So......The Whitney movie happened last night....and

jarrylf

It kinda slayed.....remove the kinda, and the overall opinion seemed to be such. Did any of you watch? I think Yaya did her thing, my only complaint was vocally (in terms of the talking) her tone didn't give me Whitney, but she had the speech pattern down. she had everything else down, the head & body movements, the energy, I forgot she was Yaya for sure, and her miming was amazing, you could tell Angela coached her for that part. I think all the actors did really well, Angela did great. And Deborah Cox.....that was EASILY and DEFINITELY the best non-Whitney version of I Will Always Love You I have ever heard in my entire life, and I've heard dozens of covers, and a few really good, but that 1 did Whitney more justice than any song in the movie, as it should've. I loved her Greatest Love of All & I'm Every Women. With I'm Your Baby Tonight, it wasn't so great in terms of the vocal because she was too loud and booming during the verses where she's supposed to be soft & sweet, BUT, it was entertaining as HELL to see Yaya, do that part. 

I just wish the story was more than 5 years........like it's seriously from 89-94.....Yea......I was hoping it'd be the duration of their mariage from start to finish, her career downfall, maybe end with her AMA performance, but I actually like that it left me wanting more, it was paced really well, and that was 1 of the biggest problems of the Aaliyah movie, it wasn't paced well at all.

• Upvote 1

LOL you hated the wardrobe, I hated the wigs LOL Mad TV's wig people should've hooked them up, the wigs screamed "WE ON A BUDGET" LOL But yea I agree it would've made a really good mini-series  Like where it ended very much should've been part 1.  And I also agree it should've been called Whitney&Bobby, it was heavily as much about him & his perspective as it was about her.

LOL you hated the wardrobe, I hated the wigs LOL Mad TV's wig people should've hooked them up, the wigs screamed "WE ON A BUDGET" LOL But yea I agree it would've made a really good mini-series  Like where it ended very much should've been part 1.  And I also agree it should've been called Whitney&Bobby, it was heavily as much about him & his perspective as it was about her.

When I say I hated the wardrobe I hated the wigs too. I've never recalled Bobby rocking an s-curl.  Plus I noticed the extras and small actors wearing stuff from beyond those years. 

When I say I hated the wardrobe I hated the wigs too. I've never recalled Bobby rocking an s-curl. Plus I noticed the extras and small actors wearing stuff from beyond those years.

He didn't have 1 with her, but he had 1 in the early 80s. And yeah I noticed too that the extras were dressed pretty modern

the family released a long statement to Rolling Stone....which you can imagine what it says...anywho I have yet to watch it, I will before the night is out

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/whitney-houstons-family-slams-lifetime-angela-bassett-over-unauthorized-biopic-20150118

Okay watched it :w00t:  I actually took notes *clears throat* :coffee:

Whitney, starts off arguably at the height of her career, you see her adored by fans of all races and creeds, you see the fandom that came with being Whitney Houston. Not long into the film the courtship and relationship of Bobby Brown to Whitney is delved into. The film focuses on Bobby and Whitney's relationship and everything else comes along for the ride. What I can say is I enjoyed the movie, because it didn't go into salcious details that we all knew, and in this aspect Id like to think director Angela Bassett was trying to be respectful despite the Houston family objections.

Yaya Decosta plays a convincing enough Whitney, she had some of Whitney's mannerisms down, but it still felt like the wild and let it belt out Whitney barely showed up. Yaya is more reserved than the real deal. I agree with Jarrylf, Yaya's tone wasn't normal speaking Whitney which took on its on life.

This was probably the first time I have seen Bobby portrayed as a human being, and that's a shame. After this film it just feels like two people on a wild party ride that didnt get grounded enough. Bobby is shown as truly loving Whitney, and she loved her some Bobby. The actor that played Bobby..mmmmm :shifty:  I just sorta wish the sex scenes were a bit played down. We know Whitney and Bobby did a lot of things together, watching them all over one another doesn't feel like romance, it doesnt play homage to what keeps two people together.

Now the music, I was bopping to Luther on the intro, but aside from that I did enjoy the throwback sounds of the time, and the look...I think wardrobe did a fine job. "I'm your Baby Tonight" gave me goosebumps....there are plenty of classic Whitney moments.

I got to give it up for Deborah Cox, her vocals were as good as you were going to get without the real deal's family clearance. She slayed the end of "I Will Always Love You"

Finally, I can see where the objections might come from over the film, it doesn't feel as large as Whitney was, but it is a TV biopic so it is what you can expect with those constraints. Overall, I would recommend any fan to see this film....it didn't pay Whitney disrespect no Diana Sawyer reenactments, no tabloid fodder, just Whitney and Bobby are enough I suppose.

I thought it was actually good but somebody tell me was that lady playing as Whitney's momma Cissy Houston or was she Mary J. Blige? :unsure:

That was the mom on The Parenthood in the 90's, and she was Nicki's sister on The Parkers.

I heard it was terrible :coffee:

You heard wrong hun  :coffee:

Yaya was amazing. Compared to the Aaliyah movie it was better but it was too much Bobby and they tried to make it seem like she was the main drug user and he kept turning down the cocaine when whitney was snorting.  I thought they go  Clive Davis down pat.  he seems just the way he was portrayed

• Upvote 1