The J. Cole thread

RedSimba

J. COLE FAN APOLOGIZES FOR TWITTER THREAT

Kandice Lawson Posted June 21, 2013

vibe-jcole_1.jpg

People do the most for a retweet from their favorite celebs but probably not as much as this one J. Cole fan.

The Twitter user @_TzC_ tweeted the rapper, who dropped his sophomore effort Born Sinner Tuesday (June 18). "Retweet me and I'll buy 'Born Sinner.' Don't retweet me and I'll kill my lil sister," the fan wrote, accompanied by a photo of a girl standing with what looked like a gun pointed at her head.

Cole did RT the post then wrote, "wildest s*** i ever seen on twitter bruh."

The digital threat prompted the media to investigate into the matter and the account was eventually shut down. @_TzC then came out of hiding, revealing that it was a BB gun and that the boys in blue had gotten involved.

"My mom is so mad at me.... I gotta go into hiding for a lil while," the user shared, later replying to one inquirer, "(I)t was a BB gun. Cops came to my house and everything."

He also released an apology through TMZ. "I'd like to apologize to America for the photo and to put J. Cole in that position. It was all a joke. It was an unloaded BB gun and my sister was in on it. I only tweeted it because I didn't expect a response. Mr. Cole please don't sue me. I want to formally apologize more to J. Cole and yeah my mom made me delete my twitter until I fixed it."

Texas authorities say the young man has been very cooperative throughout the ordeal.

"I make terrible decisions. Don't admire me," the fan tweeted Wednesday. "I'm not a bad person, I'm just stupid."

http://www.vibe.com/...h.JpvFYd2X.dpuf

Poor J. Cole -_-

• 3 weeks later...

Descent-sized thread launch. Now it's reinvention time, bwahahahaaa... :P

HDD predicts Born Winner will top the album chart this week... ^_^

THE "BORN" SUPREMACY: J. Cole’s "Sinner" Has Heavenly #1 in Third Week as Hip-Hop Again Dominates Our Album Chart

July 9, 2013

J. Cole’s Born Sinner tops this week’s Album Sales Chart in its third week with 55k, down 33% from last week (it bowed with 297k). The Roc Nation/Columbia release is one of several albums displaying rap’s muscle in recent weeks; others include #2 Wale (48k, down 68% from its 151k bow last week) and #3 Kanye West, whose Roc-a-Fella/Def Jam/IDJalbum Yeezus moved 40k (-39%) in its third week; it debuted with 328k.

Of course, Jay-Z’s blockbuster Roc Nation/IDJ setMagna Carta Holy Grail will give hip-hop a monster #1 next week.

http://www.hitsdaily...e.cgi?news09455

J. Cole@JColeNC

3 weeks later. #1 Album in the country. Born Sinner. Thank You

----

Interesting... and with Jay-Z coming out next, that's 4 #1 rap albums in a row.

061813-shows-106-park-j-cole-2.jpg

Focused, ambitious, impressive – these are all words used by critics when describing J.Cole's latest project Born Sinner. After coming in second to hip hop veteran Kanye West’s release Yeezus in its opening week, Born Sinner has now snagged the No. 1 position on the Billboard Top 200, dethroning Wale's critically-acclaimed album, The Gifted.

Cole’s sophomore effort is now music’s current chart victor, after selling 57,717 units this week. Fortunately the crown stays within the Roc Nation family as Cole's rise pushed Wale's impressive album to the No. 2 spot. In addition, Born Sinner has sold 439,117 units to date, almost 10,000 more than Kanye's Yeezus (430,500).

The Grammy-nominated rapper is now officially the first male hip hop artist in 12 years to have a widely available album reach No. 1 after failing to debut at the top spot.

The Roc Nation/Columbia Records artist released two versions of the LP: a standard edition with 16 tracks and a deluxe edition with 21 tracks. The project boasts appearances from music’s biggest and brightest, both old and new, including TLC, Miguel and Kendrick Lamar.

Born Sinner is not only a collective success. The album’s lead single “Power Trip,” which features R&B crooner Miguel, has been rapidly gaining momentum once again on the Billboard Hot 100 Chart. After spending a total of 20 weeks on the chart, the popular number now sits at No. 21, gaining three spots from last week’s position and just one spot below its peak position.

Most recently, J. Cole has collaborated with Roc Nation label mate Elijah Blake on their new single “Vendetta” which he also produced. The song generated more than 50,000 plays mere hours after it was released on Soundcloud.

http://www.bet.com/news/music/2013/07/10/j-cole-nabs-top-spot-on-billboard-top-200.html

Yes, Jermaine. Lemme let you nut in me for this good news! :shifty:

where?

I saw him tweet "That's the way loooove goes" once

And at 5:00 here, the interviewer told him to lie about who's on his album (basically who he wants to work with)...

He's totally a fan B)

In addition, Born Sinner has sold 439,117 units to date, almost 10,000 more than Kanye's Yeezus (430,500).

Slow and steady...

rm4bo8.jpg

• Upvote 1

I saw him tweet "That's the way loooove goes" once

And at 5:00 here, the interviewer told him to lie about who's on his album (basically who he wants to work with)...

He's totally a fan B)

Slow and steady...

rm4bo8.jpg

couldn't you just told me at what mark instead of me watching all that Andy? :sigh:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a few days late but that was big on him to own up to his "autism" lyric. Sometimes the spirit moves lyricists and they can get carried away; there's an art in realing it back in sometimes.

J. COLE APOLOGIZES FOR AUTISM LYRIC

J. Cole is owning up to his mistake. The Roc Nation rapper has issued a sincere apology for an offensive lyric about autism.

On the Drake-assisted song “Jodeci Freestyle,” Cole raps, “Fuck your list, you lame ni**as and doubters/ I’m undoubtedly the hottest and that’s just me being modest/ Go check the numbers, dummy/ That’s just me gettin’ started/ I’m artistic, you ni**as is autistic, retarded.”

In a letter posted on his website Dreamvillain, Cole explained that the apology was necessary after a fan expressed their outrage.

“I was instantly embarrassed that I would be ignorant enough to say something so hurtful,” he wrote. “What makes the crime worse is that I should have known better.”

He went on to apologize to parents who are raising kids with autism, college students with Asperger’s Syndrome, and all those battling the development disorder.

“You deserve medals, not disrespect,” said Cole.

Read his heartfelt apology below.

Autism Speaks

Recently there’s been a trend that includes rappers saying something offensive, only to be attacked for it in the media and pressured to apologize. I have to be completely honest and say there’s a part of me that resents that. I view rap similar to how I view comedy. It’s going to ruffle feathers at times. It’s going to go “too far”. I do not believe that an apology is needed every time someone is offended, especially when that apology is really only for the sake of saving an endorsement or cleaning up bad press.

With that said, this is not the case today. This letter is sincere. This apology IS necessary.

In a recent verse on the song “Jodeci Freestyle”, I said something highly offensive to people with Autism. Last week, when I first saw a comment from someone outraged about the lyric, I realized right away that what I said was wrong. I was instantly embarrassed that I would be ignorant enough to say something so hurtful. What makes the crime worse is that I should have known better.

To the entire Autism community who expressed outrage, I’m moved and inspired by your passion, and I’m amazed at how strong you are as a unit. I have now read stories online from parents about their struggles and triumphs with raising an Autistic child and I admire how incredibly strong you have to be to do so. It’s touching. It also makes what I said even more embarrassing for me. I feel real shame. You have every right to be angry.

To anyone suffering from Autism, either mildly or severely, I am sorry. I’m bound to make mistakes in my life, but in my heart I just want to spread Love.

I want to educate myself more on Autism, and I’ll gladly own my mistake and serve as an example to today’s generation that there’s nothing cool about mean-spirited comments about someone with Autism. People with this disorder and their loved ones have to go through so much already, the last thing they need is to hear something as ignorant as what I said. I understand.

To the parents who are fighting through the frustrations that must come with raising a child with severe autism, finding strength and patience that they never knew they had; to the college student with Asperger’s Syndrome; to all those overcoming Autism. You deserve medals, not disrespect. I hope you accept my sincere apology.

Much Love

-Cole

http://www.rap-up.com/2013/07/22/j-cole-apologizes-for-autism-lyric/

• Upvote 1