Official Unsung thread

jarrylf

Any other real fans of the TVone show Unsung?

For those of you unfamiliar with the show, unsung is a series of mini profiles/documentaries (pretty much what E! True Hollywood Story, Behind The Music, & A&E Biography is) but its all about R&B, funk, & rap artist, groups, & bands that in some way or another seem to be forgotten by mainstream, or their story isnt known, or they were all at 1 point on their way to crossover success (which some did achieve) but in the end most of them either fell quickly for 1 reason or another or never quite got there.

For me this show has expanded my music catalog & my love for soul & R&B music, and gave me artist that either I never heard of or I only knew 1 song by them, and its just great. Thats the whole purpose of the show, is letting everybody know about these artist that you'll NEVER see on E! True Hollywood Stories

Heres the full list of musicians the show has done (and will do next season) this show got me hooked from episode 1

Season 1

1. DeBarge

2. Phyllis Hyman

3. Donny Hathaway

4. The Clark Sisters

Season 2

1. Teena Marie

2. Bootsy Collins

3. Klymaxx

4. Zapp

5. Minnie Ripperton

6. Melba Moore

7. Shalamar

8. Florence Ballard

Season 3

1. Teddy Pendergrass

2. Tammi Terrell

3. Heatwave

4. Musical Youth

5. George Clinton

6. The Fat Boys

7. Angela Winbush

8. Miki Howard

9. The O'jays

10.Rose Royce

11.Sylvester

12.Stacy Lattisaw

13.The Barkays

Season 4

1. Deniece Williams

2. The Spinners

3. Alexander O'Neal & Cherrelle

4. Big Daddy Kane

5. The Ohio Players

6. The Sylvers

7. Evelyn Champagne King

8. Billy Preston

9. Marry Wells

********SEASON 5!!!! COMING JAN. 2nd********

.Vesta Williams

.Sheila E.

.Bobby Womack

.Atlantic Starr

.Freddie Jackson

.Whodini

.Ray Parker Jr.

.Full Force

.Millie Jackson

.DAVID RUFFIN

I've seen every single episode of the 1st 4 seasons sometimes repeatedly, and I ALWAYS come away with something new (and most of the time its the love & respect for another act)

Oh and theres a Few full length episodes on youtube (not alot), but it sucks cause TVone struck gold with this show, but they hardly play reruns (they'll do marathons before a news season, always do), but they dont show it enough, and they dont play the full episodes on their site (they'll do like a handfull at a time or lately 1 a month). Its 1 of my fave shows and is there anyone else here who loves it?

2 great ones to get you a lil hooked

Phyllis Hyman

DEBARGE (1 of the best stories, and saddest, they went through alot of shit)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TZRGmZ-yBU

You can find most of the episodes above from this guy on youtube heres his channel http://www.youtube.com/user/Manyek/videos?sort=dd&view=u&page=1

IKR!!! Like Im gon be glued to quite a few of dem episodes (I will cut someone if Im interupted specifically during Sheila E., Millie Jackson, Full Force, Atlantic Star, AND MOST DEFINITELY DAVID RUFFIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YES)

I been waiting on them to do either David Ruffin, Paul Williams, or Eddie Kendricks. I heard it was gonna be 1 of those 3, I woulda been happy with any of those choices

Did you hear about what happend with Tevin Campbells unsung?

IKR!!! Like Im gon be glued to quite a few of dem episodes (I will cut someone if Im interupted specifically during Sheila E., Millie Jackson, Full Force, Atlantic Star, AND MOST DEFINITELY DAVID RUFFIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YES)

I been waiting on them to do either David Ruffin, Paul Williams, or Eddie Kendricks. I heard it was gonna be 1 of those 3, I woulda been happy with any of those choices

Did you hear about what happend with Tevin Campbells unsung?

I didn't know they were doing one on her him.

I really want to see Sheila and Full Force.. I'm sure they will bring up Lisa Lisa.. :clapping::clapping:

I didn't know they were doing one on her him.

I really want to see Sheila and Full Force.. I'm sure they will bring up Lisa Lisa.. :clapping::clapping:

Apparently Tevin agreed to tell his whole story and hold nothing back but when they sat him down for the interview he wouldnt address anything about him being obviously gay, and he wouldnt talk about him being arrested for prostitution and offering himself to a cop, which made him storm out and he shut down his whole profile. Apparently he was supposed to be the premiere episode of the previous season and they were doing so much they couldnt find a story to replace him (thus why last season only had 9 episodes, not 10 or 8)

I understand sis, like I've seen EVERY single episode, and I LOVE alot of em but the ones I dont necessarily love its cause I cant always get with the persons music or story (STACY LATTISAW.........................dont even get me started, LOVE LOVE LOVE her music tho, Im glad Unsung got me to her music but....ooooooh). Thats how almost every season is for me, its like sometimes I just cant connect with the episode, but in the end like I said I do walk away with something from every single one, some just ALOT more than others (like Klymaxx, I didnt know who the hell they were before I saw the show, I knew Meeting in the ladies room & I miss you but that was it....I always thought I miss you was MJ LOL)

Yea Patrice NEEEDS one.

Do you think Donna should get one? Cause alot of this generation dont know about how she slayed in her time, and hell I love her music but I dont know hardly anything about her story/beginnings (I get the feeling its like most of the black singers stories, "started in the church, rough beginnings, met the right person, maybe started doing background, and then went on to be the mega star" thats just off the top of my head but its SO many divas story, unsung or not). But I'd like to see her get 1 too, but I know your her biggest fan here, you think she needs one?

Yea you gotta check the youtube link I posted, the guy dont have every episode but he has alot of them and alot of the good ones

Thank you! I ended up watching The Whyspers and Miss Lady Teenia Marie. I'll be watching the others later, I really enjoy these shows. :)

Both of them played a part in her untimely death.

Not exactly, her doctor said that she had the tumor since she was a kid and it was growing over the years so she her days were pretty much numbered as it was. BUT....I'd imagine gettin beat in the head like a animal with helmets and other instruments had a part in the tumors growth. Im not no fancy doctor or nothin somethin so I could be wrong, but idk, I wouldnt expect them to exactly slow down the tumors growth.

Tell me why on the Unsung fourm on TVones website, theres people saying that MJ should have a Unsung special? :blink: He's like the least unsung musician on the planet this is for singers who only had a little of the spotlight and then lost it and had maybe a handful of hits...............MJ is E! True Hollywood Story, A&E Biography, & Behind The Music, he does NOT need a Unsung, hell right now Janets more qualified but she's still over qualified (hell Rebbie, Jermaine & Tito are the only Jacksons I qualify desserving of 1, maybe LaToya too, itd be interesting to hear what she has to say about her music and criticism)

Not exactly, her doctor said that she had the tumor since she was a kid and it was growing over the years so she her days were pretty much numbered as it was. BUT....I'd imagine gettin beat in the head like a animal with helmets and other instruments had a part in the tumors growth. Im not no fancy doctor or nothin somethin so I could be wrong, but idk, I wouldnt expect them to exactly slow down the tumors growth.

Any type of head trauma will exacerbate something like a tumor, just based off what I've watched on TLC.