I can't believe Rick Perry really thought he was gonna push that crazy anti-abortion law through...

King Baby

What part of this craziness did he think was constitutionally right and was going to be excepted? This is crazy. I hope he wins for the republicans cause this dude is giving Obama so many ways to smash him its ridiculous. :& :& :&

--------------------------------------

The Supreme Court held nearly 70 years ago that laws forcing people to say things against their will violate the First Amendment. This is the reason why George H.W. Bush-appointed Judge Sam Sparks temporarily suspended a new Texas law that requires doctors to tell their patients medically-irrelevant information, such as stating that the fetus has a heartbeat and discussing “the presence of external members and internal organs.”

Moreover, the Texas law doesn’t simply force doctors to speak against their will, it also places a crushing burden of disclosure on rape victims. As Judge Sparks explains:

Section 171.012(a)(5) requires a pregnant woman to complete and sign a specified election form that certifies her understanding of many of the Act’s various requirements. The most troubling aspect of the required certification is paragraph (6), which reads:

6) I UNDERSTAND THAT I AM REQUIRED BY LAW TO HEAR AN EXPLANATION OF THE SONOGRAM IMAGES UNLESS I CERTIFY INWRITING TO ONE OF THE FOLLOWING:

_____ I AM PREGNANT AS A RESULT OF A SEXUAL ASSAULT, INCEST, OR OTHER VIOLATION OF THE TEXAS PENAL CODE THAT HAS BEEN REPORTED TO LAW ENFORCEMENT AUTHORITIES OR THAT HAS NOT BEEN REPORTED BECAUSE I REASONABLY BELIEVE THAT DOING SO WOULD PUT ME AT RISK OF RETALIATION RESULTING IN SERIOUS BODILY INJURY. . . .

The Court need not belabor the obvious by explaining why, for instance, women who are pregnant as a result of sexual assault or incest may not wish to certify that fact in writing, particularly if they are too afraid of retaliation to even report the matter to police. There is no sufficiently powerful government interest to justify compelling speech of this sort, nor is the Act sufficiently tailored to advance such an interest.

Unsurprisingly, Texas Gov. Rick Perry ® wasted no time in attacking the Court’s decision, but Perry provided no explanation for why he thinks the Constitution allows doctors to be conscripted into anti-abortion advocacy. If Texas can force doctors to effectively try to talk women out of getting an abortion, then there is nothing preventing the federal government from requiring all patients seeking treatment to first listen to a 10 minute lecture on the virtues of Obamacare — or, for that matter, preventing a Democratic Congress from forcing Perry himself to issue a public statement touting his undying love of massive tax hikes on the rich.

In other words, Sparks’ decision isn’t just correct, it is obviously correct. Rick Perry has no right to force people to become mouthpieces for his own agenda.

People have to realize that this current brand of Republican isn't steeped in reality. The quicker people realize that, and stop voting against their own best interests, the better off America will be.

:clapping::clapping::clapping:

I just hope the Dems point that out with commercial after commercial showing just how crazy they are..

I have yet to see any Republican candidate that even comes closes to "Presidential" material not to mention the fact Romney has ran before and lost, I don't know of many candidates that ran before come back run again, and wins. I don't think folks are happy with the economy and Obama has a lot of work ahead of him I sure will be looking for his jobs speech. I think Obama really stands a shot at being re-elected he just has to come harder than he has, folks said before he had a "glass jaw" and he kinda showed that side dealing with the Tea Party and the budget, he needs to start kicking ass and taking names people want a strong leader.

I'm watching Bachmann right now on CNN, and she's not saying anything except repealing the Healthcare Reform Act.

She is such a damn idiot I swear Republicans are not short of out of touch dumb ass White women, Sarah Palin really set the standard for stupidity and using it to gain attention, that might get you headlines, but it does not make you President. :filenails:

Texas likes minimum wage since all those jobs Perry created were minimum wage..smh

I got peeps in Dallas, so I plan on visiting them for New Years, I was there before, and Texas seems to have it's own economy, while the rest of the US is suffering jobs and things were there in Texas, but Im leery about being any place Black folks aint holding down a strong front, that's why I think about ATL a lot. Houston got bruthas and sistas too though.

Archived