I WAS HAVING A DISCUSSION WITH A FRIEND ...

janetDAYZ

I have a few friends that are aspiring artists that make their "albums" and put it on itunes and all that bullshit.

Anyway this particular friend is recording right now for his next album and allows me to listen and critique songs as he goes along because he knows Im 100% HONEST. His last album was by far his BEST (production-wise and lyrically). Now the finished songs he's been letting me listen to fall completely short of his last effort. I completely shot down 3 of the 5 that he sent me. I was explaining to him that you are resorting back to ur earlier work which wasn't stellar at all..and lacked quality..very generic sounding shit. Im trying to explain to him that you have set a bar now to where you have to do better or at least be consistent (if nothing at all). He's heading back into poor quality sounding shit.

My question is should each album for an artist(in your opinion) suppose to be about making "BETTER" music (aiming to top your previous successor musically) or more about a "NEW JOURNEY" and less about competing with ur previous successor?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a few friends that are aspiring artists that make their "albums" and put it on itunes and all that bullshit.

Anyway this particular friend is recording right now for his next album and allows me to listen and critique songs as he goes along because he knows Im 100% HONEST. His last album was by far his BEST (production-wise and lyrically). Now the finished songs he's been letting me listen to fall completely short of his last effort. I completely shot down 3 of the 5 that he sent me. I was explaining to him that you are resorting back to ur earlier work which wasn't stellar at all..and lacked quality..very generic sounding shit. Im trying to explain to him that you have set a bar now to where you have to do better or at least be consistent (if nothing at all). He's heading back into poor quality sounding shit.

My question is should each album for an artist(in your opinion) suppose to be about making "BETTER" music (aiming to top your previous successor musically) or more about a "NEW JOURNEY" and less about competing with ur previous successor?

new journey

I can understand it being a new journey but should the music suffer..especially since you've already created a standard for yourself? I feel like he's just throwing the quality out the window..and a TRUE fan will be disappointed becuz your new journey is lacking substance,direction and overall good quality. I dunno..I feel the quality and the new journey both are equally important. Why do something if you're not tryna BETTER yourself?Why climb a mountain if you're not tryna get to the top?

depends who you ask

- Record Labels - they want money... they want the next project better than the last... more more more more more... i assume

- Hardcore fans - Journey

- Fickle fans - See "Record Labels"

- Artists - depends who u ask... the newbies might say one thing.. the legends another

Well I question that because if it was about the new journey for STANS..then we would embrace and like ALL of Janets material when it reality we DON'T. There's ppl who are ify with DJ..ppl who dislike 20YO..and ppl like YOU and I who simply despise Discipline. So based off that observation.. we(as stans) want either better or consistency from how it appears.

Well I question that because if it was about the new journey for STANS..then we would embrace and like ALL of Janets material when it reality we DON'T. There's ppl who are ify with DJ..ppl who dislike 20YO..and ppl like YOU and I who simply despise Discipline. So based off that observation.. we(as stans) want either better or consistency from how it appears.

As far as Discipline, that's not a Janet album. She really should have written for herself instead of having them write songs that sounds like something the wannabe-Janets would do. I love DJ and I don't see the problem with 20 Y.O. (minus a couple of songs).

As far as Discipline, that's not a Janet album. She really should have written for herself instead of having them write songs that sounds like something the wannabe-Janets would do. I love DJ and I don't see the problem with 20 Y.O. (minus a couple of songs).

Janets "new journey" of 20YO.. taking us back in time was not completely well received by fan/stans either...and I actually think she executed what she was tryna do pretty well (imo)..but thats my point..some stans felt like it wasnt up to par so to that alone says that its not just SOLELY about a NEW JOURNEY like you and a few said. The quality does play an important role. Who wants to listen to crap just because its a new concept?

depends who you ask

- Record Labels - they want money... they want the next project better than the last... more more more more more... i assume

- Hardcore fans - Journey

- Fickle fans - See "Record Labels"

- Artists - depends who u ask... the newbies might say one thing.. the legends another

:wave:

Janets "new journey" of 20YO.. taking us back in time was not completely well received by fan/stans either...and I actually think she executed what she was tryna do pretty well (imo)..but thats my point..some stans felt like it wasnt up to par so to that alone says that its not just SOLELY about a NEW JOURNEY like you and a few said. The quality does play an important role. Who wants to listen to crap just because its a new concept?

True but you can do a new journey with quality music, so it's a mixture of both. I'd rather have that than artist have a few quality tracks but still be on the same road as their previous albums.

im inclined to say make new stuff that fits you well, because time after time artists try to top a great album and the problem is you focused on the past and not the present, I dont know how many times I heard folks say "Michael is still trying to top Thriller" well if he was he should have know that wasnt going to happen so you move on, I think Janet knows she wont go back to what she has done already she just kept coming back different but good

True but you can do a new journey with quality music, so it's a mixture of both. I'd rather have that than artist have a few quality tracks but still be on the same road as their previous albums.

Thats it!! ..Thats what I'm trying to explain to my boi.Dont let this new journey allow the quality of ur music to suffer because it doesnt have to.OVERALL..you want your body of work to be the BEST it can be as oppose to having a few songs here and there that ppl like. You should always aim HIGH..I thought that was natural for artist to wanna do so but CLEARLY its not. :unsure:

im inclined to say make new stuff that fits you well, because time after time artists try to top a great album and the problem is you focused on the past and not the present, I dont know how many times I heard folks say "Michael is still trying to top Thriller" well if he was he should have know that wasnt going to happen so you move on, I think Janet knows she wont go back to what she has done already she just kept coming back different but good

Hmmm.. you bring up an interesting point but overachievers have the nature of wanting to top themselves..its in their blood so I get it and understand it but what it does do is create a hunger that might be the fuel for another incredible album as oppose to resting on what you've already achieved with your BEST work. For example Mike says that he never kept the awards and accolades in his home because he didn't wanna become so comfortable with what he'd accomplished. He felt it would have made him a bit lazy and slow down his drive for greatness. I actually think its quite healthy to use your previous succesor as fuel. Will you ever top it?..Maybe..maybe not..that remains to be seen. But the effort (itself) would make it that much better than what it may have been if you rested on ur previous work.

why can't we have both ?? :unsure:

yeah cause 20 Y.O. was a HUGE disappointment 2 me :mellow:

Thats it!! ..Thats what I'm trying to explain to my boi.Dont let this new journey allow the quality of ur music to suffer because it doesnt have to.OVERALL..you want your body of work to be the BEST it can be as oppose to having a few songs here and there that ppl like. You should always aim HIGH..I thought that was natural for artist to wanna do so but CLEARLY its not. :unsure:

Guess it depends on the artist. Some are just happy with what they initially started off with so then we (the listeners) will get the repetitive singles/albums. Some will go for the journey but will forget about quality. And then you have the few that are able to masterfully

Combine both the journey and quality.

yeah cause 20 Y.O. was a HUGE disappointment 2 me :mellow:

The only problem I had with the album was "Show Me' and "Daybreak" being on there. There was a dj on the board (ChineseMuscleBoy...or something like that) I was talking to and he explained to me how folks were expecting to get tracks that sounded like old school Janet.

exaaaactly !!!!! :yep:

The only problem I had with the album was "Show Me' and "Daybreak" being on there. There was a dj on the board (ChineseMuscleBoy...or something like that) I was talking to and he explained to me how folks were expecting to get tracks that sounded like old school Janet.

mannn listen............here are my tracks that i felt should've NEVER been on the album:

SHOW ME

DAYBREAK

GET IT OUTTA ME- I HATE THE BEAT 2 THIS SONG :wacko:

I use to hate "GIOM" but grew to tolerate it on the album. I love the sample for it.

the sample is CLASSIC !! but the actual rhythm of the bass kick & the snare drums just turn me da fuck off

I really wish Janet, Jimmy & Terry would've used an updated version of the "minneapolis funk sound" 4 20 Y.O.

the sample is CLASSIC !! but the actual rhythm of the bass kick & the snare drums just turn me da fuck off

I really wish Janet, Jimmy & Terry would've used an updated version of the "minneapolis funk sound" 4 20 Y.O.

You mean updated New Jack Swing :dance: That would have been bad ass if they did. But I wish "Clap Your Hands", "Roll Witchu" and "Days Go By" were actually on there instead.

You mean updated New Jack Swing :dance: That would have been bad ass if they did. But I wish "Clap Your Hands", "Roll Witchu" and "Days Go By" were actually on there instead.

you can say dat again & i'm sorry but the video 4 "so-excited" is too fuckin dark :sigh: Janet is too gorgeous to be hidden by dark backgrounds.

Archived