The Simpsons hits episode 500

cnd

The Simpsons hits episode 500

Why both adults and kids have been digging it for decades

ok1k3q.jpg

The 500th episode of The Simpsons airs Feb. 19 at 8 p.m. on Fox

If 300 episodes gets a “Woo-hoo!” and 400 an “Ay caramba!,” then 500 is worthy of a full-on Homer drool.

With Sunday’s episode — “At Long Last Leave” (Fox, 8 p.m.) —The Simpsons, in its 23rd season, will hit 500, a nearly unheard-of milestone reached by only two other prime-time scripted series, Gunsmoke (635) and Lassie (588).

“I never imagined this,” creator Matt Groening says. “I thought it would be a hit with kids. I wasn’t sure adults would dig it.”

But adults and kids have been digging it for decades. “In a business where things get tired in a matter of months, we were able to sustain for a whole generation,” says executive producer Al Jean, who oversees production of the show.

There must be some reason for the longevity of the ubiquitous yellow family, which also has a hit movie, a theme park ride and mountains of merchandise, and has gone from being condemned by a president to being blessed by the Vatican.

“I think it’s the flexibility of these characters. They can do any kind of comedy anyone ever thought of, from farce to reality,” executive producer James L. Brooks says. “For a long time, we didn’t want to deal with the fact we could do anything we wanted. There were no sets, no past, no future. The first group of years was spent not taking advantage of any of that (freedom). Then we started letting it in.”

Wide-ranging topics opened creative ground, producer Mike Scully says. “It’s one of the few shows on TV that does story lines about topics like religion, politics (and) education.”

Josh Weinstein, who oversaw production in Seasons 7 and 8, marvels at the show’s influence on society. “Now, you have people who use Simpsons quotes in everyday life and to talk about the world. I like to think we unduly influenced them.”

There have been perks for writers, too. “I could pretty much cast any guest star who I wished to meet,” says producer David Mirkin, who did just that with Paul McCartney. “It’s a pretty cool way to get to meet your heroes and idols.”

Jean says he has stopped predicting how long The Simpsons can go on. There was talk that the onetime ratings juggernaut, which still averages 7.7 million viewers, might end because of proposed cost-cutting last fall, but “it wasn’t as dire as it was portrayed,” he says. The new deal will get the show’s tally up to 559 episodes.

Jean says new ideas are still there and believes economics, not creativity, will be the reason the Emmy-winning series ultimately ends.

Producer Mike Reiss says the show “could just go on forever. (It’s) a show about the world. We’ll run out of material the day the world stops being interesting.”

USA Today

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/entertainment/Simpsons+hits+episode/6170933/story.html#ixzz1mpHFuNOS

Definitely. :lol: I read that he had to record his role by phone because he's under house arrest. I can't wait to check it out. :lol:

I read it will be airing in mid-March for us. That isn't so bad, but I don't think I can wait that long, though. :lol:

Archived