White gunman at large after killing nine at South Carolina church in racist hate crime

bu.

Nine people have died in a shooting at a historic African-American church in Charleston in the US state of South Carolina, officials say.

City police chief Gregory Mullen said eight of the victims were killed inside the Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church on Wednesday evening, while another person died shortly afterwards.

Police are now searching for a white male suspect in his 20s.

A prayer meeting was going on at the time of the shooting at about 21:00 local time on Wednesday (01:00 GMT Thursday) at the church on Calhoun Street.

In a tweet, Charleston police wrote: "Suspect in shooting on Calhoun St is a w/m approx 21 slender small build wearing a grey sweat shirt blue jeans timberland boots clean shaven."

Speaking at a news briefing later, Mr Mullen said: "There were eight deceased individuals inside of the church. Two individuals were transported to [the hospital]. One of them has died.

"At this point, we have nine victims in this hideous crime that has been committed.

"It is unfathomable that somebody in today's society would walk into a church when people are having a prayer meeting and take their lives," Mr Mullen said.

A woman who survived the shooting told her family the gunman said he was letting her live so she could report what happened, the Charleston Post and Courier reported.

She said the gunman had sat in the church before standing and opening fire, according to an official from the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP).

Charleston Mayor Joe Riley described the shooting as "the most unspeakable" tragedy.

South Carolina Senator Tim Scott tweeted: "My heart is breaking for Charleston and South Carolina tonight."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-33179019

:cry:

He's been caught!

http://www.wltx.com/story/news/2015/06/18/dylann-storm-roof-charleston-sc-shooting/28917299/

Richland County, SC (WLTX) - A law enforcement source tells WLTX that the suspect in the mass shooting at a Charleston church has been arrested in Shelby, North Carolina.

This is a breaking news update: more details are expected soon

The search for the suspect in a mass shooting that left nine people dead at a historic African-American Charleston church has moved to Richland County.

Charleston police confirm the suspect is 21-year-old Dylann Storm Roof. Roof apparently grew up in the Columbia area, which is why law enforcement are now looking for clues in Lower Richland County.

Columbia Mayor Steve Benjamin also told WLTX that Roof has multiple family members in the greater Columbia area.

Police said the suspect may be driving a black Hyundai with vehicle tag LGF330 and appealed to the public for any information on his whereabouts.

A Facebook page belonging to a Dylann Roof that matches the picture released by law enforcement also says Roof is from Columbia, and that he at one time attended White Knoll High School in Lexington County.

• Upvote 1

his motives were that they were black and "taking over the world"

Not sure why he would go to a small church to make that point.  No one in that church had the power to take over anything.  The fact that they embraced him not even knowing who he was and he still had hate towards them makes me ill

Let's call it what it is: domestic terrorism.

I haven't seen that term used once.  That's exactly what this is.  I am tired of hearing the mental health and no friends  excuse.   

Not sure why he would go to a small church to make that point.  No one in that church had the power to take over anything.  The fact that they embraced him not even knowing who he was and he still had hate towards them makes me ill

I haven't seen that term used once.  That's exactly what this is.  I am tired of hearing the mental health and no friends  excuse.   

he meant black people in general were raping women and trying to take over the world

But he's not a Muslim or minority and he probably has a mental illness. It infuriates me...those double standards that the media use. 

• Upvote 1

But he's not a Muslim or minority and he probably has a mental illness. It infuriates me...those double standards that the media use.

It really hurts me to know that somehow the police were able to apprehend him and put him in cuffs, yet they willingly kill a man for supposedly selling illegal cigarettes (Eric Garner) playing outside (Tamir Rice) or being a black girl at a pool party.

And despite the fact that he said vile racist things before opening fire, the media is STILL willing to go with the "let's get all of the facts!" Narrative.

• Upvote 1

It really hurts me to know that somehow the police were able to apprehend him and put him in cuffs, yet they willingly kill a man for supposedly selling illegal cigarettes (Eric Garner) playing outside (Tamir Rice) or being a black girl at a pool party.

And despite the fact that he said vile racist things before opening fire, the media is STILL willing to go with the "let's get all of the facts!" Narrative.

It's absolutely disgusting. 2015 has truly been the year everyone realised racism in America is truly alive and kicking. I know I'm in the UK but it just makes me so sad for everyone in the US. 

that's exactly what i thought this morning, he should be charged with terrorism no different than the Boston bombers :mellow:

Edit: South Carolina does have the death penalty on the books !  but this falls under hate crimes,and that complicates things

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&sqi=2&ved=0CB4QqQIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bustle.com%2Farticles%2F91286-will-dylann-roof-get-the-death-penalty-if-found-guilty-south-carolinas-hate-crime-laws-complicate&ei=2WyDVZOvPIGSsAWRyZyoDQ&usg=AFQjCNGo0VOGS5eBCNXURQcEYXyRNiZYmQ&bvm=bv.96042044,d.b2w