Do you think Jermaine Dupri is a bad manager?

jarrylf

I don't think it was published here but a fan on Twitter did a big post asking for Mariah to fire JD as her manager:

Now to play a lil Devils advocate here, to JD's credit and against Mariah on this.....she's been through 3 managers since this era began, Reid, Randy Jackson, & JD.....it can't all be on JD, she's flat out made some bad moves in the last 2 yrs, I love the women but lets call a thing a thang, and not say she had nothing to do with it.

Dear @jermainedupri and CC: @MariahCarey (cos sis, i love ya and you need to open your eyes) pic.twitter.com/Pe9fiJ3m2R

Bkfupj7CcAALBee.jpg

BUT....JDisn't that great of a manager to me, like NOBODY he manages ever really lasted very long or went on to do legendary things. Think about it, Kris Kross, Xscape, Da Brat, Bow Wow, Dondria, and Im sure a whole list of complete nobodies that further my point. He got all names above noticed (for the most part) but didn't keep them going for a very long time, they all seemed to burn out. And I just don't think he can handle managing MC, because I think his strength lies in discovering and helping NEW artists not icon's-legends. Let's be real again in that Usher did it VERY smart with JD, after Puffy made Usher's 1st album flop, JD is the 1 who really got Usher's career up & going.....and then Usher dropped him until years later. So that's my feelings on JD as a manager, he's great for beginners, and no one else.

GOTTA love that lambs message to JD tho HE.WENT.THERRRRRRRRRRRE BANKRUPTCY & ALL HE FUCKING WENT THERE!

I'm sorry but it's not to do with management. She's had a lot of exposure and her name is always in the tabloids (some thanks to Nick for that). She was on Fallon, could easily get on Ellen, did a range of radio interviews, BET hip Hop etc. That aspect is great. It's a case of the music. The music is just not that good. It's cute and I like them all but it's not that good. #Beautiful was a step in the right direction but then the injury happened and the whole era was thrown off track - and she came back with TALG which was never going to do anything...followed by You're Mine which I love but it was just basic as fuck. If the music took off then she'd have released the album already.

• Upvote 2

I hear you Bu, and I somewhat agree, but I think it's her promoting the music, the only song she was on her toes promoting the life out of in the best ways was #Beautiful, we all know TAOLG wasn't gong top 20, but damnit if it was gonna be a single she HAD to do something more than perform it twice, if she thought it was a bad choice, throw another single out a month later (not 3months later like your giving it room to grow while only having since performed it twice). And t her promo has seemed to be more about her life & Idol & Nikki and making the album than the new singles. I cant help but credit that to bad management, like now that Your Mine (eternal) is a total bust I think a good move would've been push up the release date or immediately throw another single out (and actually go around performing it like she did #Beautiful). I just don't think it's as simple as it's the music because tho I do think the music of the last 2 years have been inconsistant with each other and share no 1 common sound or vibe, of the 7-ish songs we got, 6 werent bad, 3 were great, and 2 were good. I think it's really the way her camps been handling the singles post #Beautiful that's the problem.

I hear you Bu, and I somewhat agree, but I think it's her promoting the music, the only song she was on her toes promoting the life out of in the best ways was #Beautiful, we all know TAOLG wasn't gong top 20, but damnit if it was gonna be a single she HAD to do something more than perform it twice, if she thought it was a bad choice, throw another single out a month later (not 3months later like your giving it room to grow while only having since performed it twice). And t her promo has seemed to be more about her life & Idol & Nikki and making the album than the new singles. I cant help but credit that to bad management, like now that Your Mine (eternal) is a total bust I think a good move would've been push up the release date or immediately throw another single out (and actually go around performing it like she did #Beautiful). I just don't think it's as simple as it's the music because tho I do think the music of the last 2 years have been inconsistant with each other and share no 1 common sound or vibe, of the 7-ish songs we got, 6 werent bad, 3 were great, and 2 were good. I think it's really the way her camps been handling the singles post #Beautiful that's the problem.

I agree for the most part but promo is promo though -_-. People like Keri and them can only dream of half what she had.

He still doing the "managing" thing :mellow: That shit worked in the 90s where producers were managers too but I would laugh at that today. Plz. Diddy is another example..

And Randy Jackson..doesn't he play instruments? Is managing in his resume? Help me out with this one cuz I'm lost

He still doing the "managing" thing :mellow: That shit worked in the 90s where producers were managers too but I would laugh at that today. Plz. Diddy is another example..

And Randy Jackson..doesn't he play instruments? Is managing in his resume? Help me out with this one cuz I'm lost

Probably not anymore since MC is struggling still

This wasn't Randy's first managing gig.. He's managed unknown bands.. MC was his largest client

Benny Medina was her manager during TEOM and the beginning of E=MC2 and he did a great job; I wouldn't mind having him back... although he was allegedly controlling and an even bigger "divo" lol. JD wasn't exactly my first manager choice but I get it -- she trusts him. Maybe not the best business decision ever ever made but it is what it is lol.

The shoulder injury wasn't the main reason for the pushbacks (that would be her immersion in the songwriting process); it just made the release date indefinite. Had it not happened, I believe the album would've come out fall 2013. In any case, as long as the album is released eventually and it's in my hands; that's all I care about. B)

Benny Medina was her manager during TEOM and the beginning of E=MC2 and he did a great job; I wouldn't mind having him back... although he was allegedly controlling and an even bigger "divo" lol. JD wasn't exactly my first manager choice but I get it -- she trusts him. Maybe not the best business decision ever ever made but it is what it is lol.

The shoulder injury wasn't the main reason for the pushbacks (that would be her immersion in the songwriting process); it just made the release date indefinite. Had it not happened, I believe the album would've come out fall 2013. In any case, as long as the album is released eventually and it's in my hands; that's all I care about. B)

HOLY SHIT, that makes sooo much sense that he was her manager, because he's a VERY good VERY successful manager...tho he is a bit of a diva, douchey & yea most of his former clients said he was too much, but damnit the man gets results. I think thats the problem with JD, it falls under the stigma of having close friends work for/with you. Sure she trusts him & loves him like a brother probably, but he's just a sucky manager (unless youre a new artist)

And we can't forget we all just about were on the same page before the shoulder injury that she was working too hard & too much for #Beautiful and truth is it was long time for the 2nd single by the time that injury happened. And yea that's the most important thing to me to that it gets out, I really do think this could content wise be her best post 00 album, and most eclectic, I hope so. I just hate that it seems all the pushbacks and drama sems to be taking center stage of it.

Im very bothered that it's April and theres no album title or cover........that's not sitting well with me.

This album will be scrapped....

She's come to far for that. It'll come out, but when is the question.

I think thats the problem with JD, it falls under the stigma of having close friends work for/with you. Sure she trusts him & loves him like a brother probably, but he's just a sucky manager (unless youre a new artist)

It's similar to a Janet and Gil situation imo.

Gil isn't Janet's manager :umm:

Gil has literally no power over promotion, production, and music.. Just choreography and tours :umm: sooooo that's a fail

I meant a lame business relationship based on friendship that needs to end :umm:

I'm sorry but it's not to do with management. She's had a lot of exposure and her name is always in the tabloids (some thanks to Nick for that). She was on Fallon, could easily get on Ellen, did a range of radio interviews, BET hip Hop etc. That aspect is great. It's a case of the music. The music is just not that good. It's cute and I like them all but it's not that good. #Beautiful was a step in the right direction but then the injury happened and the whole era was thrown off track - and she came back with TALG which was never going to do anything...followed by You're Mine which I love but it was just basic as fuck. If the music took off then she'd have released the album already.

I like that Bu, because really mgmt and all be damned if the music aint on point, its not happening that tends to be the issue with many artists out here, with big name artists its become way too easy to hear not so good music as the reason shit aint popping.

I like that Bu, because really mgmt and all be damned if the music aint on point, its not happening that tends to be the issue with many artists out here, with big name artists its become way too easy to hear not so good music as the reason shit aint popping.

Yea but as I stated, the problem for her hasn't been so much the music as it is the lack of promotion for any song that wasn't #Beautiful, which is the only song she promoted like your supposed to...until it turned into 6months of no 2nd single.....it was a bad management decision to do a 3rd remix video (which caused the injury) instead of putting out another single when it was the right time (like July), and then when she did released that 2nd single, VERY little promo, 2 performances, no video, then releases the 3rd single in another 3 months and performance wise only did it once (meanwhile award season came & went with no sign of MC). It was alot more technical than "The music wasn't good", she's done more promo for music that was much less good. had single 2 & 3 been released at the right times and did nothing I think I could see that more.

Yea but as I stated, the problem for her hasn't been so much the music as it is the lack of promotion for any song that wasn't #Beautiful, which is the only song she promoted like your supposed to...until it turned into 6months of no 2nd single.....it was a bad management decision to do a 3rd remix video (which caused the injury) instead of putting out another single when it was the right time (like July), and then when she did released that 2nd single, VERY little promo, 2 performances, no video, then releases the 3rd single in another 3 months and performance wise only did it once (meanwhile award season came & went with no sign of MC). It was alot more technical than "The music wasn't good", she's done more promo for music that was much less good. had single 2 & 3 been released at the right times and did nothing I think I could see that more.

Having your name pop up for a year is promo according to some when a certain album by a certain artist was released :filenails: - even if that means appearing in newspapers, doing shows not singing songs relating to a said album or talking about stuff not relating to the said album (or song in her case) etc. #bored #beingmessy

She should have performed the songs more though. She was lazy with TALG and YM. But the music was also not that good. I even find Beautiful underwhelming despite loving it (mainly because I feel it was too short).