Survivor: 2000 (Winner Announced!)

TwistedElegance™

uU2Tj9N.png

Second place goes to Aaliyah with Try Again. After landing her first major movie role opposite Jet Li in Romeo Must Die, Aaliyah served as executive producer for the film's soundtrack, to which she contributed four songs. Written by Timbaland and Static Major, Try Again took its cues from acid house music with its fuzzy synths and the hypnotic repetitiveness of its chorus, while Timbaland's intro paid homage to Eric B. & Rakim's hip-hop classic I Know You Got Soul. As well as earning Aaliyah a Grammy nomination for Best Female R&B Vocal Performance, Try Again became the first song in Billboard Hot 100 history to reach number one based solely on the strength of its radio airplay. The track made the ranks of several decade-end best-ofs including Billboard, Rolling Stone, Complex, Slant and VH1. Its video, directed by Wayne Isham (Backstreet Boys' I Want It That Way, Michael Jackson's You Are Not Alone, Janet Jackson's Black Cat), co-starred Li and is memorable for its choreography, particularly the use of walking canes, courtesy of Fatima Robinson, who was a frequent collaborator of the late singer. Internationally, The song became Aaliyah's first Top 10 hit in Australia, where it reached a peak of 8. It went Top 5 in Belgium, Canada, Germany, Netherlands, Norway and the UK. Two years later, George Michael mashed up the song with Q-Tip's Breathe and Stop for the breakdown to his industrial pop workout, Freeek!

The breakdown ~ Try Again places 2nd with a voter average of 8.3.

• 10 - hotboy06, Jarrylf, RedSimba & TwistedElegance
  • 9 - Kenny. & Stealth
  • 8 - Game
  • 7 - JoeJoe
  • 2 - Dammn Bu

IZ7mNQa.png

Janet Jackson emerges victorious for 2000 with Doesn't Really Matter. Like Try Again, the song was a by-product of a feature film role for the singer, returning to the silver screen in Nutty Professor II: The Klumps, her first movie since 1993's Poetic Justice. Continuing the film's theme of loving someone for who they are, the song was based on an incomplete lyric draft Jackson had written which was later applied to her character, Denise Gaines. The film's producers were eager for a soundtrack contribution, but had initially not approached Jackson regarding fears of rejection. Director Peter Segal brought a rough cut of the film to Flyte Tyme Studios, where the star had begun recording All for You. Jimmy Jam recalled, "He said, 'Now that you've seen the film, if you'd like to do a song for it, that'd be great.'" Segal told Jackson she was an exceptional actress after becoming convinced she truly loved Eddie Murphy's character, leading her to suggest writing an uptempo love song rather than a ballad. An unmastered version leaked and received airplay ahead of its scheduled release, followed by a positive response from critics and fans. Several radio stations created their own edits until the official version was released, prompting Jam to exclaim "That's wonderful, because it means radio is excited about it." In stark contrast to the emotional weight of The Velvet Rope, it recalled the high-spirited tones of previous hits Escapade, Love Will Never Do (Without You) and Runaway. Also well-received by the record-buying public, Doesn't Really Matter became the singer's ninth number one on the Hot 100, where it ruled for three weeks, thus making Jackson the first artist to achieve a national number one single in three separate decades. Its video, helmed by Joseph Khan, is best known for its futuristic theme and directorial effects like sophisticated technology and anime hallmarks. With a reported budget of over $2 million, it is one of the most expensive videos ever made. Jackson opened the 2000 MTV VMAs with Doesn't Really Matter to stellar reviews, still regarded today as one of the event's most memorable performances. Surprisingly, the song only managed a Top 30 placement in Australia and New Zealand, however fared better in Canada and the UK, where it reached the Top 5.

The breakdown ~ Doesn't Really Matter WINS the competition with a voter average of 9.2.

• 10 - Game, hotboy06, Jarrylf & JoeJoe
  • 9 - Dammn Bu, Stealth & Kenny.
  • 8 - RedSimba & TwistedElegance

You gave Aaliyah at 2 :lmao: 

All my scores were wrong - they shouldn't have been included tbh :coffee:. I didn't have time to correct them as I went on holiday. 

Edited by Dammn Bu

Dang I look like a hater rating DRM an 8 lol. Good song, just not my favorite 

Aw. Did Jan win all the previous games?

She didn't win 1995 but she won the majority.

For 2001, would you guys prefer to make it a Singles Rate for the whole game instead of a Survivor? That way we can score all the songs rather than just the final 10.

I'd be down for that. Each song gets a fair chance, and I think it'd be more efficient.