LA Reid comments on Discipline & he and Janet's friendship

bzebabe

bolded the part about Janet

The music business equivalent: advising Jennifer Lopez, on her last obligation to Epic Records, her label of 10 years, not to release a song called “Louboutins” as a single. “It wasn’t a hit,” Reid says. “Usually, big hit songs are about love, pain, fun, compromise — but shoes?” After hearing the track, he asked Lopez’s manager, Benny Medina, a close friend, to put the diva on the phone and told her as much. “I said: ‘Sweetheart, don’t do this. I don’t have anything to gain from telling you this; I’m not trying to lure you in as an artist. This is not the right thing to do.” Lopez’s reaction? She asked for a meeting the following week. The end result: Lopez still released “Louboutins” as a single, and it stiffed. Her next album is due this summer — on Island.

Lopez would be wise to listen to her new label boss. Under Reid’s watch, Carey saw a tremendous resurgence in popularity, selling a staggering 10 million copies of her 2005 album The Emancipation of Mimi worldwide — a feat Lopez, Medina and company no doubt look upon with envy. Just don’t call it a comeback. “I don’t think of myself as some magician who can bring people back,” Reid cautions. “The plan with Mariah was to make a great record. It’s about the music: I knew it was good, Mariah knew it was good, we thought it would catch on, and it did. But I’ve never approached it as a comeback. The one time I tried that with Janet Jackson, it didn’t work. We were great friends before, but then after the record [2008’s Discipline], we weren’t friends anymore. It really broke my heart.”

.............................................................................................................................................................................................................................

my opinion of LA Reid hasn't changed since the 90's...never wanted him anywhere near Janet...but oh well, what's done is done...LA Reid, chile....i guess

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

bolded the part about Janet

The music business equivalent: advising Jennifer Lopez, on her last obligation to Epic Records, her label of 10 years, not to release a song called “Louboutins” as a single. “It wasn’t a hit,” Reid says. “Usually, big hit songs are about love, pain, fun, compromise — but shoes?” After hearing the track, he asked Lopez’s manager, Benny Medina, a close friend, to put the diva on the phone and told her as much. “I said: ‘Sweetheart, don’t do this. I don’t have anything to gain from telling you this; I’m not trying to lure you in as an artist. This is not the right thing to do.” Lopez’s reaction? She asked for a meeting the following week. The end result: Lopez still released “Louboutins” as a single, and it stiffed. Her next album is due this summer — on Island.

Lopez would be wise to listen to her new label boss. Under Reid’s watch, Carey saw a tremendous resurgence in popularity, selling a staggering 10 million copies of her 2005 album The Emancipation of Mimi worldwide — a feat Lopez, Medina and company no doubt look upon with envy. Just don’t call it a comeback. “I don’t think of myself as some magician who can bring people back,” Reid cautions. “The plan with Mariah was to make a great record. It’s about the music: I knew it was good, Mariah knew it was good, we thought it would catch on, and it did. But I’ve never approached it as a comeback. The one time I tried that with Janet Jackson, it didn’t work. We were great friends before, but then after the record [2008’s Discipline], we weren’t friends anymore. It really broke my heart.”

.............................................................................................................................................................................................................................

my opinion of LA Reid hasn't changed since the 90's...never wanted him anywhere near Janet...but oh well, what's done is done...LA Reid, chile....i guess

That's because he fucked up and was a asshole about the whole situation!

And I agree, I wasn't to chipper about Janet dealing with him (I know his track record for fucking shit up! lol), but what's done is done... -_-

so if you talk about something that happened, it's equivalent to not being able to let go? it's just a discussion

Alrite, but I can sense what's gonna happen

Blame the failure of the cd on the label for the lack of promotion blah blah

Alrite, but I can sense what's gonna happen

Blame the failure of the cd on the label for the lack of promotion blah blah

well if people do that, it's their prerogative...nothing wrong with talking about it, as long as you aren't holding on to the same anger you had 3 years ago...i'd hope everyone is over their initial pissed of stage by now

well if people do that, it's their prerogative...nothing wrong with talking about it, as long as you aren't holding on to the same anger you had 3 years ago...i'd hope everyone is over their initial pissed of stage by now

Doubt it

Hendrika is right. That album is horrible! The only reason I have it is becoz of Janet. Otherwise, I would never go near that shit

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Austin...why you always have to...just...chile................

I mean seriously. We all know what we're talking about here. Was it really necessary for TOF to come along and quote it? :sigh: Then Blatin, Greg/Dean, and Lexi are all gonna come along and do it. It's so annoying. We know what you're responding to so there's no need to quote the WHOLE post. :sigh:

I mean seriously. We all know what we're talking about here. Was it really necessary for TOF to come along and quote it? :sigh: Then Blatin, Greg/Dean, and Lexi are all gonna come along and do it. It's so annoying. We know what you're responding to so there's no need to quote the WHOLE post. :sigh:

Yes, it was... :coffee:

just cuz i'm feeling good tonight

Archived