittany] the credit, too, for just being there, and being a natural, genuine young lady. She wasn’t all in the open, trying to jump in [front] of the camera. She was cool, just chilling. I always kept in the back of my mind like ‘you don’t ever see this tone of a woman in videos. No disrespect, I love all women, period. But at the same time, I still feels like it needs that balance.

Considering that the formula for music videos these days (starting a few years ago) seems to be centered around finding the most exotic woman for the feature, it’s refreshing to know that Kendrick had a vision that included going against the norm and stood by it 100%. Brittany is definitely a looker. Here’s to hoping that his peers follow his lead.

Interesante...

It's always a good thing when ppl take notice of whats lacking... Good for him.

I agree

Its a sad thing when a dark skin girl has become almost an anomaly in hip hop/R&B videos. Especially when you consider many of the artist are dark thenselves.

And the mighty Janhova said unto thee...through my music, I will inspire visionaries, artist and like-minded rappers to love and appreciate all women but especially those colored girls of a darker hue. For it doesn't matter if you're lite skin, dark skin or of Asian persuasion in my kingdom of Rhythm Nation because in complete darkness we are all the same. -_-

• Upvote 4

And the mighty Janhova said unto thee...through my music, I will inspire visionaries, artist and like-minded rappers to love and appreciate all women but especially those colored girls of a darker hue. For it doesn't matter if you're lite skin, dark skin or of Asian persuasion in my kingdom of Rhythm Nation because in complete darkness we are all the same. -_-

I just can't deal with you lately :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

It's always a good thing when ppl take notice of whats lacking... Good for him.

Yup. I left this out

Miss Info: Just as you saw in the first clip of our interview, Kendrick is very aware and insightful about the pluses and pitfalls of his work. He even acknowledges that while he’s happy he could make a small move to counteract some of the skin-tone prejudice in the music business, it’s just a drop in a bucket. And he makes no bones about the fact that hip hop objectifies women in many ways. So glad we got the chance to talk this week.

I just love you! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: