Black/Ethnic Minorities in Film

bu.

Brave was actually set in Scotland, but the point still stands. Most of Disney's movies come from European stories. The Princess and the Frog, which was originally titled The Frog Prince, is also originally a "white" story by the Brothers' Grimm. Disney just changed it. With most of the movies Disney makes, they are keeping to the races of their original fairytales. It would be nice to see them flip them more often like TPatF, though. It'd be better if they incorporated more fairytales and stories from other cultures, but most of the ones they've done are the most famous so they're what everyone knows. It makes sense to work with those. The people who go on and on about this "whitewashing" don't understand what that word means.

• Upvote 1

Whitewashing is in a lot of films but I don't think Disney is a big offender about that. If the original characters are European then it makes sense that they are white, or whatever ethnicity that country has. Whitewashing would be to make a movie about Egyptian kings and queens and make all the characters white. You can't make a movie about African royalty with white characters :umm:

• Upvote 2

Whitewashing is in a lot of films but I don't think Disney is a big offender about that. If the original characters are European then it makes sense that they are white, or whatever ethnicity that country has. Whitewashing would be to make a movie about Egyptian kings and queens and make all the characters white. You can't make a movie about African royalty with white characters :umm:

Like Cleopatra? :asham:

Yup! LOL. They're making a movie called "The Gods of Egypt" with all European actors <_<

This doesn't look very white to me, unless white ppl have gotten paler over time LOL

Ancient+Egypt+Clothing.jpg

LOL! I remember hearing about that movie :lol:. Don't forget depictions of Jesus lol.

Like Cleopatra? :asham:

Yup! LOL. They're making a movie called "The Gods of Egypt" with all European actors <_<

This doesn't look very white to me, unless white ppl have gotten paler over time LOL

Ancient+Egypt+Clothing.jpg

Well to be fair in Cleopatra's case, she was basically Macedonian of the Ptolemaic dynasty :lol: After Alexander died and his empire was split, one of his generals took over as king/pharaoh of Egypt and thanks to a ton of incest pretty much kept their dynasty white. So she really was white, with maybe a little Egyptian blood as a generous given. :lol:

This movie here that you're talking about is whitewashing, though. :umm:

• Upvote 1

Yessssss I man from the middle east, with dark skin and hair like wool is a blue eyed blonde haired Swedish man lmaooooo whitewashing is ridiculous LOL

I just read someone say "Well Jesus father is God and God isn't Middle Eastern" as a defence for him being depicted white :asham:

Well to be fair in Cleopatra's case, she was basically Macedonian of the Ptolemaic dynasty :lol: After Alexander died and his empire was split, one of his generals took over as king/pharaoh of Egypt and thanks to a ton of incest pretty much kept their dynasty white. So she really was white, with maybe a little Egyptian blood as a generous given. :lol:

This movie here that you're talking about is whitewashing, though. :umm:

Well damn! Thanks for the history lesson haha. I genuinely didn't know any of that :asham:!

I just read someone say "Well Jesus father is God and God isn't Middle Eastern" as a defence for him being depicted white :asham:

Well damn! Thanks for the history lesson haha. I genuinely didn't know any of that :asham:!

lmfao ppl will day anything to justify whitewashing. Like that show "Girls" and "How I Met Your Mother" and "Friends", how is it set in NYC and have NO colored people. "Sex In The City" too! NYC is like the most diverse city on this planet. It's ridiculous LOL

Yea they whitewash, and it seems pretty evident they know exactly what their doing, my mom always said the biggest example of that was LionKing. That here was this Disney movie set in Africa, but it's about the animals, great movie we all know, but that....that is something to think about.

Yea they whitewash, and it seems pretty evident they know exactly what their doing, my mom always said the biggest example of that was LionKing. That here was this Disney movie set in Africa, but it's about the animals, great movie we all know, but that....that is something to think about.

:umm: Besides that since that's pretty debatable, and the Lion King story is loosely based on Shakespeare's Hamlet and the fact they did have some black actors credited in key roles, what else do you think they've "whitewashed"?

Yes, it's whitewashed.

Most of the stories are fairytales/fiction (with the exception of a few based around actual events). Nothing explicitly states that those characters HAD to be white even given the settings.

It's very easy to do something similar to what Whitney did with "Cinderella". A multi-racial cast (EX. One black and one white parent with an Asian child), with no mention made to race or differences in the ethnicity of the characters.

In fact, I would enjoy if all entertainment followed that.

*shrugs*

We're still a long way from that.

So they aren't whitewashed. That would mean Disney would have taken a story and changed its characters or heritage. You just said yourself they didn't do that. It sounds like you take issue with them not going out of their way to make characters black that for all intents and purposes would not be given the context.

I mean they made Sebastian Jamaican in the Little Mermaid and considering the fairy tale is Danish well, it does look they went out of their way to add a little diversity :coffee:

• Upvote 1

^ Exactly. As I said, how is it whitewashing when the origins of the stories, therefore the original characters, are European/"white"? They never changed any characters from non-white to white. They actually did the reverse with The Princess and the Frog.

People using words in the wrong context...

4826789631_paddling_xlarge.jpeg