Janet Jackson PNC concert review!

Bailey

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/entertainment/music-news-reviews/article35820501.html

By Courtney Devores

Correspondent

This review could go two ways. I almost titled it, “armed with hits, but traffic was the pits.”

First off, the good. Maybe a Jackson should run for president (no, I don’t know which one), because Jacksons bring people together. That’s what struck me as the crowd rose and Janet Jackson appeared in silhouette cloaked by a screen Friday at PNC Music Pavilion.

Fans of various ages, races and nationalities greeted Jackson with glee as she then launched into “Nasty,” one of her most iconic hits.

(I thought my sister would jump out of her skin with joy. I don’t know how many times a song would hit and she’d look at me, mouth open, eyes wide as if to say “No way! Ah yeah!”).

The diversity also was visible on stage where Jackson surrounded herself with dancers who varied in age (two were children), race, body style and, notably, personality. The moments when Jackson warmly featured individual dancers via dance-off were some of the lightest, most entertaining of the night — outside of the hits of course.

She blasted through most of her hits from 1986’s monster album “Control” and its equally revered sequel “Rhythm Nation 1814” and danced like little time had passed since then. Some arrangements were updated with a kick of distorted guitar during “Nasty” and scratching on “When I Think Of You.”

She seemed truly charmed by J. Cole’s contribution to her new single “No Sleep,” which served as another highlight. The North Carolina-based rapper wasn’t there, but she grooved as his lines were delivered onscreen.

The production was rather simple with no costume changes, a four-piece band, plus a DJ and three backing vocalists, and a set with moveable towering stairs that she used sparingly.

She did take a breather delivering a medley of ballads from a stool. It was then that the crowd really got to appreciate her voice, which was bathed in layers of production during the dance numbers. She really got to wail during “Black Cat” and “Scream,” both of which, turned out to be highlights of the show — if only they had gone on a little longer.

At age 49, Jackson hit on 32 hits in roughly 90 minutes.

Like many artists who have an airplane hangar full of hits (Prince for one), Jackson’s set was one long medley. She hit on everything notable from those early albums and some of her later work as well as songs from her upcoming album “Unbreakable,” which fit well in the set.

But some songs only got a verse and a chorus, some two.

“Control” for instance (during which I mentally reenacted my fifth grade cheer-leading half-time dance) quickly morphed into “What Have You Done For Me Lately?” Thankfully she didn’t skip the bridge on the latter — sometimes the bridge is the best part.

Such is the lot of a veteran A-list performer. Either they skip some fan favorites all together (which Madonna happily does in bulk) or deliver them all in a flurry. I’d bet most of the crowd prefer the latter. No one complained. The woman beside us saw Jackson in Raleigh last night and bought tickets for Charlotte to do it all over again.

Yet with no opener, getting there on time was a must. Cars were lined up down Interstate 485 an hour before the advertised show time, which was pushed back another half hour while a DJ pumped up the crowd inside.

Still many people were finding their seats for the first time as that hit-filled opening, which included “Miss You Much,” “Alright,” “The Pleasure Principal” and “Escapade” was already coming to a close. My sister met a woman in the parking lot who only saw the last two songs of the show, which ended at 10 p.m. — an hour earlier than most PNC shows.

With cars parked on the grass up and down Pavilion Boulevard, and many crossing the bridge in the direction of the Wendy’s on the way to their cars (many appeared to have parked at the elementary school), it looked like the Dave Matthews Band parking disaster of the early 2000s. (I don’t actually remember the year, but we were still searching for a parking spot long after Dave hit the stage).

Many fans’ memories of Jackson’s long-awaited return may be mired by the traffic and parking experience.

One of the latecomers, who got there fairly early, was a dad with his young daughter, who appeared to be 6 or 7. I cannot imagine what seeing Janet Jackson would have meant to me in elementary school. I doubt that kid cared about Jackson’s age, the traffic or songs cut short. Like those of us that enjoyed the bulk of the show, she was probably just thoroughly entertained.

Edited by Bailey

The traffic was SERIOUS...it took about an hour to get out of the parking lot.

It damn sure did and I was really close to the exit... I could have taken a nap while waiting.. 

I also didn't let no one get in front of me.. You will wait just like I had to.. 

For Atlanta I'm getting there early and parking right at the exit of the lot.. 

It damn sure did and I was really close to the exit... I could have taken a nap while waiting.. 

I also didn't let no one get in front of me.. You will wait just like I had to.. 

i heard some people talk that there had been an accident. I got very defensive with my driving tho lol ultimately everyone was waiting on everyone else, didn't matter where you were.

lol i was so far up the cars ass in front of me. people were trying to cut in from the sides. it was a hotmess. then they had the nerve to sendme a survey about the venue. i told them parking sucks lol

messed up our evening shawn. couldnt even go out to eat with u guys

lol i was so far up the cars ass in front of me. people were trying to cut in from the sides. it was a hotmess. then they had the nerve to sendme a survey about the venue. i told them parking sucks lol

messed up our evening shawn. couldnt even go out to eat with u guys

Well we damn sure ate.. Taco Mac.. and we got free food because the dumb waitress keep forgetting to bring stuff to our table. On top of that a damn bug crawled across the table... 

Well we damn sure ate.. Taco Mac.. and we got free food because the dumb waitress keep forgetting to bring stuff to our table. On top of that a damn bug crawled across the table... 

a fucking bug!!!! i wasnt about to eat no taco mac at 11 i would have died lol