How long before you consider a song old?

EphraimAdamz

When I play at clubs it seems like this....

3-8 Months (Must Play)

1 Year (Hits but not necessity)

2-9 Years (Do not play, consider old, tired of hearing)

10-15 years (Throwback)

16-25 Years (Oldie but goodie)

It's like once a song enters that 2-5ish territory no one wants to hear it. I tend to get frowns when I drop something from 2004-2009 era. But go just a year or two before that and its like "eh, throwback!"

Pop songs tend to get older quickly for me--they sound old after 3-5 years. I think it's because I listen to them more often than those from different genre (rock, alternative, etc.).

That's the criticism with pop music though. People tend to feel pop dates itself more than more acclaimed genres.

That's the criticism with pop music though. People tend to feel pop dates itself more than more acclaimed genres.

Maybe that's because pop music is very volatile and changes rapidly as well. We had bubblegum pop in the late 90s/early 2000s, "urban pop" (ala Usher, Alicia, Beyonce) during the mid-2000s, then right now dance is everywhere. Obviously songs during the boy band/early Britney and her clones era sound dated. You won't get that when you compare rock songs by Coldplay or Kings Of Leon from the last decade and now.

So no more Control album for you?

I listen to Parade often, Prince's album from that same year. I like 80's music. But Control is a different case, it burned out on me. I'd rather hear stuff from Rhythm Nation or her debut album.

well I have to go with what makes me NOT want to hear a song even after I know I liked it....and that's once its been played the fuck out, THEN it's old....ladies and gentlemen I present a receipt...."Blurred Lines" I don't give nary a fuck if its less than a year, that song has been spun more than a stripper on a pole on Saturday night.

• Upvote 1

well I have to go with what makes me NOT want to hear a song even after I know I liked it....and that's once its been played the fuck out, THEN it's old....ladies and gentlemen I present a receipt...."Blurred Lines" I don't give nary a fuck if its less than a year, that song has been spun more than a stripper on a pole on Saturday night.

Exactly. If it's songs that were released less than a year ago, I wouldn't want to hear that and "Can't Hold Us" anymore.

I like songs from 2 year and more, but if a DJ plays "Party Rock Anthem", "I Gotta Feeling", "California Gorls", "Give Me Everything", or "Love The Way You Lie", it's going to be a problem. Those are SO PLAYED OUT!

Exactly. If it's songs that were released less than a year ago, I wouldn't want to hear that and "Can't Hold Us" anymore.

I like songs from 2 year and more, but if a DJ plays "Party Rock Anthem", "I Gotta Feeling", "California Gorls", "Give Me Everything", or "Love The Way You Lie", it's going to be a problem. Those are SO PLAYED OUT!

:ph34r:

:asham: And "Shots Shots Shots" :hmph: