"Who wants a f**king Katy Perry record?" - Linda Perry

art

Katy hasn't established herself as an album's artist as say something like Adele or Kanye. So of course people are going to just buy the single. And she's right in saying the singles are good but the album tracks suck donkey balls. If you don't have good album tracks, your album sucks imo

Katy hasn't established herself as an album's artist as say something like Adele or Kanye. So of course people are going to just buy the single. And she's right in saying the singles are good but the album tracks suck donkey balls. If you don't have good album tracks, your album sucks imo

What if you have an album full of future singles? That's essentially what Teenage Dream was the day it was released. And there are probably three really strong contenders for a sixth single.

Adele has only released 2 albums and Katy has released 3.

She is completely ON-POINT .... Good music WILL sell regardless ... I bet a really good album could still even hit 5 million if it's good. Linda is absolutely right

5 million is an over-exaggeration but good music doesn't always sell. It really depends on who the artist is. Are they established? Are they new? etc.

What if you have an album full of future singles? That's essentially what Teenage Dream was the day it was released. And there are probably three really strong contenders for a sixth single.

Do the songs work as an album though? And at this point, she has sold 20mil singles stateside alone. I think everyone has the songs so they won't be inclined to purchase music they already own.

Do the songs work as an album though? And at this point, she has sold 20mil singles stateside alone. I think everyone has the songs so they won't be inclined to purchase music they already own.

They do. It's a light, fun record, and it flows as well as you'd expect. It's all well-and-good for Linda Perry to slam her for not re-inventing the wheel, but when exactly did Katy make that her objective? And I'm one of Adele's biggest (and longest serving) fans on this board, but I'll be the first to tell you her music is not original, nor is it re-inventing the wheel.

I do agree with your last point. I've always been surprised at artists who enjoy singles success with their fourth, fifth, or sixth release from an album. It's like, doesn't everybody have them already?

They do. It's a light, fun record, and it flows as well as you'd expect. It's all well-and-good for Linda Perry to slam her for not re-inventing the wheel, but when exactly did Katy make that her objective? And I'm one of Adele's biggest (and longest serving) fans on this board, but I'll be the first to tell you her music is not original, nor is it re-inventing the wheel.

I do agree with your last point. I've always been surprised at artists who enjoy singles success with their fourth, fifth, or sixth release from an album. It's like, doesn't everybody have them already?

A friend of mine tried to get me to listen to TD a few months ago and it just wasn't my cup of tea. Since then I've been meaning to give it another try. Of course Linda is entitled to her opinion, as blatant as it was, but I think SOME songs Katy has made will stand the test of time - "California Gurls" and "I Kissed A Girl" immediately come to mind. The Xtina fans are on aLD are dragging Linda as we speak. :lol:

I think what ppl don't understand is your music doesn't have to have substance to be considered a classic or stand the test of time. Hell even in the 90s there was "Wannabe" that's playful and considered a classic song. Hell even "Baby One More Time".

A friend of mine tried to get me to listen to TD a few months ago and it just wasn't my cup of tea. Since then I've been meaning to give it another try. Of course Linda is entitled to her opinion, as blatant as it was, but I think SOME songs Katy has made will stand the test of time - "California Gurls" and "I Kissed A Girl" immediately come to mind. The Xtina fans are on aLD are dragging Linda as we speak. :lol:

I think what ppl don't understand is your music doesn't have to have substance to be considered a classic or stand the test of time. Hell even in the 90s there was "Wannabe" that's playful and considered a classic song. Hell even "Baby One More Time".

Of course it's not going to be everybody's cup of tea, and I don't think anyone expects it should be. But for Linda to call her out for not having any substance is flat-out hypocrytical. Until Linda Perry can say she didn't write songs like 'Get The Party Started' and 'Nasty Ghetto', or that she didn't make music with the likes of Kelly Osbourne and Enrique Iglesias, then she can shut it. I've long-said she is one of the industry's most overrated writers and producers, and her attitude just makes it worse for me.

And I could list you 100 pure pop singles from the '90s and '00s which are considered classics. People keep saying Katy is on a timeline and that we won't remember her songs in a decade, but as I've said before, I'm not here for people trying to predict the future.

Linda is just mad cause "Fireworks" which is about the same tbhing as "Beautiful", was able to take number 1 and "Beautiful" wasn't. Katy Perry's album was called "Teenage Dream" and she approached it well and created a great album. She has a bunch of good songs on it. The album is great and thats why she got a nomination for album of the year at last years grammys. Linda needs to go somewhere and continue messing up Christina's track record. P!nk was smart enough to jump ship and overall Dallas Austin made the strongest contribution to "Mizunderstood" anyways. :filenails:

Katy's lyrics and concepts are interesting and witty. Linda stop hating. :flipoff:

Its always a hater.

Linda is just mad cause "Fireworks" which is about the same tbhing as "Beautiful", was able to take number 1 and "Beautiful" wasn't. Katy Perry's album was called "Teenage Dream" and she approached it well and created a great album. She has a bunch of good songs on it. The album is great and thats why she got a nomination for album of the year at last years grammys. Linda needs to go somewhere and continue messing up Christina's track record. P!nk was smart enough to jump ship and overall Dallas Austin made the strongest contribution to "Mizunderstood" anyways. :filenails:

Katy's lyrics and concepts are interesting and witty. Linda stop hating. :flipoff:

Its always a hater.

Dallas was the producer on M!ssundaztood. Linda's input is extremely overrated and it's a shame she gets a lot of the praise when the finest moments on the album are all of Dallas's productions.

This bitch has one of the most pissy attitudes in the industry. :rolleyes:

And she always has. I also can't stand her egotistical approach to some projects. I honestly think she put pressure on Gwen Stefani to let her be a part of L.A.M.B. She saw Gwen on a red carpet, put her in a headlock or some shit and was pretty much like, "We're working together." I get that it was playful, but it would've been awkward for Gwen to say no. I remember reading an interview with Gwen and she said she didn't like Linda's process, and that she felt sort of like a stranger on her own record. And I've read other interviews with Linda where she'd brag how she told Courtney Love and Kelly Osbourne their last albums were dogshit - basically telling them she was the way forward. How quickly the bitch forgets she'd still be a has-been if P!nk hadn't stolen her number from her make-up artist.

Its always a hater.

Thank you. Dallas doesn't get near enough recognition for that album.

Archived