"Who wants a f**king Katy Perry record?" - Linda Perry

art

Adele has only released 2 albums and Katy has released 3.

5 million is an over-exaggeration but good music doesn't always sell. It really depends on who the artist is. Are they established? Are they new? etc.

I agree .... I was speaking moreso from the mainstream artist perspective. I wouldne't expect Jill Scott to push 5 million on a really good album. It's not realistic, where if Beyonce had a REALLY good album I would expect her to be pushing near that mark

And she always has. I also can't stand her egotistical approach to some projects. I honestly think she put pressure on Gwen Stefani to let her be a part of L.A.M.B. She saw Gwen on a red carpet, put her in a headlock or some shit and was pretty much like, "We're working together." I get that it was playful, but it would've been awkward for Gwen to say no. I remember reading an interview with Gwen and she said she didn't like Linda's process, and that she felt sort of like a stranger on her own record. And I've read other interviews with Linda where she'd brag how she told Courtney Love and Kelly Osbourne their last albums were dogshit - basically telling them she was the way forward. How quickly the bitch forgets she'd still be a has-been if P!nk hadn't stolen her number from her make-up artist.

Thank you. Dallas doesn't get near enough recognition for that album.

:sigh:

She's just as hungry for hits as the next pop song writer of today. She wouldn't be working with big name artists if she wasn't. She would be in a magical forest recording with chubby Adele wannabes singing about their tragic lives.

I enjoy a lot of the stuff she's helped written, but she needs to get off her high horse. :umm:

A friend of mine tried to get me to listen to TD a few months ago and it just wasn't my cup of tea. Since then I've been meaning to give it another try. Of course Linda is entitled to her opinion, as blatant as it was, but I think SOME songs Katy has made will stand the test of time - "California Gurls" and "I Kissed A Girl" immediately come to mind. The Xtina fans are on aLD are dragging Linda as we speak. :lol:

I think what ppl don't understand is your music doesn't have to have substance to be considered a classic or stand the test of time. Hell even in the 90s there was "Wannabe" that's playful and considered a classic song. Hell even "Baby One More Time".

Those songs are classic but not classic in the sense that it was GREAT music because it wasn't (my opinion) ... They were just the beginning to new genres and changed alot about the Music scene, pretty much opened doors. I wouldne't call them musically classical but more so that they just changed perceptions which was more so tied to the imagery that came with those songs. They are not classic 'classic' plus the success was driven by millions of teens who didn't exactly care about the music but the image

Of course it's not going to be everybody's cup of tea, and I don't think anyone expects it should be. But for Linda to call her out for not having any substance is flat-out hypocrytical. Until Linda Perry can say she didn't write songs like 'Get The Party Started' and 'Nasty Ghetto', or that she didn't make music with the likes of Kelly Osbourne and Enrique Iglesias, then she can shut it. I've long-said she is one of the industry's most overrated writers and producers, and her attitude just makes it worse for me.

And I could list you 100 pure pop singles from the '90s and '00s which are considered classics. People keep saying Katy is on a timeline and that we won't remember her songs in a decade, but as I've said before, I'm not here for people trying to predict the future.

Sure Linda is wrong for name dropping (:lmao:), but she does have a point that I can agree with. And although she has written some substance-less songs, the flip side is that she has written some great songs - Xtina's "Hurt" and "Beautiful" - in her career as well. And this goes back to my statement a few weeks ago that you don't have to be deep and profound to be considered a great artist. Now those ppl who disagreed with me will understand my point. :filenails:

Those songs are classic but not classic in the sense that it was GREAT music because it wasn't (my opinion) ... They were just the beginning to new genres and changed alot about the Music scene, pretty much opened doors. I wouldne't call them musically classical but more so that they just changed perceptions which was more so tied to the imagery that came with those songs. They are not classic 'classic' plus the success was driven by millions of teens who didn't exactly care about the music but the image

Well you pretty much just spelled out the definition of a classic song. :lol:

She speaks the truth, although I would have inserted beyonces name instead of KP because teenage dream has at least 5 good songs on it

That was my point/issue with this piece, I was like hold on Katy has several good records on this album, 5 of which went number 1, now sure there isn't the substance you might find behind "deeper" artists, but you can't have it both ways, say well it's okay they do them, but that's why music is shit now too.

I love her, but I disagree. To call out Katy Perry and neglect the Britney's of the world screams hypocrisy.

Are you saying you think Katy doesn't suck as much or she does and so does Brit? Cause if that's the case she could sit there all day naming mofos. Ima leave mine here, I love Katy Perry's album I mean she has about 6 tracks that I rock out too, I have enjoyed Britney on several tracks, to date "Blackout" is still muh shit. I also enjoy substance like Adele, that's the beauty of the world, we have choice and diversity.

Sure Linda is wrong for name dropping (:lmao:), but she does have a point that I can agree with. And although she has written some substance-less songs, the flip side is that she has written some great songs - Xtina's "Hurt" and "Beautiful" - in her career as well. And this goes back to my statement a few weeks ago that you don't have to be deep and profound to be considered a great artist. Now those ppl who disagreed with me will understand my point. :filenails:

I'd never deny the fact Linda can back herself up with songs like 'Hurt' and 'Beautiful', because they definitely have substance, and there are others to her credit as well. But they didn't re-invent the wheel or even cause a radical shift in music. I can also relate this back to something else you said a few weeks ago: that depth and substance are ultimately down to the individual's perception. Essentially, Katy's 'Firework' is a dance version of Christina's 'Beautiful'. She also has a few ballads which don't rely on Dr. Luke's crack-laced hooks. Therefore I could argue that Katy Perry has substance and that Linda Perry needs to go wash the sand out of her vagina because all she's giving me right now is pressed and bitter.

I'd never deny the fact Linda can back herself up with songs like 'Hurt' and 'Beautiful', because they definitely have substance, and there are others to her credit as well. But they didn't re-invent the wheel or even cause a radical shift in music. I can also relate this back to something else you said a few weeks ago: that depth and substance are ultimately down to the individual's perception. Essentially, Katy's 'Firework' is a dance version of Christina's 'Beautiful'. She also has a few ballads which don't rely on Dr. Luke's crack-laced hooks. Therefore I could argue that Katy Perry has substance and that Linda Perry needs to go wash the sand out of her vagina because all she's giving me right now is pressed and bitter.

You will NOT accuse Linda of having crabs. :lol: Well there is no way for change in the industry to be almost immediate. Look how long it took electro/pop to catch on. And with "Beautiful", how many empowerment and self-acceptance songs topped the charts like that did? And look at the songs that followed "Beautiful" in the sense of artists acknowledging social issues: Gaga's "Born This Way", Ke$ha's "We Are Who We Are", and the notion that "Firework" is a dance interpretation of "Beautiful" are proof of the change that I think Linda may be indirectly getting at.

You will NOT accuse Linda of having crabs. :lol: Well there is no way for change in the industry to be almost immediate. Look how long it took electro/pop to catch on. And with "Beautiful", how many empowerment and self-acceptance songs topped the charts like that did? And look at the songs that followed "Beautiful" in the sense of artists acknowledging social issues: Gaga's "Born This Way", Ke$ha's "We Are Who We Are", and the notion that "Firework" is a dance interpretation of "Beautiful" are proof of the change that I think Linda may be indirectly getting at.

I don't mean crabs. :lol: 'Beautiful' can easily be traced back to TLC's 'Unpretty' or Mariah's 'Hero' (and since I'm a nitpicker, 'Beautiful' is the only one of these three songs which didn't go #1). I also don't think 'Beautiful' had that much to do with artists acknowledging social issues. The video took more of a stance, but the song isn't remembered for its video. Not to take anything away from 'Beautiful' because I honestly feel it's one of the best songs of the new millennium, but I found songs like P!nk's 'Dear Mr. President', Dixie Chicks' 'Not Ready To Make Nice', and Gaga's 'Born This Way' more effective in the sense that they just came right out and said it. I think Voodoo raises an interesting likelihood; that Katy turned her down or something along those lines. It just doesn't make sense to single her out when you want to rant about the current state of music.

Archived