Black/Ethnic Minorities in Film

bu.

You missed the ENTIRE point of what I was saying. lol

Even Rochester, though we don't necessarily see eye to eye on the topic, got what I was saying and where I was coming from. lol

You want a Disney film that has "muliti-racial character in-order to depict all races"

For what, I ask, For what?

Why wouldn't a person want a Disney film, or any film for that matter, to be multi-racial?

However, that wasn't the only thing that flew over your head entirely. lol

If they created the story from scratch... Sure.. do as they please.. but since more than half of their princesses are based off actual fiction stories.. Dating back between 1500- and the early 1900s.. Then I think it's safe to stick to the script

You are too radical... Nothing flew over my head... It's just radical and irrational thinking

That being said.. No.. Disney is not whitewashing children based on non-fiction locations and time periods

If they created the story from scratch... Sure.. do as they please.. but since more than half of their princesses are based off actual fiction stories.. Dating back between 1500- and the early 1900s.. Then I think it's safe to stick to the script

You are too radical... Nothing flew over my head... It's just radical and irrational thinking

18fybq.jpg

Go back and read what you just wrote...

Then go back and read what I've said...

If you take the time to actually understand where I'm coming from..... Nevermind... so have you been to the 20/20 tour? :excited:

Go back and read what you just wrote...

Then go back and read what I've said...

If you take the time to actually understand where I'm coming from..... Nevermind... so have you been to the 20/20 tour? :excited:

Nothing explicitly states that those characters HAD to be white even given the settings.

The original stories that Disney stole from "explicitly states" that those characters had to be "white" or whatever race, given the settings.. because 98% the settings take place between 1500-early 1900 Europe

No... He's not worth it

It doesn't make sense to change the colour of the skin tone of princesses to please anyone.. Keep the characters to it's nearly original form.. This isn't for adults.. it's for innocent children. They don't see color.. They are taught to hate... Like someone taught TOF to hate popular white people and white fairy-tale characters

They don't see color but seeing these princesess with gorgeous features and thick flowy hair well past their asses (except Snow White & Cinderella) can have a negative effect on little girls of other races, I know first hand from growing up with my sister who because of those movies HATED her hair & features and wanted it like theirs, luckily we have a good mom that shut that down and reinforced the whole "you're beautiful the way you are" stuff, but still that's not everybody. But images can have influence over kids.

Hell Disney's effect on me was to never trust step-mothers, but having a great 1 changed that, and that's besides the point.

• Upvote 1

They don't see color but seeing these princesess with gorgeous features and thick flowy hair well past their asses (except Snow White & Cinderella) can have a negative effect on little girls of other races, I know first hand from growing up with my sister who because of those movies HATED her hair & features and wanted it like theirs, luckily we have a good mom that shut that down and reinforced the whole "you're beautiful the way you are" stuff, but still that's not everybody. But images can have influence over kids.

Hell Disney's effect on me was to never trust step-mothers, but having a great 1 changed that, and that's besides the point.

Yes image is a big thing but I'm not sure what you want Disney to do about that... When you think the word "princess" you don't think Short nappy hair (no matter the race)

I didn't take relationship advice from Disney.. A children's company.. You should be focusing on the story of an under-privileged child coming up and marrying into success -_-

Yes image is a big thing but I'm not sure what you want Disney to do about that... When you think the word "princess" you don't think Short nappy hair (no matter the race)

I didn't take relationship advice from Disney.. A children's company.. You should be focusing on the story of an under-privileged child coming up and marrying into success -_-

But that's the sad thing, is that there are alot of real life African & Egyptian Princessess both real life & fictional that most people have no knowelge on that Disney could whip up some fun imagery and story and make it known like they did with Pocahontas, yet when Disney went to Africa they omitted the people, the point about Lion King being based off of Hamlet is a very true 1 and accurate 1 that I never thought of, but it brings me to the question of why did that have to be told through animals instead of people (or in alot of Disney cases people & animals, which would've been more likely for them to do), something to think about. Like isn't that the 1st Disney movie to where every character is a animal? Why that 1?

Oh yea I don't either, but it does mess up kids to think someday your rich prince will come and sweep you off to a gigantic castle and there shall never be a problem again.

But that's the sad thing, is that there are alot of real life African & Egyptian Princessess both real life & fictional that most people have no knowelge on that Disney could whip up some fun imagery and story and make it known like they did with Pocahontas, yet when Disney went to Africa they omitted the people, the point about Lion King being based off of Hamlet is a very true 1 and accurate 1 that I never thought of, but it brings me to the question of why did that have to be told through animals instead of people (or in alot of Disney cases people & animals, which would've been more likely for them to do), something to think about. Like isn't that the 1st Disney movie to where every character is a animal? Why that 1?

Oh yea I don't either, but it does mess up kids to think someday your rich prince will come and sweep you off to a gigantic castle and there shall never be a problem again.

Bc it's a child's cartoon.. That's why it was animalized.. Bc 8 year olds love animals :umm: it's that simple

Meh

Bc it's a child's cartoon.. That's why it was animalized.. Bc 8 year olds love animals :umm: it's that simple

Meh

Yet it's their 1st to be full animal & their 1st to be in Africa. :umm: If their pattern had been doing all animal characters all over the world I could see less of a thing about it, and it does make sense that it's in Africa with the animals that live there, but Im saying it's easily like Aladdin where it could've been both animals & human & still be well.

Would it have been better if TLK was told through European animals instead? :umm: Seems like a "damned if they do, damned if they don't" situation.

Oh, and btw, I'm also one of those who grew up on Disney movies and I never hated anything about myself. Belle, my favorite princess, doesn't look like me. I never cared before and I don't care now. She's my favorite because our personalities are similar and she made me love being such a bookworm. I never felt the need to look more like any of them, but I always felt inspired with how Disney could make children's stories so full of lessons, and in some cases, decent models to look up to. That's the beauty of fiction. A child can, although being entertained, see the heart of what these stories are trying to convey. It's such a shame that as adults so many of us have that spirit filtered out of us.

• Upvote 3

The movie is called "The Lion King" :umm:

Madagascar is in Africa.. No humans.. Hmmm RACISTS!!!!!

Irrational :rolleyes:

Except..no, the sequel is in Africa, part 1 is in a Zoo, part 3 is in a Circus, both involving people, havent seen 2 so I don't know if they do or dont :coffee:

Would it have been better if TLK was told through European animals instead? :umm: Seems like a "damned if they do, damned if they don't" situation.

Oh, and btw, I'm also one of those who grew up on Disney movies and I never hated anything about myself. Belle, my favorite princess, doesn't look like me. I never cared before and I don't care now. She's my favorite because our personalities are similar and she made me love being such a bookworm. I never felt the need to look more like any of them, but I always felt inspired with how Disney could make children's story so full of lessons, and in some cases, decent models to look up to. That's the beauty of fiction. A child can, although being entertained, see the heart of what these stories are trying to convey. It's such a shame that as adults so many of us have that spirit filtered out of us.

I don't see how they would've been damned if they didn't actually :asham: . It's not about the location as much as it is that theres no people in it, the location is a minor extension to that. If it were Europe and had

Well that's great for you but that's not every girls story, I lived with 1 who couldn't relate to that. Like yea I admire Disney's writting and ofcourse the animation and they've always done great with hirring actors but on the socially & racially conscious aspect with characters...They're better than they're getting better.

Disney definitely has an impact. It's important that children's movies and books offer diversity. Growing up, I did only think princes and princesses were white, so you can only imagine my shock when I grew older and discovered African royalty, princes and princesses who looked like me. You can't downplay the effect that media has in shaping the way a child thinks.

• Upvote 1

No they're definitely not. Have you never seen a lion before in real life? They aren't exclusive to one continent. Lions have a big presence In Asia as well.

Natural habitat :umm: not zoos

The Lion King is based off African Lions.. Which are the most popular, well-know lions this world has.. Disney's drawers had a live African Lion as a muse while making the film

But their are lessor types of lions but no one currs

http://www.animalplanet.com/tv-shows/wild-kingdom/about-animals/asiatic-vs-african.htm

Disney definitely has an impact. It's important that children's movies and books offer diversity. Growing up, I did only think princes and princesses were white, so you can only imagine my shock when I grew older and discovered African royalty, princes and princesses who looked like me. You can't downplay the effect that media has in shaping the way a child thinks.

You know you right. I do remember being shocked that there was African royalty. It led me into a obsession over Egypt for like 3 years from ages 8-10. No help of Disney. I was SHOCKED The Prince of Egypt wasn't Disney.......now I'm not

Why y'all trynna act like Mulan, Pocahontas, Jasmine and Esmerleda ain't happen? Given the roster of all the Disney girls, which now includes Tiana, it is pretty balanced. Of course white chicks outweigh, but it's not surprising they'd be more in number given white people in general dominate western media.

• Upvote 2

Well I have been to Africa several times and never have I seen a lion there so it really wouldn't make a difference where the movie was set, for people who have seen their fair share of the world.

So lemme get this straight.. You been to Africa and never seen a lion so that mean Africans lions aren't from Africa so Disney can put African Lions in South America and no one would question why :sigh:

I've been to Africa, never, and know that that's where Lions are naturally from.. Thank god for the Discovery Channel and Animal Planet and zoos.. And books.. And the internet.. Or just common animal information :umm:

Please stop debating me on where African Lions are naturally from

So lemme get this straight.. You been to Africa and never seen a lion so that mean Africans lions aren't from Africa so Disney can put African Lions in South America and no one would question why :sigh:

I've been to Africa, never, and know that that's where Lions are naturally from.. Thank god for the Discovery Channel and Animal Planet and zoos.. And books.. And the internet.. Or just common animal information :umm:

Please stop debating me on where African Lions are naturally from

It doesn't matter where they are naturally from, it matters that they are everywhere. That movie could have been set anywhere, that is my point. I never said African lions weren't from Africa. Reading is fundamental.

You know you right. I do remember being shocked that there was African royalty. It led me into a obsession over Egypt for like 3 years from ages 8-10. No help of Disney. I was SHOCKED The Prince of Egypt wasn't Disney.......now I'm not

Yup. It never hurts to put a little more diversity in your work! I guess white supremacy rules even in the world of fiction.