Beyonce under fire for Blackface photos!

JoeJoe

Guess alot of people besides us didn't like it either

Beyonce graces the March issue of L'Officiel Paris, but it's a controversial photo of the superstar inside the French fashion magazine that's getting the most attention.

The glossy is celebrating its 90th anniversary, and Beyonce marks the occasion with an homage to Nigerian musician and humanitarian Fela Kuti; Beyonce's husband, Jay-Z, is a producer on the acclaimed Broadway musical "Fela!," based on the icon's life, music and courageous defiance against government corruption. In a statement (via Jezebel), L'Officiel describes the Feli-inspired photo of Beyonce -- sporting blackface, tribal paint and a dress designed by her mom -- as a "return to her African roots, as you can see on the picture, on which her face was voluntarily darkened." (Here is an image of the cover along with other "African Queen"-themed images from the photo spread.)

Not everyone is a fan of the editorial vision and tribute to Kuti; the image simultaneously inspires and provokes. Writes Jezebel's Dodai Stewart: "It's fun to play with fashion and makeup, and fashion has a history of provocation and pushing boundaries. But when you paint your face darker in order to look more 'African,' aren't you reducing an entire continent, full of different nations, tribes, cultures and histories, into one brown color?"

"It's one thing to feel moved by Fela Kuti, and quite another to treat blackness as a fashion accessory, like a pair of glittery heels you put on because it looks cool," Stewart adds.

Charing Ball, a writer at the Atlanta Post, blasts the fashion industry's recent obsession with blackface as an accepted form of racism passed off as art. "Blackface is not fashion forward or edgy and, in my opinion, it is just flat-out offensive," writes Ball, incriminating Beyonce in perpetuating the offense.

Blackface has been particularly trendy among European fashion titles; in October 2009, French Vogue featured a white model in blackface a year after the Italian edition of Vogue ran a much-hyped issue with all-black models as a response to the lack of diversity within the industry.

Meanwhile, Beyonce and other black stars have had their skin lightened on the cover of glossy women's mags and in advertisements; see Beyonce's 2008 L'Oreal ad compared with a real photo of the singer."The message we're getting from the fashionistas," Stewart writes, "is that it's bad to actually have dark skin, but totally cool to pretend you have it."

Beyonce will no doubt maintain a diplomatic stance on the photoshoot. But, for once -- for once! -- it would be refreshing to hear her speak her mind and have a stance on something beyond her music.

http://omg.yahoo.com/blogs/thefamous/beyonce-under-fire-for-blackface-photos/711?nc

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL..You're late as usual..that's so old.. :lmao:

as you can see I don't pay much attention to people I really don't care for. Its still a damn shame that as light as she is she wanted to look whiter to appeal more to white people. At the end of the day the roots in her hair will still get kinky and nappy just like every other black person. Only reason I saw this cause its on the front page of yahoo :filenails:

as you can see I don't pay much attention to people I really don't care for. Its still a damn shame that as light as she is she wanted to look whiter to appeal more to white people. At the end of the day the roots in her hair will still get kinky and nappy just like every other black person. Only reason I saw this cause its on the front page of yahoo :filenails:

She doesn't have control over what's photoshopped... Beyonce is just earning a paycheck...

I recommend you email L'oreal about your problem with their advertising trickery... That's not Beyonce's fault

She doesn't have control over what's photoshopped... Beyonce is just earning a paycheck...

I recommend you email L'oreal about your problem with their advertising trickery... That's not Beyonce's fault

boy shut the hell up cause this is about the blackface not no damn L'oreal and its old as hell so why would care. Point is its a damn shame. You're a fool to think Beyonce doesn't have a say in what pic would go on the cover if she wants to

boy shut the hell up cause this is about the blackface not no damn L'oreal and its old as hell so why would care. Point is its a damn shame. You're a fool to think Beyonce doesn't have a say in what pic would go on the cover if she wants to

I'm not talking about the initial thread topic dumbass... I didnt even read it.. I could careless... But I'm referring to your accusation...

You can continue hating someone who doesn't even kno u exist.. Or cares for that matters.. But don't be a republican and ignore the facts just so u can save your ignorant spiel

I'm not talking about the initial thread topic dumbass... I didnt even read it.. I could careless... But I'm referring to your accusation...

You can continue hating someone who doesn't even kno u exist.. Or cares for that matters.. But don't be a republican and ignore the facts just so u can save your ignorant spiel

The same can be said for you with your failed antics towards Madonna

I know you're not talking about the initial topic which is why I told your dumbass to shut the hell up k thanks :wave: I have no accusation when there are receipts dumb dumb. What accusation did I state that wasn't true? :wacko:

This is who wrote the article:

Erinholiday2.jpg

I don't think she's qualified to speak on what's "African" and what's "Blackness" when she obviously doesn't know the difference between the two.

And Joejoe, for you not to pay much attention to ppl you don't care for, you seem to make a lot of Beyonce threads.

I know you're not talking about the initial topic which is why I told your dumbass to shut the hell up k thanks :wave: I have no accusation when there are receipts dumb dumb. What accusation did I state that wasn't true? :wacko:

1) you do not have PROOF that Beyonce wants to lighten her skin tone

2) the accusation is what I quoted earlier: you claimed Beyonce wanted to appeal to a white audience so in order to do so... she changed her photos in her photoshoot(s) so that she can have lighter-skin.

3) see #1

4) that's not Beyonce's doing.. It's L'Oreal

This is who wrote the article:

Erinholiday2.jpg

I don't think she's qualified to speak on what's "African" and what's "Blackness" when she obviously doesn't know the difference between the two.

And Joejoe, for you not to pay much attention to ppl you don't care for, you seem to make a lot of Beyonce threads.

please pull up all the Beyonce threads that I made and tell me if they're enough to say its alot? :umm: And I really don't pay attention to her or anyone else other than Janet

please pull up all the Beyonce threads that I made and tell me if they're enough to say its alot? :umm: And I really don't pay attention to her or anyone else other than Janet

If Angie made the old PJ accessible, I would have plenty receipts. Take your ass to work, boy. :rolleyes:

1) you do not have PROOF that Beyonce wants to lighten her skin tone

2) the accusation is what I quoted earlier: you claimed Beyonce wanted to appeal to a white audience so in order to do so... she changed her photos in her photoshoot(s) so that she can have lighter-skin.

3) see #1

Please....I and everybody and they damn momma done said that many times before. Get over it twink

!

As if Beyonce asked for her skin to be lightened. Simple ppl can be so stupid. :lol:

And even IF creative director and photographer (who are in charge of how the photographed looks, N-E-WAY) chose not to use the dark make up, ppl would bitch about Beyonce not being the right shade. :rolleyes: Beyonce just can't win. :sigh:

Please....I and everybody and they damn momma done said that many times before. Get over it twink

Just because you and ure uneducated friends say so.. Doesn't exactly make it true JoeJoe :coffee:

If that were the case.. We wouldn't need Laws and Science to prove anything.. Back up ur accusations with proof nigga

Archived