Weird Al - Perform this Way

Kim

Some things are too weird even for Lady Gaga, it seems.

The dance-pop provocateur has refused to allow 'Weird Al' Yankovic to parody her hit song Born This Way, according to the musical satirist.

"I wrote and recorded what I thought was going to be the first single off of my new album: a parody of Born This Way by Lady Gaga called Perform This Way," Yankovic revealed Wednesday in a lengthy post on his blog at alyankovic.wordpress.com. "But after hearing it, Lady Gaga decided not to give me permission to release the song, so ... it won't be coming out commercially anytime in the near future. Sorry."

Yankovic says he pitched Gaga on the idea and then sent her the lyrics, but was told she would have to hear the song first. So he cut short a family vacation in Australia and flew home to L.A. to meet her demands. "I decided -- based on my belief that people are basically good -- to go through the trouble and considerable expense of actually recording the song. Now, I never do that -- never. But because I was really excited about this parody, I decided I would faithfully jump through as many hoops as Gaga deemed necessary ... A couple days later we got the final word: Lady Gaga says 'no.' "

Yankovic says he doesn't know why Gaga rejected the song, which includes lyrics such as: "I might be wearin' Swiss cheese or maybe covered with bees / It doesn't mean I'm crazy -- I perform this way."

He says he could release it commercially without her permission, but always respects the artist's wishes in cases like this. He has, however, posted the song on YouTube and plans to give it away as a free mp3 "because I also have a personal policy not to completely waste my stinking time."

In the wake of his revelation, other artists rallied behind him. Former Barenaked Ladies singer-guitarist Steven Page tweeted that he wondered "why she's so protective of a song she stole from Madonna."

----

He's a damn mess. :lol: :lol:

Some things are too weird even for Lady Gaga, it seems.

The dance-pop provocateur has refused to allow 'Weird Al' Yankovic to parody her hit song Born This Way, according to the musical satirist.

"I wrote and recorded what I thought was going to be the first single off of my new album: a parody of Born This Way by Lady Gaga called Perform This Way," Yankovic revealed Wednesday in a lengthy post on his blog at alyankovic.wordpress.com. "But after hearing it, Lady Gaga decided not to give me permission to release the song, so ... it won't be coming out commercially anytime in the near future. Sorry."

Yankovic says he pitched Gaga on the idea and then sent her the lyrics, but was told she would have to hear the song first. So he cut short a family vacation in Australia and flew home to L.A. to meet her demands. "I decided -- based on my belief that people are basically good -- to go through the trouble and considerable expense of actually recording the song. Now, I never do that -- never. But because I was really excited about this parody, I decided I would faithfully jump through as many hoops as Gaga deemed necessary ... A couple days later we got the final word: Lady Gaga says 'no.' "

Yankovic says he doesn't know why Gaga rejected the song, which includes lyrics such as: "I might be wearin' Swiss cheese or maybe covered with bees / It doesn't mean I'm crazy -- I perform this way."

He says he could release it commercially without her permission, but always respects the artist's wishes in cases like this. He has, however, posted the song on YouTube and plans to give it away as a free mp3 "because I also have a personal policy not to completely waste my stinking time."

In the wake of his revelation, other artists rallied behind him. Former Barenaked Ladies singer-guitarist Steven Page tweeted that he wondered "why she's so protective of a song she stole from Madonna."

----

He's a damn mess. :lol: :lol:

Steven is being messy :lol:

Yeah..Gaga is being a party pooper...Didn't Mike even give him permission for a parody of "Bad"?

Yeah..Gaga is being a party pooper...Didn't Mike even give him permission for a parody of "Bad"?

omg I missed that comment by Steven. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think he did, or I don't think Weird Al would've released it.

I hate him for the video:

:lmao:

She needs to lighten up. A Weird Al parody in an honour. And :lmao: @ Steven Page's remark.

Yup, he also let him parody 'Beat It' as well.

• 1 month later...

Archived