Article from Vanity Fair.. From May 2013

Am I pulling a Joe or did no one truly post this?

http://variety.com/2...29/#!1/control/

Her longtime choreographer Gil Duldulao admits that some of her deep dives into R&B were challenging. “I see her as a pop icon first,” he says. “And if I may say, I think she needs to get back to her lane. Her lane, but in a current way, a way that she could be her again, but still take things to a new level.”

And there’s plenty of time left for yet another chapter in the Jackson story. Rapper Kendrick Lamar’s currently inescapable single “Poetic Justice” has returned 1993’s “Any Time, Any Place” into teenage consciousness thanks to a well-placed sample. Roles in Tyler Perry pics have kept her in the public eye. And per Duldulao, conversations about potential projects are always floating.

“She really thinks a lot about things, like ‘Hey, if I’m going get up and go out there, I’m not going to put music out just to put it out,’ ” he says. “And I see her really changing the game in music again — that’s why she’s taking a long time.”

• Upvote 1

how is Janet going into R&B challenging when she's done R&B since she came out. Yes she does pop but she has no problem doing R&B. Hell she has more R&B no.1s than anybody right except maybe Aretha doesn't she?

I think he has it backwards. The pop stuff has been more challenging. Her R&B is always on point

Sorry -_- I was debating if I should include that

No prob, it's her most solid R&B album, 20 was the wrong direction from that, but DJ had that old school/classic R&B feel mixed with at the time current R&B and R&B/pop blends...and Just a lil while.....oddly 1 of her most poppy songs....

Except for 20 YO, Damita Jo, Discipline, Janet Jackson, and Dreamstreet

Well "With U" and "Take Care" from 20 Y.O. were perfect R&B songs. IDK why you even included Damita Jo cause there were no flaws in the R&B on that album. Hell even "SloLove" gave that R&B euro pop feel. Discipline "Rock With U" is great R&B fused with house music. It puts you in a trance. Also what was wrong with "What's Ur Name"? That song is hot not to mention "Roll Witchu" and "Put Your Hands On" from 20 Y.O. and Damita Jo

It sounds like he's mainly shading Janet's str8 up Urban projects like 20yo (and DJ was majority urban). I see what he's saying tho cuz even alot of ppl on here thought 20YO was too urban and "street" for someone of Janet's age. He's just saying she's much more than just r&b ..she's more universal,which she is.

Well "With U" and "Take Care" from 20 Y.O. were perfect R&B songs. IDK why you even included Damita Jo cause there were no flaws in the R&B on that album. Hell even "SloLove" gave that R&B euro pop feel. Discipline "Rock With U" is great R&B fused with house music. It puts you in a trance. Also what was wrong with "What's Ur Name"? That song is hot not to mention "Roll Witchu" and "Put Your Hands On" from 20 Y.O. and Damita Jo

Okay....? but I was talking albums not specific songs

RWU is not R&B and that single was trash. Slolove is overrated by her fans..

It sounds like he's mainly shading Janet's str8 up Urban projects like 20yo (and DJ was majority urban). I see what he's saying tho cuz even alot of ppl on here thought 20YO was too urban and "street" for someone of Janet's age. He's just saying she's much more than just r&b ..she's more universal,which she is.

JD ruined 20.. It could have been epic