2 NEW Q&A with Janet Jackson

Disco Diva

http://www.citybeat.com/cincinnati/blog-2268-qa-with-janet-jackson.html

Janet Jackson literally comes from a musical royal family. Her successes have extended the legend of the Jackson family positively, and with her strong voice, sharp dance instincts and a performance style perhaps only matched by her brother, the late King of Pop himself, has made her the second biggest superstar in the clan. The baby of the Jackson family has also managed a very successful acting career, which most recently has included roles in films like Tyler Perry's Why Did I Get Married and its sequel, Why Did I Get Married, Too, as well as the 2011 hit For Colored Girls. Jackson — who recently released her first book, True You: A Journey to Finding and Loving Yourself — didn't rely on her family name to bring her success, instead creating her own distinct, multifaceted legacy. Jackson's intimate Number Ones Up Close and Personal tour comes to Riverbend's PNC Pavilion Thursday. Notoriously shy and extremely private in her personal life, CityBeat connected with Jackson via email to chat about True You, Cincinnati fans, her film career and the current tour.

CityBeat: What is a normal day for Janet Jackson?

Janet Jackson: That depends on what is going on in my life. One thing that is consistent is that I start every day with a prayer to God.

CB: You have played in Cincinnati before on previous tours. Any significant memories?

JJ: Yes, if I remember correctly, I was in Cincinnati for the Rhythm Nation, JANET and Velvet Rope tours. The one thing that stands out most for me is how wonderful the people are. I can’t wait to get back and see all my fans there.

CB: What inspired you to write your book True You that came out in February?

JJ: When writing True You, it was important to me that people who read it, especially the kids, know that they are perfect just the way they are … no matter what they are going through, they are not alone. It has been a long road for me, but I am happy with my life. I wanted to share with people who are struggling with self-esteem issues my journey to finding and loving myself. I’m hopeful that my book helps them love themselves as well.

CB: How is touring different now than when you were on your first world tour?

JJ: I have always performed in arenas or stadiums. This time, I wanted to perform in beautiful, intimate venues whenever possible. It has been so much fun for me because when I look out into the audience, I can see everyone’s faces. I get so much energy from them.

CB: In the past you have spoken about your love of acting. Do you have any current projects in the works?

JJ: It has been a lot of fun for me to focus on acting again. Yes, I will be in more movies. I am reviewing a few now. The most important thing for me to consider (when) taking a role is that it needs to move me in some way. I am also excited to partner with Lionsgate to produce a film. I’m reading scripts to see what would be interesting to be involved in from that point of view.

CB: What is your favorite song to perform live currently?

JJ: I love performing all my songs. This is the first time that I have done a concert where I only sing songs that the fans made No. 1. It is great to revisit these songs and see the audience reaction.

CB: What can Cincinnati fans expect from your show?

JJ: This tour is a thank you to the fans for supporting me all these years. It will be intimate … There are no special effects. It’s just us … and my dancers. LOL. I can’t give up dancing.

CB: What inspires you?

JJ: I find inspiration everywhere.

CB: What song do you think personally represents you the most?

JJ: They all represent me. My music is very personal. I don’t keep a diary. I write (songs) about what is going on in my life at the time, so they all say something about my life.

CB: What music are you currently listening to on your iPod?

JJ: I have always loved Jazz, Bossa Nova and Samba.

CB: Do you do anything in the current tour to honor your brother Michael's memor on stage?

JJ: I did a song with Mike, "Scream," which I sing in the show. I am enjoying singing it. I hope that the fans like what I have done with it.

CB: In each city, you are recognizing 20 community leaders who have made an impact on their city. How has this inspired or affected you so far on the tour?

JJ: I have loved meeting these kids. They are extraordinary! They are doing everything from fighting HIV/AIDS to educating their peers. I knew that I would be meeting awesome kids, but I had no idea just how incredible they would be. I wanted them to be recognized and hope that it will inspire others to follow in their footsteps.

CB: What has been your most significant moment of 2011 so far?

JJ: There are just too many to mention!

CB: Any regrets?

JJ: I try to live my life in a way that I have no regrets. Life is too short.

NUNN ON ONE: MUSIC Janet Jackson does it for her fans

Janet Jackson grew up on television with the family variety show The Jacksons, following that with Good Times and Diff'rent Strokes. She then took "Control" of her music career in the '80s thanks to producers Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis. She went on to become one of the best-selling artists in the industry, with multimillion-dollar contracts and hit song after hit song, including "Rhythm Nation," "Together Again" and "All For You." She brings these number-one singles on tour with her to finish out another stellar year.

Windy City Times: Hi, Janet. Is there a hit that you never get tired of performing?

Janet Jackson: All of them. [Laughs]

WCT: On the current tour are you performing any different or remixed versions on past hits?

JJ: Yes, I have done special arrangements of many of my songs. You will still recognize them but I had to do them differently to get as many songs into the show as possible.

WCT: How long do you train for the dance moves in the show?

JJ: We rehearsed for hours but with this tour we were in dance rehearsal for about two weeks.

WCT: Sounds intense. This is a tour for the fans, correct?

JJ: Yes. I wanted my Number Ones: Up Close and Personal tour to be a thank you for all the fans that have supported me all these years.

WCT: Are you working on new music at the end of the tour?

JJ: I will go back into the studio at some point this year. I am always thinking about new songs, but I am not sure what it will be yet. My music is very personal and I write about what is going on in my life. So I will wait until I am in the studio to decide.

WCT: Is there someone that you would like to duet with but haven't?

JJ: There are so many people I would enjoy signing with; I couldn't give you just one.

WCT: You have influenced so many performers from Beyonce to Rihanna and they have publicly said that so you can take your pick on a duet.

JJ: There have been artists that have come before me that have been a big inspiration. I hope I do the same for others.

WCT: Tell our readers about your book, True You.

JJ: True You is not an autobiography, but it does have anecdotes from my life. I thought it was important to share what I have gone through. People always look at me and think I grew up with the perfect life. I thought that if people, especially the kids, could see what I have gone through, that they could relate to what I wrote about in "True You." It is a journey to finding and loving yourself. It has been a long road, but I am happy with who I am now.

WCT: What do you recommend for people with body-image issues?

JJ: You need to love and accept yourself for who you are, but you also need to appreciate and respect what God has given you and treat it with respect by trying to stay as healthy as possible.

WCT: Is it still a daily struggle for you?

JJ: Most of us struggle with something. The most important thing is to recognize when I am dealing with it so I can accept where I am and move on.

WCT: I think the new short hair displays a confidence in you. Is that true?

JJ: It is not the first time I have had short hair. I love it! I was filming a movie, For Colored Girls, by Tyler Perry, and I thought the character would have this hairstyle. It has been a lot of fun, though.

WCT: What has been the most challenging part of acting on television or movies?

JJ: Acting was my first passion. It is what I always thought I would do with my life—that or be a horse jockey or lawyer. I have been fortunate to enjoy success in music as well, which makes it hard to accept all the acting roles that I would like and I guess that would be the hardest part. … I am very fortunate.

WCT: Do you have more movies in the works?

JJ: I will definitely act in other movies. I am excited to have a deal with Lionsgate to produce a movie as well. I am looking forward to that experience.

WCT: What do you think of LaToya being on Celebrity Apprentice?

JJ: I'm happy for her.

WCT: Would you ever do a reality show?

JJ: I was on the season finale of American Idol, which was fun. I enjoyed getting to see all the talented kids on that show. I don't think my schedule would allow me to be on a show as a regular, though.

WCT: Have you thought about writing a musical? You could do Velvet Rope, the Musical!

JJ: I have, actually. We'll see. I have always wanted to be on Broadway. I have a friend who was and he said it is a whole different discipline. I want to experience that someday.

WCT: You have so many fans that will always support you. Any special shout out for your gay fans?

JJ: I want to thank all of my fans for their support over the years. It means a great deal to me. For the gay community, love yourself for who you are! I hope to see all of you in Milwaukee.

Janet brings her Number Ones, Up Close and Personal to the Milwaukee Theatre, 500 W Kilbourn Ave., on Sunday, Aug. 14. Visit http:// www.janetjackson.com for tickets and details.

http://www.windycitymediagroup.com/gay/lesbian/news/ARTICLE.php?AID=33254

NUNN ON ONE: MUSIC Janet Jackson does it for her fans

JJ: You need to love and accept yourself for who you are, but you also need to appreciate and respect what God has given you and treat it with respect by trying to stay as healthy as possible.

Lol, if ull knew about my twitter rant...I think Janet saw it.

I hope her dancers have had a lecture about their behaviour on the job.

WCT: How long do you train for the dance moves in the show?

JJ: We rehearsed for hours but with this tour we were in dance rehearsal for about two weeks.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

WCT: Would you ever do a reality show?

JJ: I was on the season finale of American Idol, which was fun. I enjoyed getting to see all the talented kids on that show. I don't think my schedule would allow me to be on a show as a regular, though.

B)

Archived