Battle Of The Year's Best Album: Round 7

TwistedElegance™

Battle Of The Year's Best Album: Round 7  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Choose

• [img]http://i590.photobucket.com/albums/ss345/FlashingLights82/Fugees_score.jpg[/img] Fugees
    • [img]http://i590.photobucket.com/albums/ss345/FlashingLights82/0000419364_200.jpg[/img] Céline Dion
    • [img]http://i590.photobucket.com/albums/ss345/FlashingLights82/05141843701037622.jpg[/img] Toni Braxton
    • [img]http://i590.photobucket.com/albums/ss345/FlashingLights82/200px-Spicegirls-spice.jpg[/img] Spice Girls
    • [img]http://i590.photobucket.com/albums/ss345/FlashingLights82/jay-z-feelin-it.jpg[/img] Jay-Z
    • [img]http://i590.photobucket.com/albums/ss345/FlashingLights82/fiona_apple_-_tidal.jpg[/img] Fiona Apple
    • [img]http://i590.photobucket.com/albums/ss345/FlashingLights82/2Pac-All_Eyez_On_Me-Frontal.jpg[/img] 2Pac
    • [img]http://i590.photobucket.com/albums/ss345/FlashingLights82/images.jpg[/img] Lil' Kim
    • [img]http://i590.photobucket.com/albums/ss345/FlashingLights82/img_1_pr.jpg[/img] Maxwell
    • [img]http://i590.photobucket.com/albums/ss345/FlashingLights82/94912c9b134018ecdf9e9a389d898625.png[/img] Aaliyah

one of the reasons i love her as well. :wub:

yes :wub:

I'd advise you to do research..this is common knowledge. Nothing like OIAM had been done before,EVER. It was ahead of its time.

Kate Bush , Bjork , Fever Ray, Antony & The Johnsons, Cocorosie etc have albums that are still ahead of their time and that haven't been done before, STILL that doesn't mean that they helped change the face of music .

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wouldn't say that she changed the music . If anything she helped Missy and Timbaland get a bit more exposure and cross over appeal

Janet was already doing pop R&B anyway and she was way bigger

IT was supposed to come out this year but i doubt it -_-

she put Missy and Timbaland on the map boo. It was a new and original sound that they created, Janet was on a completely different page. She may not have changed music with that cd, but she really did bring some new energy into R&B music...the kind of energy that helped Nelly Furtado sell Loose and Justin sell FS/LS.

i just dont see Fiona coming out anytime soon. -_-

yes :wub:

Kate Bush , Bjork , Fever Ray, Antony & The Johnsons, Cocorosie etc have albums that are still ahead of their time and that haven't been done before, STILL that doesn't mean that they helped change the face of music .

they are definitely ahead of their time. completely on some other shit. :lol: !

she put Missy and Timbaland on the map boo. It was a new and original sound that they created, Janet was on a completely different page. She may not have changed music with that cd, but she really did bring some new energy into R&B music...the kind of energy that helped Nelly Furtado sell Loose and Justin sell FS/LS.

i just dont see Fiona coming out anytime soon. -_-

that's what i meant with making them popular

And that's all . Saying that she changed the face is music IS reaching, there is a huge difference between influencing some artists and producers to changing the face of music.

Madonna

Janet

MJ

THOSE are some examples of people who changed the face of music , Aaliyah didn't and i'm an Aaliyah fan

As pissed as she get's sometimes i can see her shelving it -_-

wtf happened to her? where is she anyway? :unsure:

She was supposed to be releasing new music this Spring according to the news and Michelle Branch. But currently nothing's been said and it's Summer. -_- But the fans get covers she's done every now and then. She's out there but not with anything original.

I was listening to "One In A Million" and realized how groundbreaking it was. Nothing had ever been heard like it before. Anytime you can build a beat with just Minnie Riperton hitting high notes and make it as hot as the original sample -- you deserve a standing ovation. That's why I'll always think of Aaliyah as the only true heir to Janet.

that's what i meant with making them popular

And that's all . Saying that she changed the face is music IS reaching, there is a huge difference between influencing some artists and producers to changing the face of music.

Madonna

Janet

MJ

THOSE are some examples of people who changed the face of music , Aaliyah didn't and i'm an Aaliyah fan

As pissed as she get's sometimes i can see her shelving it -_-

Let me ask you this..

Had you EVER heard anything like OIAM before it came out?

I was listening to "One In A Million" and realized how groundbreaking it was. Nothing had ever been heard like it before. Anytime you can build a beat with just Minnie Riperton hitting high notes and make it as hot as the original sample -- you deserve a standing ovation. That's why I'll always think of Aaliyah as the only true heir to Janet.

Absolutely ..the fact that its even a debate is comical. Double beats had never been used before in this way.It was easily aheahd of its time and SEPERATED her from the typical r&b chick. Timbaland himself is a groundbreaking producer because NO ONE sounded like him and still dont. Aaliyah is responsible for not only putting him on the map but discovering his talents and brought em forth in her music and introduced this NEW sound to the world.

Let me ask you this..

Have you EVER heard anything like OIAM before it came out?

creating something original / different differs from changing the face of music . Already gave examples of people who have shit load of albums that are still untouched and none of them changed the face of music

and no that's why i love the album ^_^

Absolutely ..the fact that its even a debate is comical. Double beats had never been used before in this way. Timbaland myself is a groundbreaking producer because NO ONE sounded like him and still dont. Aaliyah is responsible for not only putting him on the map but discovering his talents and brought em forth in her music and introduced this NEW sound to the world.

It's not. Nobody here is discussing how groundbreaking an album is / was .

Joanna Newton has groundbreaking albums as well and i can assure you that NONE has changed the face of music despite HER influence on some artists .

Same for Massive Attack , Tricky etc

you sir are mixing up two different things ^_^

RIGHT! :lol::devil:

:lol: :lol: :rolleyes:

Absolutely ..the fact that its even a debate is comical. Double beats had never been used before in this way. Timbaland myself is a groundbreaking producer because NO ONE sounded like him and still dont. Aaliyah is responsible for not only putting him on the map but discovering his talents and brought em forth in her music and introduced this NEW sound to the world.

Exactly. Timbaland and Aaliyah made a perfect team because nobody else could do what each could for each other. Timbaland's production was futuristic and in a whole other world and Aaliyah's soft but ethereal vocals made it flawless. I only wish that OIAM could have been a complete Timbaland project instead of Rodney Jerkins adding his likeness to it. Nicole Wray could have easily taken those tracks but she never would have done what Aaliyah could do to them. Aaliyah may not have been a Whitney Houston, she may not have written all her songs, but the girl had an incredible ear and was open-minded to every new thing that came her way.

creating something original / different differs from changing the face of music . Already gave examples of people who have shit load of albums that are still untouched and none of them changed the face of music

and no that's why i love the album ^_^

There would be NO Future Sex Love Sounds without One In A Million. Do you not hear the replica's of that original sound that would later dominate radio because Timbaland carried his signtaure on?

Exactly. Timbaland and Aaliyah made a perfect team because nobody else could do what each could for each other. Timbaland's production was futuristic and in a whole other world and Aaliyah's soft but ethereal vocals made it flawless. I only wish that OIAM could have been a complete Timbaland project instead of Rodney Jerkins adding his likeness to it. Nicole Wray could have easily taken those tracks but she never would have done what Aaliyah could do to them. Aaliyah may not have been a Whitney Houston, she may not have written all her songs, but the girl had an incredible ear and was open-minded to every new thing that came her way.

Thats why I love her so much cuz she didn't wanna sound like the rest of the r&b chicks on the radio. She wanted there to be a distinction between HER and the Brandy and Monica's. I respect an artist who's always tryna stay ahead and outside the box. Brandy and Monica didn't have those guts because they were to worried about fitting into the cookie cutter sound of what r&b is. Ppl dont give Aaliyah's courageous goals,musically..enough credit. Hell, even Janet said she loved Aaliyah because Aaliyah was ALWAYS DIFFERNT.

There would be NO Future Sex Love Sounds without One In A Million. Do you not hear the replica's of that original sound that would later dominate radio because Timbaland carried his signtaure on?

There would be no California Girls without Tik Tok and still the music world didn't change.

Just cuz a selected few (maybe 3 or 4 ...) follow a formula that gives them success for a limited time it doesn't mean that they changed the music World.

JAnet , Vadge , Michael for example changed the music industry why? Because nothing was ever the same after they arrived. The performances , the impact on pop music/ pop culture ... EVERYONE still tries to emulate that and is still following that same formula to get some type of success . That was not what Aaliyah did ^_^

What Aaliyah did was bring a new sound and some much needed fresh air into the R&B world

Music World is about masses not just a few artists because if that was the case than LOL almost every single alternative artist would be changing the music industry with almost every single album release

Joanna Newton has groundbreaking albums as well and i can assure you that NONE has changed the face of music despite HER influence on some artists .

you sir are mixing up two different things ^_^

It was new,it was groundbreaking and it influenced what you was to later hear on the radio ...how is that not changing the face? :lol:

i wish they would influence more artist. ive always wanted Janet to do the whole trip hop thing, i know she would rock that shit out. *sigh*

:wub:

Thats why I love her so much cuz she didn't wanna sound like the rest of the r&b chicks on the radio. She wanted there to be a distinction between HER and the Brandy and Monica's. I respect an artist who's always tryna stay ahead and outside the box. Brandy and Monica didn't have those guts because they were to worried about fitting into the cookie cutter sound of what r&b is. Ppl dont give Aaliyah's courageous goals,musically..enough credit. Hell, even Janet said she loved Aaliyah because Aaliyah was ALWAYS DIFFERNT.

Exactly. She was always ahead of her time with everything. She was in control of her image and sound. Every project was thought out completely and appealed to her. She never let anyone control her career the way Brandy did and didn't rely on basic producers (Monica, Mya, etc). Aaliyah laid the template for people like Rihanna to get success off of. "Rated R" is the cheap version of what Aaliyah's next album would've been.

There would be no California Girls without Tik Tok and still the music world was not changed.

Just cuz a selected few (maybe 3 or 4 ...) follow a formula that gives them success for a limited time it doesn't mean that they changed the music World.

JAnet , Vadge , Michael for example changed the music industry why? Because nothing was ever the same after they arrived. The performances , the impact on pop music ... EVERYONE still tries to emulate that and is still following that same formula to get some type of success . That was not what Aaliyah did ^_^

This is not about popularity,status, celebrity or pop culture influences. This is STRICKLY about the music. You need to get back on the middle of the road.

Archived