Janet noted in epic JT Twitter dragging

In case you missed it, Jesse Williams delivered an epic speech on last night's BET Awards regarding the #BlackLivesMatter movement. In response, Justin Timberlake tweeted the following message:

"@jessewilliams tho #inspired"

This sparked instant backlash from Black Twitter who went ALL the way in on JT, most notably, Ernest Owens, who replied with the following:

"So does this mean you're going to stop appropriating our music and culture? And apologize to Janet too?"

This elicited a response out of Justin who then attempted to play the #alllivesmatter card. See the links below for a more detailed account.

www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/06/27/justin-timberlake-dragged-over-bet-awards-tweet-stop-appropriating-our-music-and-culture.html

thatgrapejuice.net/2016/06/justin-timberlake-apologises-black-lives-matter-remark/

I mean I'm so over this Janet fans v Justin thing. Justin has said he wish he'd have done more - let's leave it at that. He knows he was a little wrong and acknowledged that. There's nothing more he can do.

Let me ask this question. Why have I never seen Janet fans go after Colin Powell? He's the snake that had Janet helping him promote his "Americas Promise" charity, making several appearances with him only for him to stab her in the back a few years later and pressure his FCC son into making her the scapegoat to detract from Iraq. 

• Upvote 1

JuzZzzZzztin

He'll never apologize because as a straight white man, he doesn't think did nothing wrong, so, has nothing to apologize for. Not only him, but the rest of the entertainment industry.

The fans should know it by know...
Like Janet said, get up, get through, and get over.

• Upvote 1

I mean I'm so over this Janet fans v Justin thing. Justin has said he wish he'd have done more - let's leave it at that. He knows he was a little wrong and acknowledged that. There's nothing more he can do.

Let me ask this question. Why have I never seen Janet fans go after Colin Powell? He's the snake that had Janet helping him promote his "Americas Promise" charity, making several appearances with him only for him to stab her in the back a few years later and pressure his FCC son into making her the scapegoat to detract from Iraq. 

Great points. I'm not attacking Justin just merely postng the news. But if I could play devil's advocate for a second, I think Justin gets so much hate because of his egregious appropriation of all-things black but when held to the fire, he reverts back to his whiteness.

• Upvote 7

Great points. I'm not attacking Justin just merely postng the news. But if I could play devil's advocate for a second, I think Justin gets so much hate because of his egregious appropriation of all-things black but when held to the fire, he reverts back to his whiteness.

I wasn't aiming that at you - just throwing it out there in general haha.

I totally get that.

• Upvote 1

I'm confused as to why Justin gets slack for singing black music as if he's the first or the most popular. 

The Rap God, Eminem, does seem to get as much slack :blink: Justin Beiber doesn't even get much slack, Miley Cyrus.. Etc 

The hate he receives is mind blowing but he's still gonna sell albums :coffee: and sold out shows so I guess no one wins

• Upvote 1

I'm confused as to why Justin gets slack for singing black music as if he's the first or the most popular. 

The Rap God, Eminem, does seem to get as much slack :blink: Justin Beiber doesn't even get much slack, Miley Cyrus.. Etc 

The hate he receives is mind blowing but he's still gonna sell albums :coffee: and sold out shows so I guess no one wins

I'm sure Miley got slack for twerking, especially since she did it with her non-existant Taylor-rite flat ass. :shifty:

I think the other artists you mentioned get slack for various other components of their careers. Bieber for being a bratty cunt, Eminem for his misogyny and Miley for being talentless and because of that the appropriation aspect gets swept aside or overlooked. JT is so good and his image pristine that the only thing they can come for is singing black music. Does that make sense? If someones gonna come for that aspect then they should come for all of them.

Edited by Dammn Bu
  • Upvote 2

So he cant do "black music" but its okay for the likes of Janet, Mike, etc to do music thats outside soul/r&b?? :blink: Like huh??? Wtf? On Unbreakable alone.,.Janet covers so many different genres that is outside of "urban" music...,so how can we talk about Justin? It makes no sense that one can venture out but the other cant. Wtf is wrong wit this world? These ppl wanna talk about Trump but these same ppl arent exactly helping the cause either... not with this limited thinking 

• Upvote 6

I'm sure Miley got slack for twerking, especially since she did it with her non-existant Taylor-rite flat ass. :shifty:

I think the other artists you mentioned get slack for various other components of their careers. Bieber for being a bratty cunt, Eminem for his misogyny and Miley for being talentless and because of that the appropriation aspect gets swept aside or overlooked. JT is so good and his image pristine that the only thing they can come for is singing black music. Does that make sense? If someones gonna come for that aspect then they should come for all of them.

ALLL  have been come for over that (except maybe Bieber, & that's annoying since he's easily the worst at what this is about than everyone you named). Miley's not exactly looked at favorably in the community so lets not, she gets/got dragged for every twerking video. Eminem got dragged for his misogyny, but.....before 8Mile, and people had a clear view of the talent and the passion and how real he is, he was getting dragged about stealing black culture too. I VERY vividly remember being among few black kids that liked or slightly kept up with Em pre-8mile, then after 8mile EVERYBODY loves him and is calling him amazing. Hell Mad TV's clocked him several times but I've never seen em do it after 8mile..

It's not JUST about the music, dabble in R&B all you want, it's the culture that this is about & it's about the fact when anything real is going down with the black community he's 1 of the many up there who don't do anything (I mean Em only fights for Detroit really, so he kinda is equal opportunity of not standing up for much). The problem is getting attention and hits from a culture you love, but not bringing attention to their relevant issues. Truthfully nobodies dragging them other names because they didn't say anything like this and likely they wouldn't have come for him if he didn't, but....a bitch will do bitch things

Janet has taken plenty of stands for black rights individually, gay rights, women's rights, & kids. I can't think of too many names of white pop artist who dabble in R&B who have spoken out for black rights. And I'm not saying you HAVE to in order to do R&B, I'm a fan of alot of genre hoppers of many races, though never him ofcourse (ew), but if you aren't going to fight for the cause and aren't known to, then don't publicly speak up on someone else who does, then when you get called out for the truth, clap back, shut up, ignore, continue to do you. All he had to do.

• Upvote 3

So he cant do "black music" but its okay for the likes of Janet, Mike, etc to do music thats outside soul/r&b?? :blink: Like huh??? Wtf? On Unbreakable alone.,.Janet covers so many different genres that is outside of "urban" music...,so how can we talk about Justin? It makes no sense that one can venture out but the other cant. Wtf is wrong wit this world? These ppl wanna talk about Trump but these same ppl arent exactly helping the cause either... not with this limited thinking 

I think those people would argue that most of the genres they've dabbled in have Black roots anyway (rock, country?). 

ALLL  have been come for over that (except maybe Bieber, & that's annoying since he's easily the worst at what this is about than everyone you named). Miley's not exactly looked at favorably in the community so lets not, she gets/got dragged for every twerking video. Eminem got dragged for his misogyny, but.....before 8Mile, and people had a clear view of the talent and the passion and how real he is, he was getting dragged about stealing black culture too. I VERY vividly remember being among few black kids that liked or slightly kept up with Em pre-8mile, then after 8mile EVERYBODY loves him and is calling him amazing. Hell Mad TV's clocked him several times but I've never seen em do it after 8mile..
It's not JUST about the music, dabble in R&B all you want, it's the culture that this is about & it's about the fact when anything real is going down with the black community he's 1 of the many up there who don't do anything (I mean Em only fights for Detroit really, so he kinda is equal opportunity of not standing up for much). The problem is getting attention and hits from a culture you love, but not bringing attention to their relevant issues. Truthfully nobodies dragging them other names because they didn't say anything like this and likely they wouldn't have come for him if he didn't, but....a bitch will do bitch things

Janet has taken plenty of stands for black rights individually, gay rights, women's rights, & kids. I can't think of too many names of white pop artist who dabble in R&B who have spoken out for black rights. And I'm not saying you HAVE to in order to do R&B, I'm a fan of alot of genre hoppers of many races, though never him ofcourse (ew), but if you aren't going to fight for the cause and aren't known to, then don't publicly speak up on someone else who does, then when you get called out for the truth, clap back, shut up, ignore, continue to do you. All he had to do.

I remember one of my first thoughts on Eminem when i was 9 was "Why is he trying to be Black?" :lmao:. Off course I grew up and learned that there's no one way of being Black. Those are great points you raised though.

To be honest Justin Bieber did get dragged when he defended Kylie's cornrow hair pics. And when he had dreads himself. 

Edited by Dammn Bu
  • Upvote 1

Janet fans did not start this.  We are not that strong in numbers to drag a person so hard Billboard writes an article about it and JT trended into the next day.  The point of the speech went over his head.  It has nothing to do with the music he makes.  It is about him trying to piggy back off a movement when he does not have the fortitude or interest in being apart of it while using black culture to make him rich.  Social Media was not around for Colin Powell in 2004.  Many people wrote and emailed the FCC though but we couldn't see the other emails sent like we can see comments on twitter in 2016.  Bottomline he should not have said anything. Jesse Williams was calling black America to action and JT is not going to do anything to ruin his precious little career so again what is he inspired to do.  If he had to choose fighting for a cause or his career he is going to keep that career.  So his tweet was bullshit and him clapping back was even more bullshit. 

• Upvote 10

Who wouldn't fight for their career especially if you're making 6-figures+ :umm: 

All he said was "he agreed" on social media.. It's better than him not agreeing or not saying anything at all. He's an ally but some people are treating him like Hitler or Trump.. As if he said the N-word or something. If this is about Janet.. Then shame on anyone for dragging it out of the woodworks. No one cares about the Super Bowl or how he reacted at that age of his career  

And he's not stealing "black culture" (whatever that means). He uses black producers/writers on 90% of this music. Close Friends to be exact since he's been using the same producers since day 1 of his solo career. 

Can we define "black culture"? Is that rapping or pants sagging? Singing about bitches, cars, and money? What is "black culture" to you? 

Edited by Game
  • Upvote 1

My primary issue with JT is the shady/flip-flop manner in which he handled Prince and Michael's deaths. Shading Prince in his song GITM then tweeting out that message praising him after his death. And in an interview once he cited Frank Sinatra as his biggest musical influence (side eye) but after MJ's death he hopped on the "WEHEARTMJ" bandwagon.

Edited by youwantthisanytime
  • Upvote 1

You'd never understand it anyway so of course you'd be over it.  Ha!!! a little wrong? I can't right now

I think those people would argue that most of the genres they've dabbled in have Black roots anyway (rock, country?). 

I remember one of my first thoughts on Eminem when i was 9 was "Why is he trying to be Black?" :lmao:. Off course I grew up and learned that there's no one way of being Black. Those are great points you raised though.

To be honest Justin Bieber did get dragged when he defended Kylie's cornrow hair pics. And when he had dreads himself. 

That's a tired argument 

Eminem is/was being himself. Justin Timberlake is being himself. He's not acting for money. He loves "black music" and "black culture".. People act as if Black people have a copyright on what genres and hairstyles other races can do. "Be yourself and be happy with it". If a white guy/gal wanted dreads or face tats or whatever "black culture" thing, then they have the freedom to do it

• Upvote 2

You'd never understand it anyway so of course you'd be over it.  Ha!!! a little wrong? I can't right now

Understand what? If you're referring to throwing her under the bus then what I said stands. If you're referring to the race aspect which I wasn't referring to in that post then go over to the BET thread and tell me what I don't understand?

edit:

I think you think that post was about this current BET Twitter drama. I was talking about being over the Super Bowl drama and that's what the little wrong is referring to. 

Yes a little wrong.. Barely that since he had no prior knowledge of this publicity stunt that Janet pulled 

Basically. 

Edited by Dammn Bu

That's a tired argument 

Eminem is/was being himself. Justin Timberlake is being himself. He's not acting for money. He loves "black music" and "black culture".. People act as if Black people have a copyright on what genres and hairstyles other races can do. "Be yourself and be happy with it". If a white guy/gal wanted dreads or face tats or whatever "black culture" thing, then they have the freedom to do it

It's not for me to say if it's a tired argument or not.

Game........you know I love you, I think you're getting so caught up in defending JT, and like him, are missing the point entirely on several levels. For starters again, what he did or didn't know, and what they did or didn't plan is not nor has it ever been shown to be absolute 1 way or another, and again, this issue isn't JUST or even mostly about that. Next......yea black culture's a thing....just like Jewish culture, Asian culture, Mexican culture, etc. And to narrow black culture down to "hip hop, pants sagging and talking about money and cars" is just.....YOU KNOW BETTER.....That's like saying Mexican culture is just salsa, guacamole, & low riders. Our culture is deeper than that it's the way we talk and interact, move, sing, and MUCH more, every culture has their own, and again (what I feel like you're missing on specifically) ITS FINE to appreciate and use elements of other cultures that you love and respect for you & your life famous or not, but when you're a person of power and your image can be seen and your voice can be heard by millions and you can actually take part to help change take place, and you don't speak up to help that race/culture you love, publicly commenting to someone who does like you've been down the whole time & know/recognize the struggle is not a good look, and begs to be called out, and a flat out stupid decision and worst look is to try to come back at your criticism. Don't confuse this for just being about the superbowl, that's a small aspect that can be (as is right here) used as a diflector from the main topic at hand, the deeper subject is what he's being rightfully dragged over. There wasn't anything wrong with his initial tweet, it was his response to the guy who called him our that fucked him up. 

Edited by jarrylf
  • Upvote 1

Game........you know I love you, I think you're getting so caught up in defending JT, and like him, are missing the point entirely on several levels. For starters again, what he did or didn't know, and what they did or didn't plan is not nor has it ever been shown to be absolute 1 way or another, and again, this issue isn't JUST or even mostly about that. Next......yea black culture's a thing....just like Jewish culture, Asian culture, Mexican culture, etc. And to narrow black culture down to "hip hop, pants sagging and talking about money and cars" is just.....YOU KNOW BETTER.....That's like saying Mexican culture is just salsa, guacamole, & low riders. Our culture is deeper than that it's the way we talk and interact, move, sing, and MUCH more, every culture has their own, and again (what I feel like you're missing on specifically) ITS FINE to appreciate and use elements of other cultures that you love and respect for you & your life famous or not, but when you're a person of power and your image can be seen and your voice can be heard by millions and you can actually take part to help change take place, and you don't speak up to help that race/culture you love, publicly commenting to someone who does like you've been down the whole time & know/recognize the struggle is not a good look, and begs to be called out, and a flat out stupid decision and worst look is to try to come back at your criticism. Don't confuse this for just being about the superbowl, that's a small aspect that can be (as is right here) used as a diflector from the main topic at hand, the deeper subject is what he's being rightfully dragged over. There wasn't anything wrong with his initial tweet, it was his response to the guy who called him our that fucked him up. 

He's disgusting and ignorant of his own culture and it's fuckin' sad. I wonder if I ever had an UNCLE named TOM?

Funny how black historical, statistical, & definable oppression gets the eye roll & need for defense every time it's widely discussed but let someone make any side comment about a homosexual or the like there of & they're a bigot. Yet MANY in the homosexual community, not all, will conveniently use the black historical plight as a parallel reference point to gain a sympathy as if to claim shared relevance. 

Funny how we can be sitting on the forum of a black woman who has openly discussed artistically and directly the experiences of her own racial injustice..yet & STILL it is the nature of some to defend JT's right to perpetuate the very problem she said to have faced. 

Lastly, in this society it's fair to have some one walking around making money off "appealing to the urban market" yet not directly align themselves with the issues of that market they are "entertaining". Someone asked about MJ & Janet making other music beyond "black cultured music" and that being fine - well - MJ & Janet has also stood along side multiple plights of those cultures through charity work & raising awareness to diverse struggles. From women's rights to HIV to education to war to Islamic torture of girls and children and the list goes on..where was Justin when Black Lives Matter was marching in the streets? Oh, at home "inspired". 

Edited by FreelovesJJ
  • Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

Funny how black historical, statistical, & definable oppression gets the eye roll & need for defense every time it's widely discussed but let someone make any side comment about a homosexual or the like there of & they're a bigot. Yet MANY in the homosexual community, not all, will conveniently use the black historical plight as a parallel reference point to gain a sympathy as if to claim shared relevance. 

Funny how we can be sitting on the forum of a black woman who has openly discussed artistically and directly the experiences of her own racial injustice..yet & STILL it is the nature of some to defend JT's right to perpetuate the very problem she said to have faced. 

Lastly, in this society it's fair to have some one walking around making money off "appealing to the urban market" yet not directly align themselves with the issues of that market they are "entertaining". Someone asked about MJ & Janet making other music beyond "black cultured music" and that being fine - well - MJ & Janet has also stood along side multiple plights of those cultures through charity work & raising awareness to diverse struggles. From women's rights to HIV to education to war to Islamic torture of girls and children and the list goes on..where was Justin when Black Lives Matter was marching in the streets? Oh, at home "inspired". 

Thank you!!!

reallll

We all can define Asian culture and Mexican culture.. Still waiting on that definition for "black culture" and examples of how JT is stealing it and how he's not just being himself (a white boy with heavy influence from the black community)

He shouldn't have been called out in the first place and he shouldn't have replied to random internet trolls

• Upvote 1

My primary issue with JT is the shady/flip-flop manner in which he handled Prince and Michael's deaths. Shading Prince in his song GITM then tweeting out that message praising him after his death. And in an interview once he cited Frank Sinatra as his biggest musical influence (side eye) but after MJ's death he hopped on the "WEHEARTMJ" bandwagon.

He's always been a fan of MJ and Janet. Has said so in several interviews. That was apparent before and after MJ's self-demise. Like Ms Jackson... Who didn't say a peep when Prince killed himself, why so angry at JT?