TwistedElegance's Top 50 Singles Of 2010

TwistedElegance™

My annual countdown of the year's best.

50. 4th Of July (Fireworks) | Kelis

Kelis' progression from hip-hop wild child to clubland diva never felt rushed or forced to me. The thumping beats of Flesh Tone blended like a dream with her punchy choruses and (at times) off-key vocals. This track is not only the highlight of the album, but now my favourite Kelis track yet.

49. Make Me Wanna Die | The Pretty Reckless

Much has been written about Taylor Momsen's antics both on and off the set of Gossip Girl, and from the interviews I've read I'd say rightly so. But, say what you will, she and her band The Pretty Reckless came very close to matching the mayhem with their debut album, and in particular this track - a scorching slice of Garbage-style post-grunge equipped with sassy lyrics and a surprisingly strong vocal from their lead.

48. Te Amo | Rihanna

Chalk another one up for Rihanna and Stargate - the team appear to have great chemistry. One of Rated R's more tender productions, the lesbo overtones of Rihanna's best (semi) ballad to date worked in great contrast to the album's jet-black bitterness and mostly boy-obsessed singles. This was a really great moment for her.

47. Paper Romance | Groove Armada

Edging closer toward The Crystal Method and further away from their chillout singles of the past, this pounding ode to love in the club was an instant fave. That shout-along chorus is where it's at! Supposedly they played it to audiences for the last time here in Australia, with news circulating the group is disbanding. Bummer.

46. Soldier Of Love | Sade

That voice hasn't faltered at all. 'Soldier Of Love' was instantly recognizable and comfortably familiar. The classic Sade sound of old was slightly tweeked with Timbaland-style drums and a bigger supporting role for Ms. Adu's right hand men, who wrapped themselves beautifully around their leader for what became their highest debut on the Hot 100 yet, and most successful single in 18 years.

45. Raise Your Glass | P!nk

My fave of the many Dr. Luke soundalikes released this year. It broke no new ground for P!nk, but it really didn't need to, given it can easily be interpreted as a celebration of her greatest hits as much so for the underdogs she dedicates it to. As usual, she didn't disappoint with the video. :lol:

44. Everything To Me | Monica

Thankfully upping the ratio of Missy Elliott to Jermaine Dupri, Monica went with what she knows best and released one of her greatest singles yet, the Jazmine Sullivan penned 'Everything To Me'. The gorgeous ballad was a much appreciated return to form, giving Monica her first R&B No. 1 in over seven years and earning her a Grammy nomination. Hopefully a win will follow.

43. Stranded (Haiti Mon Amour) | Jay-Z, Bono, The Edge & Rihanna

Not as big or as brassy as 'We Are The World 25', but arguably much better, this is some of the best work of all artists involved (co-writer and producer Swizz Beatz included). Constructed mostly through phone convos and text messages, 'Stranded' served its two purposes beautifully. One: raising money and awareness for the tragedy in Haiti, and two: throwing a tonne of shade George Bush's way.

42. On Melancholy Hill | Gorillaz

You couldn't find a more fitting title. Damon Albarn seduces you with equal parts sadness, joy, and hope on this standout from Plastic Beach. For all their animated carry-on, Gorillaz always seem to get me with the one song you'd least expect from them. Just a lovely, genuine moment of pop glory.

41. If I Had You | Adam Lambert

He'd enjoyed successful singles before (some may have even charted higher) but for me, this was the song that secured his place. It's not the best song on his album - it's not even his best single - however, it seemed like he'd found his niche working the track's promo. The hideous video just added to its (and his) kitschy charm.

40. Pretty Girl Rock | Keri Hilson

Does nobody else hear the hit single here? If "Miss Keri Baby" stopped hawking that coochfest street single of hers and promoted THIS instead, I think she'd be in a much better position right now. Considering her album drops in a couple weeks, I'm surprised PGR hasn't received a bigger push. If it flops, it's her own fault because the track is radio-ready, it's pop-friendly AND it has a pretty cute video. My oh my it's a lil' bit scary. :rolleyes:

39. Crossfire | Brandon Flowers

It was inevitable, but producing the goods was never a sure thing. Brandon Flowers putting his band on hiatus to dabble in solo stardom could've ended in disaster, but thankfully (however, not surprisingly) he hasn't strayed too far from his signature sound. Sure, it's less rock and more MOR, but the monstrous choruses are still front and centre, not least on this stunning debut single. It begs the question; what is it the other Killers actually do? :unsure:

38. Grenade | Bruno Mars

Possibly 2010's biggest breakout star, he did well to capitalize off his features so quickly - and also co-wrote Cee Lo Green's 'Fuck You' - before dropping his debut album. Smash single 'Just The Way You Are' was a bit too syrupy-sweet for me, but this darker themed single easily certified me (and possibly Ms. Janet?) as a fan. It surely won't chart as high, but you can't win 'em all.

37. XXXO | M.I.A.

Logic suggests this single was released simply because it was the only song on /\/\/\Y/\ commercial radio had a hope of playing (no shade, the album is tight). M.I.A. was never going to make it easy; she seemed determined that those expecting a 'Paper Planes Pt. II' WOULD be left waiting. In effect though, she didn't really disappoint. The song was just as minimalistic, yet just as fun. I also loved the remix with Jay-Z.

36. Everything You Wanted | Kele

Something about heartbreak set to club beats always strikes a chord in me (Robyn has perfected it). It's definitely not Bloc Party, but that's a good thing because Kele appears to have quite a few sides to him. This single is a beast, besting everything else on his album by a country mile. Exquisite. :blush:

35. Make My Heart | Toni Braxton

I love, love, love that Toni didn't opt for a copycat style with her comeback single (even if some of the tanked album-tracks did). 'Make My Heart' hailed all the way back to Ms. Braxton's early days when her singles were given the Mad Ball dance treatment. A fleeting moment of bliss before it all went south again.

34. Airplanes | B.o.B ft. Hayley Williams

I've really appreciated B.o.B's arrival on the scene. I find him corny at times, but I moreso find him intriguing. I love that he has an ear turned toward the alternative acts (Paramore, Weezer, Lupe Fiasco) yet still maintaining a strong pop sensibility ('Nothin' On You' can't be denied). He slightly loses points for featuring Hayley Williams and NOT putting that voice to serious use, but regardless, this song and its hypnotic chorus more than holds its own against some of the more explosive tracks of the year.

33. Impossible | Shontelle

One of the standout female vocals this year, I actually didn't like this song in the beginning, but it slowly worked its way into my system. I still have no idea who Shontelle really is, there just doesn't seem to be much of a personality shining through. But I'll forgive her that because it's refreshing to see a young girl crack the Top 40 with a ballad these days. They seem so few and far between.

32. Talking Like I'm Falling Down Stairs | Sparkadia

In the space of just three years, Sparkadia has downsized from a four-piece alternative band to one solo member, founder Alex Burnett. The act and song probably isn't familiar to a lot of people outside Australia, but it's definitely worth getting into. 'Talking Like I'm Falling Down Stairs' is like Cut Copy meets Coldplay, which of course equals one giant eargasm for me.

31. Katy On a Mission | Katy B

Just when you thought dubstep was dead, this comes along. One of the filthiest and sweatiest jams of the year, this song took me back to the early '00s when Ms. Dynamite was blowing up. The vocal production is especially slinky, but paired with that grimey beat everything just shines.

30. Revolution | John Butler Trio

Opening like dawn and progressing to an anthem of chanting and crashing cymbals, this song plays out exactly like its title. It's been a fairly decent year for Australian music, and this ode to uniformity among our people was a personal highlight.

29. OMG | Usher ft. will.i.am

Feasting off scraps? I'm still convinced this was a leftover track from BEP's The E.N.D., but Usher ultimately did his thing, producing his best single since 'Burn'. I like that he's branched out a little more on this latest album, the pop-dance suit fits him well, and that chorus is stadium-ready.

28. Something Good Can Work | Two Door Cinema Club

The undeniable sound of summer. The chorus plays like a gorgeous loop in my head hours after I play it, and that's often what I want my pop favourites to do. Shout-out to cnd for turning me onto these guys. :blush:

27. You Used To Hold Me | Calvin Harris

Continuing his surge to the top of the dance pack, Calvin Harris' second album is still churning out hook-heavy hits twelve months after its release - this gem proving to be the best yet. I'm surprised he hasn't broken the US charts yet.

26. Monster | Kanye West ft. Rick Ross, Jay-Z, Nicki Minaj & Bon Iver

Allegedly a collaboration, any soul with ears will tell you Nicki Minaj made this beat her bitch. Effortlessly weaving through her verse - sometimes switching accents and personas mid-line - Nicki shines brightest on what is not even the best track from Kanye's stellar new album. I really shouldn't discount the others involved, but props where they are due. Onika more than earned hers here.

25. One (Your Name) | Swedish House Mafia ft. Pharrell

Booming with enough electricity to run a small town, this right here is the sound I want Pharrell to tackle more often. Better than David Guetta's same-y singles, Swedish House Mafia scored a double-whammy this year with their Tinie Tempah assisted 'Miami 2 Ibiza' also winning me over.

24. No Going Back | Rox

Ex temptations usually make for great music, as was the case with Rox's debut single, the post-Amy sounding 'No Going Back'. The former backing singer for Mark Ronson pours her heart out over a lush '60s backbeat, but ultimately finds herself standing tall above it all. A stunning debut that apparently only I have heard.

23. Billionaire | Travie McCoy ft. Bruno Mars

We've heard it all before, but something about this track felt so fresh. It's been a fantastic year for Bruno Mars, and he's quite clearly the highlight of this pop monster which he also co-wrote and produced. Six months on I find myself cringing through Travie's verses (he's so corny) but I'm only nitpicking. The song is a beast.

22. Big Jet Plane | Angus & Julia Stone

As subtle as ever, these two have a way of sucking me in without fully realizing. That chugging beat is so hypnotic, you barely even know it's there. 'Big Jet Plane' saw this brother/sister duo embraced by a wider audience, and ultimately led to them winning this year's ARIA for Best Album.

21. Get Outta My Way | Kylie Minogue

I wish Kylie had come back with this, instead of Aphrodite's rather dull lead single 'All The Lovers'. Chart placings aside, I just think it packed more of a punch. And to be honest, that's what she needed. We already know she's a sweetheart, and that song was way too safe. But GOMW showcased the diva in Kylie, and let her man know exactly what would happen if he just sat there. I still feel a disconnect with her, but this was a step in the right direction. More please.

20. Wonderful Life | Hurts

Anything even slightly reminiscent of the Pet Shop Boys always makes my ears prick up, so when this duo dropped their debut album I was quick to respond. The story is so dramatic; a guy about to jump to his death from a bridge is stopped by the image of love at first sight. With one foot firmly planted in the mid-'80s and the other ten years in the future, these guys are sure to remain favourites of mine for quite some time.

19. No Love | Eminem ft. Lil Wayne

Supposedly he'd already celebrated a comeback with Relapse, but Eminem clearly saved the best for Recovery. This is the perfect track to showcase his skills to any idiot who had the hideous misfortune of writing him off. He gets so many bonus points it's ridiculous. From referencing the Taylor/Kanye fiasco to painting himself as the underdog again ("Relapse was ehh"), Eminem shuts the competition down as only he can, throwing away the typical 16-bar approach and spitting venom over a spectacular sample of Haddaway's '90s club classic 'What Is Love'. Genius.

18. Starry Eyed | Ellie Goulding

Both its title and Goulding's voice suggest teen fluff, but she gives you nothing of the sort. This chick does lovestruck really well, as evidenced on her stunning album Lights, easily one of my faves from this year. I constantly find new layers to her songs, they must record about five takes and blend them all. Whatever they do, it's working.

17. Rolling In The Deep | Adele

Powerhouse voices don't come along every day, and those familiar with Adele's know she's the business. This track is the perfect vehicle to showcase it too - part soul, part funk, part rock, all heart. I can't help but feel she's been incredibly fucked over. Her pain ensures it rivals everything from her debut album.

16. Find Your Love | Drake

It's been debated heavily both on this forum and throughout the blogosphere; Drake the singer or Drake the rapper? I'm sure you can read my pick, shitty live vocals and all. It reminds me a lot of 808s & Heartbreak. Which, is a very good thing.

15. Waiting For The End | Linkin Park

One of the less menacing moments on A Thousand Suns, few will probably get to hear it because the promo has been so lagging since the album dropped. I wish it had reached a wider audience because if for nothing else, they should be praised for the new sound approached with this song. And that's why I love Rick Rubin. Who else could convince a metal band to trade in thrashing guitars for woodwind and dancheall beats?

14. Roman's Revenge | Nicki Minaj ft. Eminem

What a concoction. Swizz Beatz outdid himself, first and foremost, because those bleepy sound effects are the first to grab your attention on this whirlwind track which covers everything from Aladdin to iPods. Of course, at its core is a young woman at war with one of her biggest influences, meaning she not only has something to mourn, but everything to prove. Her blistering delivery surely attributes itself to that.

13. Hollywood | Marina & The Diamonds

Florence + The Machine's dominance of 2010 has meant lesser known acts such as Marina & The Diamonds and Paloma Faith have had to take a back seat, but it's not through lack of material. 'Hollywood' is three minutes in pop heaven, both lyrically and sonically. And she's witty! Listen as she gets mistaken for both Shakira and Catherine Zeta-Jones at LAX. Then, focus on the rest.

12. Nothin' On You | B.o.B ft. Bruno Mars

Further (and probably the clearest) certification that Bruno Mars is one of the best songwriters in rotation right now. B.o.B's ode to his one and only was accented beautifully by Mars' ability to slap the shiniest of hooks on songs about girls.

11. Teenage Dream | Katy Perry

I'm still closing my jaw over her Album Of The Year nomination, but I won't let that taint the impression I have of this song. 'Teenage Dream' is exquisite and sounds like an instant classic. Whereas 'California Gurls' felt tacky, this was just beautiful, innocent, and playful, yet easily the most mature song she's recorded yet. I hope I never get sick of it.

10. Rude Boy | Rihanna

That Rihanna reign almost let up. I still applaud her for Rated R, even if a lot of others (fans included) didn't. 'Rude Boy' is the closest the album came to lighthearted, and even then this ragamuffin-style banger still packed one hell of a punch.

9. Alejandro | Lady GaGa

I can't shake the Ace Of Base-ness either, but GaGa's farewell to Alejandro, Fernando and Roberto was enough to take her one peg higher in her quest for pop dominance. I'm a little deflated with the shift in The Fame Monster's momentum (there are several other hits just lying there!), but I see the other side too. Don't give us too much, Born This Way most likely needs calm before its storm.

8. Fuck You | Cee Lo Green

For all its praise, Cee Lo Green's 'Fuck You' is pretty much only credible for bringing foul language to the Top 10. On paper, that is. Surprisingly, the song's magic lies in its undeniable pop foundations. Sounding nothing like Gnarls Barkley, 'Fuck You''s glorious throwback vibe and snazzy video gave the big man his first official solo hit single - almost a decade after he debuted.

7. Somebody To Love Me | Mark Ronson & The Business Intl ft. Boy George & Andrew Wyatt

One of many "pinch me" moments on the super-producer's pop extravaganza, Record Collection. Boy George thankfully gets back to what he does best, and his inclusion couldn't be rivalled - it was tailor made for him. Most surprising is the way Ronson moulds such a haunting tale of loneliness over a casual samba beat. The guy is amazing, and this track needs to be heard.

6. Clap Your Hands | Sia

Four albums in and she almost sells out. No shade, because Sia Furler has given me one of the greatest pop albums of the last five years in her dazzling We Are Born. She said she wanted to make a fun, dance record, and that she has. 'Clap Your Hands' is one of the purest pop songs of the year, and catchier than even I had realized; it's become the most played song on my iPod - ever.

5. Dancing On My Own | Robyn

Robyn's Body Talk series is shaping up to be the era which will define her, and what a way to do it. Since giving big labels the flick she has really come into her own, experimenting her way, and working with the likes of Snoop Dogg and Lykke Li just because she wants to. This spangly heartbreaker (no one does it better!) was the perfect piece for her to re-emerge on the scene. Honest, catchy and downright beautiful, all while giving us an insight into the woman herself. Are you listening, Kylie?

4. Un-Thinkable (I'm Ready) | Alicia Keys

For whatever reason (many have been offered), the masses just didn't take to Alicia's material this time around. I guess really it's no surprise that a moody ballad didn't break the Top 20 in this day and age, but what irks me is the thought of people missing out on a song like this. It also felt like Alicia broke new ground with this one - slap a heavier trip-hop beat underneath and it wouldn't sound out of place on a Massive Attack album. Love it.

3. Glitter In The Air | P!nk

Literally years old, P!nk's show-stealing performance at this year's Grammys gave 'Glitter In The Air' a new lease on life, and also helped extend her fanbase, which still seems to be growing - something a lot of the other pop girls can't boast. Written in the aftermath of her split from Carey, parts of the song could now take on a new meaning with P!nk set to give birth to her first child next year.

2. Love The Way You Lie | Eminem ft. Rihanna

Call Eminem what you want, but the guy is smart. Relapse might have sold well, but it lacked a defining hit single. Sure, 'Crack a Bottle' broke records and hit No. 1 - but who really remembers it? Enter Rihanna. And call her what you want too. But nobody does hooks better right now, and they obviously knew that. The song is a blockbuster in every sense; dramatic, painful, sad, hopeful and executed to perfection. It also topped the charts in over fifteen countries. My pick for Record Of The Year.

1. You Lost Me | Christina Aguilera

Shame. Shame. Shame. The best vocal of the year, and who was there to hear it? Not many. If any. Christina's best ballad to date (yeah, I said it) was the result of her work with Sia, and as a result of the results, that pairing probably went down with her sales. Ten years ago, this would've gone number one and I have to say it's everybody's loss because this is one of the most beautifully devastating vocals EVER. Breathtaking.

Runners-up

Hold You (Hold Yah) | Gyptian

The Flood | Cheryl Cole

Hello Good Morning | Dirty Money

Miami 2 Ibiza | Swedish House Mafia ft. Tinie Tempah

Closer To The Edge | 30 Seconds To Mars

All I Want Is You | Miguel ft. J. Cole

I Feel Better | Hot Chip

Holding You Down (Goin' In Circles) | Jazmine Sullivan

Careful | Paramore

Kick Ass | Mika Vs. RedOne

And the 5 worst:

5. The Time (Dirty Bit) | Black Eyed Peas

Experimental nonsense from will.i.am, in which he tries and fails to re-scale the dizzying heights of 'I Gotta Feeling'. Surely this time could be better spent crafting Fergie's next solo venture? It's not like you need the other two.

4. I Like It | Enrique Iglesias ft. Pitbull

Dreadful. Go back to doing slightly less shitty ballads.

3. Not Myself Tonight | Christina Aguilera

Belly-flop attempt at riding the then-current wave of you-know-who. When Ke$ha is closer to the mark than you, it's time to re-evaluate.

2. My First Kiss | 3OH!3 ft. Ke$ha

Gut-wrenching party trash from two dipshits who look like they can't dress themselves. And Ke$ha, who actually can't.

1. Barbra Streisand | Duck Sauce

Just shut the fuck up already. :rolleyes:

Yes @ Christ-ina being number 1.. :excited: The best vocal ever from her! I love it and it's my second most played song on my IPOD.

I agree with your top five..except I would have put "What's My Name" or "Rude Boy" where P!nk is.. :blush:

I agree. I do really like 'What's My Name' too, it's grown on me a lot.

No "Tightrope"? :o Other than that, nice list. :P

I'm actually not too crazy about 'Tightrope'. Now, if she'd released 'Oh, Maker'. :blush:

I loved it ever since I heard it! :blush:

I guess we are in sync since you chose Christ-ina Aguilerus as your number 1..I was thinking we were going to butt heads since you like that Nicki child.. :coffee:

I'm actually not too crazy about 'Tightrope'. Now, if she'd released 'Oh, Maker'. :blush:

I love Alphacat's parody best :P

Fair enough. B) I actually had a weird-in-a-good-way, interesting experience with that specific song... I was in the car listening to the song and the sky was cloudy, but once it got to the short instrumental section at the end the sun briefly came out. :lol:

I loved it ever since I heard it! :blush:

I guess we are in sync since you chose Christ-ina Aguilerus as your number 1..I was thinking we were going to butt heads since you like that Nicki child.. :coffee:

I guess we are. ^_^ And yes, I like that Nicki child very much. :coffee:

I love Alphacat's parody best :P

Fair enough. B) I actually had a weird-in-a-good-way, interesting experience with that specific song... I was in the car listening to the song and the sky was cloudy, but once it got to the short instrumental section at the end the sun briefly came out. :lol:

It's God's fave too? :blush:

where is NOTHING ?? how come it's not on the list :shifty:

i'm tired of u throwin DAGGARS @ the GODDESS OF ENTERTAINMENT :angry:

Haven't you realized? I only come here to shade Janet.

2rpy8t0.gif

I'm happy you included "Monster"...that's my shit right now. But part of me can't help but feel the coolness from the shade of the Biebs "Baby" and Willosus "Whip Mt Hair" not being included -_-

I'm so ready for the 'Monster' video. No shade, I just can't stand Justin Bieber's music. Although I will point out that 'Baby' is at least listenable in comparison to his other singles. 'Whip My Hair' is actually a pretty good song, I like it.