Black/Ethnic Minorities in Film

bu.

Yeah, they'd probably have to make up something. The back story could be the parents coming together from two different kingdoms. There are a few directions it could go in ^_^

Probably, and that'd be very cool! I think they'll get around to it one day. It'd be beautiful to see. Tbh, they don't even have to explain why she is mixed and just make her biracial/multiracial. Just show her interacting with her parents and go from there. Create an entire kingdom set in the distant past and not worry about all of those details. It's a fictional story anyway so there's really no need to explain a lot of it :lol:

Oh yeah speaking of Brandy's Cinderella, I personally enjoyed how they did it ~ it was all about the acting performances. I mean if a 600-year old fairy godmother can magically appear, fly through the air, and turn pumpkins into carriages, then I don't see why a black queen and white king can't have a Asian prince lol. It's about suspending your disbelief.

Probably, and that'd be very cool! I think they'll get around to it one day. It'd be beautiful to see. Tbh, they don't even have to explain why she is mixed and just make her biracial/multiracial. Just show her interacting with her parents and go from there. Create an entire kingdom set in the distant past and not worry about all of those details. It's a fictional story anyway so there's really no need to explain a lot of it :lol:

Yeah that's true. :lol: The viewer can fill in the details themselves if it's not critical to the story. It wouldn't even have to be about her being multiracial either, just like TPATF never focused on Tiana's race, she could be "just 'cuz" lol

So they aren't whitewashed. That would mean Disney would have taken a story and changed its characters or heritage. You just said yourself they didn't do that. It sounds like you take issue with them not going out of their way to make characters black that for all intents and purposes would not be given the context.

I mean they made Sebastian Jamaican in the Little Mermaid and considering the fairy tale is Danish well, it does look they went out of their way to add a little diversity :coffee:

Most of Disney stories are based on fiction. Meaning that the "heritage" of the characters aren't important or integral to the stories.

For instance, the main argument of the comment Bu posted is the background of the authors. That has little to do with the story themselves.

Especially a story based entirely in fiction.

The other argument is that of the stories setting. They would have a point with that, but again, it's FICTION, nothing explicitly states the character can't have another skin color. People of all races live in every corner of this earth.

The truth is it is/was whitewashed, but it's from a time period where everything was presented as such. Even now "best" presentation of a production is seen as that which has an entire white cast.

Instead of admitting to it and owning it, there have to be excuses for why something which isn't real is presented the way it is.

BTW, you bring up the "Little Mermaid"... that's when Disney finally made the attempt to not present completely whitewashed product. Times are a changing... just not fast enough.

Oh yeah speaking of Brandy's Cinderella, I personally enjoyed how they did it ~ it was all about the acting performances. I mean if a 600-year old fairy godmother can magically appear, fly through the air, and turn pumpkins into carriages, then I don't see why a black queen and white king can't have a Asian prince lol. It's about suspending your disbelief.

:clapping:^_^

Most of Disney stories are based on fiction. Meaning that they "heritage" of the stories aren't important or integral to the stories.

For instance, the main argument of the comment Bu posted is the background of the authors. That has little to do with the story themselves.

Especially a story based entirely in fiction.

The other argument is that of the stories setting. They would have a point with that, but again, it's FICTION, nothing explicitly states the character can't have another skin color. People of all races live in every corner of this earth.

The truth is it is/was whitewashed, but it's from a time period where everything was presented as such. Even now "best" presentation of a production is seen as that which has an entire white cast.

Instead of admitting to it and owning it, there have to be excuses for why something which isn't real is presented the way it is.

BTW, you bring up the "Little Mermaid"... that's when Disney finally made the attempt to not present completely whitewashed product. Times are a changing... just not fast enough.

Again, not whitewashed. You take issue with them not choosing to make characters of color. Whitewashing would be changing a fairy tale to have white characters.

I see your point, but it's not whitewashing.

• Upvote 1

And Disney is very well known for taking stylistic cues from the historical time period and setting. These myths and fables do have roots. Could they radically reinterpret them? Yes, and they have done that. But the majority of their classics do reflect the settings and time periods of the original myths, which are predominantly European.

• Upvote 1

Again, not whitewashed. You take issue with them not choosing to make characters of color. Whitewashing would be changing a fairy tale to have white characters.

I see your point, but it's not whitewashing.

It IS a fairy tale though. Nothing explicitly states that they have to be white characters.

And Disney is very well known for taking stylistic cues from the historical time period and setting. These myths and fables do have roots. Could they radically reinterpret them? Yes, and they have done that. But the majority of their classics do reflect the settings and time periods of the original myths, which are predominantly European.

That has nothing to with those characters having darker skin or not.

Yea they whitewash, and it seems pretty evident they know exactly what their doing, my mom always said the biggest example of that was LionKing. That here was this Disney movie set in Africa, but it's about the animals, great movie we all know, but that....that is something to think about.

That was a HORRIBLE example

Yeah they white wash.. for example, Lion King where Simba was white? :blink:

You go back to your Black Panther rally with that mess..

Why would Disney or anyone change the location of a fairy tale? If it happened in Europe then why up and move it to _____? Not to mention most of these fairy tales do not take place in the 21st Century.. Most take place 200+ years ago... Disney isn't gonna up and move Snow White to Native Amerian's America (as it takes place between 1500-1550)

It doesn't make sense to change the colour of the skin tone of princesses to please anyone.. Keep the characters to it's nearly original form.. This isn't for adults.. it's for innocent children. They don't see color.. They are taught to hate... Like someone taught TOF to hate popular white people and white fairy-tale characters

• Upvote 1

You go back to your Black Panther rally with that mess..

Why would Disney or anyone change the location of a fairy tale? If it happened in Europe then why up and move it to _____? Not to mention most of these fairy tales do not take place in the 21st Century.. Most take place 200+ years ago... Disney isn't gonna up and move Snow White to Native Amerian's America (as it takes place between 1500-1550)

It doesn't make sense to change the colour of the skin tone of princesses to please anyone.. Keep the characters to it's nearly original form.. This isn't for adults.. it's for innocent children. They don't see color.. They are taught to hate... Like someone taught TOF to hate popular white people and white fairy-tale characters

You missed the ENTIRE point of what I was saying. lol

Even Rochester, though we don't necessarily see eye to eye on the topic, got what I was saying and where I was coming from. lol

So yes, focus on 20/20 and exit the thread... or at the very least, TRY to grasp what I'm saying. lol