Girl, 5, Confessed To Drowning 18-Month-Old Boy In Bathtub Because 'He Cried Too Much'

janetDAYZ

s-JERMANE-JOHNSON-large.jpg

Police in Kansas City are investigating the recent death of 18-month-old toddler allegedly killed by his five-year-old cousin because he would not stop crying. The little girl is now one of the youngest murder suspects in Missouri history and among the youngest ever in the nation.

"We are investigating it as a homicide," Steve Young, a spokesman for the Kansas City Police Department told The Huffington Post. "The suspect is five."

Young acknowledged the bizarre nature of the case in a somewhat bizarre way, noting, "I can say it is way unusual -- I can say that for sure."

The investigation into the case began last Friday, when authorities were called to a home in the 2600 block of Elmwood Avenue around 11:30 p.m., after the boy was found floating in the water. Paramedics rushed the toddler to the hospital where he was pronounced dead on arrival, police said.

The victim has since been identified as Jermane Johnson Jr. At the time of his death, Jermane was in the company of his 16-year-old babysitter and four other children, the oldest of whom was 12. The teenage babysitter, who authorities say suffers from a mental disorder, was allegedly asleep when the incident occurred.

Police said the five-year-old girl, who is not being identified, told social workers she took the toddler into a bathtub where water remained from a previous bath and intentionally drowned him because he "cried too much."

According to the Jackson County Medical Examiner's Office, they are in possession of the preliminary autopsy results right now, but because the case is an "open investigation," they are not commenting on what those findings are.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/10/five-year-old-murder-suspect_n_875217.html

The parents are responsible. Not only should they teach their kids the right thing to do, but also common sense would have told them not to get a babysitter with a mental disorder to watch the kids :umm:

The parents definatley are gonna get charged but they are actually in talks of possibly charging the 5 year old. :unsure: I've been following this incident because its in my hometown.

The parents definatley are gonna get charged but they are actually in talks of possibly charging the 5 year old. :unsure: I've been following this incident because its in my hometown.

It's kinda hard to say what should happen to the 5 year old, but if I had my way the parents would be held responsible for it all.

imo, I think it should be considers manslaughter unless evidence is provided that she actually wanted the baby dead and understood the drowning him would kill the baby.

thats doing too damn much :lol: manslaughter just for their negligence is enough. they should be charged for neglecting their kids, not whether or not they taught the kid what murder was.

Archived