WWIII - Russia Edition

bu.

What do you think would happen if Congress say no?

I'm surprised David Cameron conducted a vote. I'm also surprised the UK Parliament majority voted no.

I wonder if France will act alone should Congress say no and Obama is 'forced' to not do anything.

What do you think would happen if Congress say no?

I'm surprised David Cameron conducted a vote. I'm also surprised the UK Parliament majority voted no.

I wonder if France will act alone should Congress say no and Obama is 'forced' to not do anything.

Obama can still strike.. And if he does, his opponents will hate him even more... many of his non-supporters will be a tad harsher...

Seems like most people think we shouldn't "go to war" with Syria but chemical warfare on their innocent citizens and no one wants to stop it? Granted America isn't the police of the world but when is enough... enough?

the whole point in bringing it to Congress is to stop Obama, stop him from acting, however in this instance its pretty clear chemical weapons were used and killed many, so the pressure to do something is there, problem is no one wants to get their hands dirty

Obama didn't have to bring it to Congress... actually.. there are over 100 occasions where a president didn't get Congress's approval for war...

Per the Constitution: The president has the power to initiate hostilities without consulting Congress.

So bringing this to Congress doesn't stop Obama at all... but it could bite him in the ass and completely ruin his political career if the mission failed

Obama can still strike.. And if he does, his opponents will hate him even more... many of his non-supporters will be a tad harsher...

Seems like most people think we shouldn't "go to war" with Syria but chemical warfare on their innocent citizens and no one wants to stop it? Granted America isn't the police of the world but when is enough... enough?

My issue is that there's no compelling evidence to suggest that it was even the Assad regime that used it. I know the US claims there is but they've lied before to go to war. How can they have evidence before the UN? Especially since the UN weren't even allowed to enter the country for 4 days.

If Assad used it - then I guess it's important to act on it. However logistically speaking I don't think the UK could afford to go to "war" again, especially since the defence budget was cut and the economy is still bad.

My issue is that there's no compelling evidence to suggest that it was even the Assad regime that used it. I know the US claims there is but they've lied before to go to war. How can they have evidence before the UN? Especially since the UN weren't even allowed to enter the country for 4 days.

If Assad used it - then I guess it's important to act on it. However logistically speaking I don't think the UK could afford to go to "war" again, especially since the defence budget was cut and the economy is still bad.

They claim to have intelligent sources.. Intelligent sources don't submit claims to the U.N., to my knowledge.

It won't be a full fledge war... Obama clearly stated air strike and no US soldiers on the ground.. Which completely differs from the Iraqi war.

They claim to have intelligent sources.. Intelligent sources don't submit claims to the U.N., to my knowledge.

It won't be a full fledge war... Obama clearly stated air strike and no US soldiers on the ground.. Which completely differs from the Iraqi war.

I think the Iraqi war is what bit the UK government in the ass. Had it not been for that then the vote may have gone differently.

Obama didn't have to bring it to Congress... actually.. there are over 100 occasions where a president didn't get Congress's approval for war...

Per the Constitution: The president has the power to initiate hostilities without consulting Congress.

So bringing this to Congress doesn't stop Obama at all... but it could bite him in the ass and completely ruin his political career if the mission failed

I have to give you credit for this post, because I knew this yet somehow that connection wasn't made, I guess my point is without support of others, even when you can act alone, its not always the best idea. Obama is interestingly on the job as the economy is coming back, and whether he made it happen doesn't matter he will get the credit like finding Osama, Im sure the intelligence for getting Osama came along as part of efforts that began before Obama took office but he was the president on duty when they caught him so he gets the credit.

My whole point is why fuck things up when they're just getting good, I mean he could usher in the next President a Democrat no less

I have to give you credit for this post, because I knew this yet somehow that connection wasn't made, I guess my point is without support of others, even when you can act alone, its not always the best idea. Obama is interestingly on the job as the economy is coming back, and whether he made it happen doesn't matter he will get the credit like finding Osama, Im sure the intelligence for getting Osama came along as part of efforts that began before Obama took office but he was the president on duty when they caught him so he gets the credit.

My whole point is why fuck things up when they're just getting good, I mean he could usher in the next President a Democrat no less

Presidents don't control the economy... They can influence it but there is no guarantee their policy would work.. His Administration found and took out Bin Liden on his call.. He will also be the face of equality and marijuana decriminalization.. As well as the Prez who took out Enemy #1

What is he fucking up?

• Upvote 1

Presidents don't control the economy... They can influence it but there is no guarantee their policy would work.. His Administration found and took out Bin Liden on his call.. He will also be the face of equality and marijuana decriminalization.. As well as the Prez who took out Enemy #1

What is he fucking up?

taking us into a conflict many don't want to bother with....no one is saying something isn't needed BUT no one wants to do it...he does that and it could be a disaster

I think Obama knew what he was doing when he announced he was seeking Congressional approval. If it goes bad then the blame won't only be on him. But using chemical weapons on innocent children is wrong. There HAS to be some consequences.

^THIS ....that's the fucked up position he in, on the one hand some say who are we to police the world? On the other hand folks are standing by while genocide takes place.

I heard some people say that it was the rebels, but if that's the case.. What has Assad done to stop them? Where is his outrage?

I heard some people say that it was the rebels, but if that's the case.. What has Assad done to stop them? Where is his outrage?

That's what I heard. I don't know what to 'believe' tbh. Everything is so blurry. I know Assad asked for proof that he used them although he hasn't denied he has them. This whole situation kind of reminds me of Kosovo in the 90s

US has intelligence that claims it was Assad

Hasn't their intelligence been wrong before? Although their intelligence did "get" Osama. It's excruciatingly annoying seeing it play out so 'slowly'. I hope the situation ends soon.

Apparently 2million Syrians have fled to nearby countries and are now refugees

Russia won't be happy with US attacking Syria. I'm not big on army sizes etc but are Russia strong?

Yeah I heard that... That's a lot of people!

Russia has 1.04 million* active soldiers and spends $60 billion**

US has 1.4 million* as but spends $600 billion**

* - as of 2009

** - Figures for the year 2012... The latest data available

Yeah I heard that... That's a lot of people!

Russia has 1.04 million* active soldiers and spends $60 billion**

US has 1.4 million* as but spends $600 billion**

* - as of 2009

** - Figures for the year 2012... The latest data available

What about weapons tho?

Russia feels like the new Nazis tbh with all that homo-hate. I bet they'll break the rules in war and spray us all with acid or something :rolleyes:.

What about weapons tho?

Russia feels like the new Nazis tbh with all that homo-hate. I bet they'll break the rules in war and spray us all with acid or something :rolleyes:.

The most powerful military are usually the ones with the most members and bigger budget for the most part. Russia is too private to know what weapons they have

There's no rules in war.