"Rihanna and Britney's Instagram pics are ruining music videos"

bu.

Stars' addiction to trailing everything on Twitter, Instagram and Vine means there's no need to see their promos when they're out

Music videos used to be a major event in my household. I vividly remember waiting by the TV to see the Spice Girls' Say You'll Be Therevideo on Top Of The Pops for the first time. In 1996, moments like that were a big deal. But would I have pressed my nose up to the telly screen if I'd already seen those skintight black PVC catsuits in a series of ever-more-desperate "reveals" on Twitter?

In 2013, pop stars seem intent on ruining the surprise element of their videos through their various social-media means. Just look at exhibit one:Rihanna. To put it lightly, Rihanna is a fan of the popular photo-sharing site Instagram. She posted 33 (yes, I've counted) "previews" of her recent video for Pour It Up before it was released. So many, in fact, that when I actually watched the clip, it was all too familiar. When I closed my eyes I could see Rihanna's bum, twerking in a puddle. And Twitter was with me, chorusing "Meh, seen it already" and "Blimey, that's an impractical bra". Justin Bieber, meanwhile, has been teasing his latest video, Heartbreaker, on Instagram since July. I can't wait to not watch it.

Similarly, Web Team Britney was so Instagram-happy last week, stacking up 18 behind-the-scenes photos, that I'd basically seen all of the Work, Bitch video without even clicking play on YouTube. The abs, the bullwhip: you spoiled this for me, Britney. The video hadn't even hit 20m views five days after release. Likewise, once Jessie J had revealed in a series of seven "teasers" that she did indeed go to a party with Jourdan Dunn in the It's My Party video, only 5 million people clicked play. I was not one of them.

Sometimes, though, this new trend works in my favour. Chris Brown was so pleased to show us he's not just a thug but also a mediocre video director that he posted a lot of "me looking into a monitor" shots from the set of recent single, Love More. I could half-arsedly scroll through his feed and see the video that way instead, therefore not adding to his play count. Thanks Chris!

Now so many of us have the attention span of Vine-ing goldfishes, what's the point in watching a four-minute long video when you've already seen it on Instagram? Nothing's going to have the same OHMYGODCAN'TLOOKAWAY impact when it's been drip-fed to you in a series of frozen images.

Miley Cyrus claimed that she wanted people to look back on herWrecking Ball video in 20 years. Pop stars should take her words as a warning: iconic pop-culture images are things that shocked you when you first saw them, like MIA's Born Free video. If she'd spent a week posting teaser pictures of dead ginger kids, nobody would have sat open-mouthed through nine minutes of Romain Gavras insanity. We'd just have got a bit nervous for Rupert Grint, then unfollowed MIA on Instagram.

http://www.theguardi...-britney-spears

I think the main thing that ruined videos though is they just simply don't put as much time and effort into them anymore. They have a point about the element of surprise though.

Music videos aren't as profitable as they once were... Time & Effort = $$ sometimes..

An artist just has to get creative or the video will fall flat

• Upvote 1

Right, the budgets are TIGHT these days for videos anyway (and we know why). The bottom line is videos aren't an EVENT anymore..mainly due to tv music networks not showing vids anymore. I think the trade off is artists are alot more accessible due to the internet and that's VERY engaging and draws fans in,today. Back in the day..u could only dream of ur fav speaking to you, DIRECTLY. That's an exciting experience.

I agree with her about not being surprised. All these 'teasers' and shit - eventually I get bored of waiting and when it comes it's like "Meh..."

Music videos are dead. Which is a shame because the siblings completely revolutionised the format.

I agree with her about not being surprised. All these 'teasers' and shit - eventually I get bored of waiting and when it comes it's like "Meh..."

Music videos are dead. Which is a shame because the siblings completely revolutionised the format.

I won't say music videos are dead. It will being an important marketing tool for the foreseeable future, but with the evolution of media, the industry is more focused on utilizing new types of media than the music video.

STOP WITH VIDEO TEASERS!!

They are the most annoying waste of time, I never watch them and it irks me to the core.

I think that that artists are just feeding the audiences need for instant gratification. It's just difficult for some fans not the hear about their favs for 12 hours.

I think that that artists are just feeding the audiences need for instant gratification. It's just difficult for some fans not the hear about their favs for 12 hours.

Those are a very small portion of their audience. I just feel like a 10 second teaser for a 4 minute video is stupid. I wish the music industry were more creative and could find another groundbreaking medium to promote songs.

Those are a very small portion of their audience. I just feel like a 10 second teaser for a 4 minute video is stupid. I wish the music industry were more creative and could find another groundbreaking medium to promote songs.

Flash mobs were great. But that got a little tired pretty quickly tbh. Have you noticed a lot of people doing lyric videos now? Nothing seems that creative anymore.

Flash mobs were great. But that got a little tired pretty quickly tbh. Have you noticed a lot of people doing lyric videos now? Nothing seems that creative anymore.

Flash mobs are cool, but the focus isn't on the music anymore. I see a lot more being done for weddings, anniversaries, and causes. Lyric videos are now just another common promotional tool labels are using.

Flash mobs are cool, but the focus isn't on the music anymore. I see a lot more being done for weddings, anniversaries, and causes. Lyric videos are now just another common promotional tool labels are using.

Labels are doing lyric videos because the fans were doing it themselves though...