How is there not a thread on Scandal?

Because of Love

Her actions regarding the affair are not to be commended, however how she conducts her business, handles her clients and solves situations is professionalism at its highest. There is no animated buffonary for the sake of shock value. And so what he's white. Would it be better if he were black?

It makes her a huge hypocrite and so she isn't a character to be commended at all. So what if there's no shock value? Her business deals with scandals and she's willingly caught in a big one. No, I'd still dislike her character regardless of the races involved, but I feel there is something to be said that the "powerful black female lead" is still a side piece.

It makes her a huge hypocrite and so she isn't a character to be commended at all. So what if there's no shock value? Her business deals with scandals and she's willingly caught in a big one. No, I'd still dislike her character regardless of the races involved, but I feel there is something to be said that the "powerful black female lead" is still a side piece.

Him and his wife are completely disconnected though. It's clear that Mellie is just there for show but there's absolutely no attraction between them.

Him and his wife are completely disconnected though. It's clear that Mellie is just there for show but there's absolutely no attraction between them.

Then why have her there at all? Would it have been so much less interesting if he was single during the show? It's still gonna be a big hoopla that Kerry is sleeping with him because of his position, did he need to be married, too? The moral argument actually takes a back seat to the fact it's such a predictable and corny concept from the start. A person dealing with scandals is involved in an even bigger scandal. Plotlines 101.

If you watched the show you would know the Dynamics between the characters and you would know that Olivia is far from the side piece. if anything, she's the main woman, since he and his wife are together out of convience and to present a family friendly front to the republican party. The president and first lady are not in love. However, you're right, Olivia is sleeping with a married man. That's her flaw and many lead characters have them. That's a part of what makes the show interesting is her moral struggle. Just like Tony soprano is a mob boss, Dexter was a killer and Don draper is an asshole.

Then why have her there at all? Would it have been so much less interesting if he was single during the show? It's still gonna be a big hoopla that Kerry is sleeping with him because of his position, did he need to be married, too? The moral argument actually takes a back seat to the fact it's such a predictable and corny concept from the start. A person dealing with scandals is involved in an even bigger scandal. Plotlines 101.

Not only would it had been less interesting, it would have been unrealistic considering single men are rarely elected to the highest offices in the country. Any image consultant/fixer can and will tell you that. Olivia was actually hired for the very reason of making Fitz and mellie appear to be more in love. All this was explained in flashbacks. Once again you would have to watch the show. And her being a fixer, with a big hidden secrete is only one element of the show. The core of the show is how she tries to balance doing the right thing for her client and herself on a corrupt playing field. She struggles with that every week. Her sleeping with the president isn't even the biggest secrete on the show. The fact that the election was rigged, fitz didn't win and people have died to keep that secrete is the biggest Scandal.

If you watched the show you would know the Dynamics between the characters and you would know that Olivia is far from the side piece. if anything, she's the main woman, since he and his wife are together out of convience and to present a family friendly front to the republican party. The president and first lady are not in love. However, you're right, Olivia is sleeping with a married man. That's her flaw and many lead characters have them. That's a part of what makes the show interesting is her moral struggle. Just like Tony soprano is a mob boss, Dexter was a killer and Don draper is an asshole.

There's no need to have his wife there if she's so minor to his character. There's no need to have Kerry sleeping with him to be her "flaw" to make the show/her character interesting. I'm well aware of the existence of and even need for character flaws. Hers is not only one I find reprehensible but it's also a very typical flaw. They could have done something much more bold for her character to be secretly plagued with or doing behind the scenes, this is basic and just disgusting in general. I guess I'll never get into many tv dramas.

Not only would it had been less interesting, it would have been unrealistic considering single men are rarely elected to the highest offices in the country. Any image consultant/fixer can and will tell you that. Olivia was actually hired for the very reason of making Fitz and mellie appear to be more in love. All this was explained in flashbacks. Once again you would have to watch the show. And her being a fixer, with a big hidden secrete is only one element of the show. The core of the show is how she tries to balance doing the right thing for her client and herself on a corrupt playing field. She struggles with that every week. Her sleeping with the president isn't even the biggest secrete on the show. The fact that the election was rigged, fitz didn't win and people have died to keep that secrete is the biggest Scandal.

The wife doesn't need to be there to make for an interesting show least of all this one. If it's so obvious she's only there to make him look good it takes out so much intensity, as far as I'm concerned. If that is the core of the show then there is no need for her to have such a weak and ridiculous "flaw". The fact that she's sleeping with him takes away from that sort of plot for me. That's a decent plot, her sleeping with him is unnecessary and looks terrible for her character.

There's no need to have his wife there if she's so minor to his character. There's no need to have Kerry sleeping with him to be her "flaw" to make the show/her character interesting. I'm well aware of the existence of and even need for character flaws. Hers is not only one I find reprehensible but it's also a very typical flaw. They could have done something much more bold for her character to be secretly plagued with or doing behind the scenes, this is basic and just disgusting in general. I guess I'll never get into many tv dramas.

The wife doesn't need to be there to make for an interesting show least of all this one. If it's so obvious she's only there to make him look good it takes out so much intensity, as far as I'm concerned. If that is the core of the show then there is no need for her to have such a weak and ridiculous "flaw". The fact that she's sleeping with him takes away from that sort of plot for me. That's a decent plot, her sleeping with him is unnecessary and looks terrible for her character.

Mellie isn't a minor character. If anything she's a main character. But I digress, what would you have her character flaw be. Should she be a serial killer, a mobster who is also a killer, should she be a bitch for the fun of it like Amanda woodard on Melrose Place? You seem so consumed with the cheating aspect that you are ignoring other qualities that are interesting to the plotlines and characters. For the record, Mellie, the first lady is morally more flawed than Olivia. There are worse things being done than sleeping with a married man.

Mellie isn't a minor character. If anything she's a main character. But I digress, what would you have her character flaw be. Should she be a serial killer, a mobster who is also a killer, should she be a bitch for the fun of it like Amanda woodard on Melrose Place? You seem so consumed with the cheating aspect that you are ignoring other qualities that are interesting to the plotlines and characters. For the record, Mellie, the first lady is morally more flawed than Olivia. There are worse things being done than sleeping with a married man.

Is she just there for him or is she important? Which one? :mellow: She doesn't have to be a murder or a bitch, since when did I :umm:....nevermind. Anyway, with all of the political conspiracies true and false surely there was ONE that could have been capitalized on for her character that's much more interesting than an affair. Was she a part of rigging the election? If so, was she one of the main ones behind it? How is that not a big character flaw? That's HUGE and is much more complex and interesting than her sleeping with the guy. The moral aspect, as I said, takes a backseat even though I really don't like it. In general, I find the plotline boring. I didn't say she wasn't. I don't watch the show, nor do I plan to.

Is she just there for him or is she important? Which one? :mellow: She doesn't have to be a murder or a bitch, since when did I :umm:....nevermind. Anyway, with all of the political conspiracies true and false surely there was ONE that could have been capitalized on for her character that's much more interesting than an affair. Was she a part of rigging the election? If so, was she one of the main ones behind it? How is that not a big character flaw? That's HUGE and is much more complex and interesting than her sleeping with the guy. The moral aspect, as I said, takes a backseat even though I really don't like it. In general, I find the plotline boring. I didn't say she wasn't. I don't watch the show, nor do I plan to.

I never said Mellie wasn't important to the show. I said the dynamics reveal who the side piece is and it aint Olivia Pope.

Second of all, Olivia was involved in the cover up of the election rigging. So was Mellie his wife. And the president himself killed a supreme court judge. They are all flawed and none of them are perfect. But they are not all around evil either. The characters all have good and bad qualities. That's what makes the show great to watch. You seem to feel some kind of way about the show. Maybe you should just watch it and get it out of your system. Or at least gain a better understanding of the shows dynamics.

Second of all, Olivia was involved in the cover up of the election rigging. So was Mellie his wife. And the president himself killed a supreme court judge. They are all flawed and none of them are perfect. But they are not all around evil either. The characters all have good and bad qualities. That's what makes the show great to watch. You seem to feel some kind of way about the show. Maybe you should just watch it and get it out of your system. Or at least gain a better understanding of the shows dynamics.

That is enough for me, and again brings me to the conclusion that the affair is unnecessary to the show. It's there for added drama and is something a decent plot, like rigging an election and killing people over it, doesn't need around it. Even if there is still some melodrama. I only started talking about it because of this thread. It wasn't on my mind until then so there's no need for me to watch it.

I completely agree with anyone and everyone who stated that this show having a strong black EDUCATED and fashion forward woman as lead is historical and if that's not a good enough reason to watch it... Well the plot is.

This show is pure brilliance. By far the best show on TV period.. The writers are amazing and Kerry just fits like a fucking glove

I don't get when people go out their way to knock a show

That is enough for me, and again brings me to the conclusion that the affair is unnecessary to the show. It's there for added drama and is something a decent plot, like rigging an election and killing people over it, doesn't need around it. Even if there is still some melodrama. I only started talking about it because of this thread. It wasn't on my mind until then so there's no need for me to watch it.

The affair is the main plot.. The affair makes the show better... The affair drew the audience in then all the blocks tumbled down afterwards... The affair is important to Olivia's character.. Despite her being this strong black woman who fixes other people's problem... The affair shows her vulnerability.. Her weaknesses.. It's amazing

The affair is the main plot.. The affair makes the show better... The affair drew the audience in then all the blocks tumbled down afterwards... The affair is important to Olivia's character.. Despite her being this strong black woman who fixes other people's problem... The affair shows her vulnerability.. Her weaknesses.. It's amazing

AED said the affair WASN'T the main plot? Which is it? :mellow: If it is, then it's a bigger waste of her character than I thought. The plot of a rigged election with her and the president at the center of it is a MUCH more complex and interesting plot than an...affair. If it isn't then I leave it to my own opinion that there are much better ways of showing a character's vulnerability and weakness than an affair.

AED said the affair WASN'T the main plot? Which is it? :mellow: If it is, then it's a bigger waste of her character than I thought. The plot of a rigged election with her and the president at the center of it is a MUCH more complex and interesting plot than an...affair. If it isn't then I leave it to my own opinion that there are much better ways of showing a character's vulnerability and weakness than an affair.

Season one focused on the affair being a secret

The rigging of election was season 2.. And the president didn't rig it.. He didn't know about it until mid-second season.

You're too focused on this "affair" as if it means nothing... The affair is very important for character development for the main characters... Especially Liv, Fitz and The First Lady... It's more of a love story... You make it sound unnecessary when the love between Liv and Fitz is very very important to every episode, every character..

Season one focused on the affair being a secret

The rigging of election was season 2.. And the president didn't rig it.. He didn't know about it until mid-second season.

You're too focused on this "affair" as if it means nothing... The affair is very important for character development for the main characters... Especially Liv, Fitz and The First Lady... It's more of a love story... You make it sound unnecessary when the love between Liv and Fitz is very very important to every episode, every character..

I don't know if the both of you differ or not since I didn't make it to the second season, but this is getting confusing.

An affair isn't necessary to making a solid show which is my point. If the show was built around cases like rigging the election then I'd be interested. It isn't, according to you, so I'm not. Again, this is my opinion and goes against my taste which is why I don't watch the show.

I don't know if the both of you differ or not since I didn't make it to the second season, but this is getting confusing.

An affair isn't necessary to making a solid show which is my point. If the show was built around cases like rigging the election then I'd be interested. It isn't, according to you, so I'm not. Again, this is my opinion and goes against my taste which is why I don't watch the show.

:asham: the relationship between The pres and Olivia is very important.. It is very necessary. It's not a fling.. They love each other deeply but bc their so taboo, they have to hide their love... A black woman and a white republican president? That's insane

You can only go so far with a rigged election show. The show is built around a very complex love story between the most powerful person in the world and Olivia Pope.. That's what drew the audience in.. Idk how it wouldn't.

What other shows do you watch religiously?

:asham: what are you confused about?

You can only go so far with a rigged election show. The show is built around a very complex love story between the most powerful person in the world and Olivia Pope.. That's what drew the audience in.. Idk how it wouldn't.

What other shows do you watch religiously?

The whole plot of this show :lol: I'm debating this for way too long -_- lol

That must be why I don't watch it. I don't go for love stories like that. It sounds so...Danielle Steele :lol:

Uhm, Law & Order:SVU, Criminal Minds, Grimm, Bones, Once Upon a Time, Supernatural, and a lot of old re-runs of shows which would take too long to list. Oh, and that The Blacklist show looks very promising.

The whole plot of this show :lol: I'm debating this for way too long -_- lol

That must be why I don't watch it. I don't go for love stories like that. It sounds so...Danielle Steele :lol:

Uhm, Law & Order:SVU, Criminal Minds, Grimm, Bones, Once Upon a Time, Supernatural, and a lot of old re-runs of shows which would take too long to list. Oh, and that The Blacklist show looks very promising.

The plot is a taboo love story between Olivia and the most powerful man in the country who is only sticking by his wife bc of his presidency and the web of lies they made.. I have a feeling you'd love the Vice President :shifty:

SVU is good.. The rest are blah or too kiddy for my taste

The plot is a taboo love story between Olivia and the most powerful man in the country who is only sticking by his wife bc of his presidency

Not my thing. I can root for a love story, but not under those circumstances. lol

I can understand. Not for everyone, I suppose lol.

The plot is a taboo love story between Olivia and the most powerful man in the country who is only sticking by his wife bc of his presidency and the web of lies they made.. I have a feeling you'd love the Vice President :shifty:

lmao that loony bin. I did love when she read Cyrus though. I cannot stand him!

I watch the show weekly but I do find it highly over rated. I will say that every time I say I'm done with it, something draws me back in. To say it's the best show on tv is so not true. It's ok, but the writing becomes very silly and contrived a lot of times