LA Reid comments on Discipline & he and Janet's friendship

bzebabe

Janet wanted to do an album but she just didn't agree with how it turned out. She was 42 years old at the time, not 16. So let's not act like Janet was held at gun point (or in Joe's case - a belt) and forced to record the album. I just think she hated the fact that LA took over the whole project and ignored her. But I'm sure she added her 2 cents in regards to the concepts and song choices.

I'm likely to go with this argument, because it makes the most sense

As key said, Janet is not 16! She was a 40yo business woman! Give me a break

And if she signed over her creative freedom and power, that's even more embarrassment

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Janet wanted to do an album but she just didn't agree with how it turned out. She was 42 years old at the time, not 16. So let's not act like Janet was held at gun point (or in Joe's case - a belt) and forced to record the album. I just think she hated the fact that LA took over the whole project and ignored her. But I'm sure she added her 2 cents in regards to the concepts and song choices.

Let's be honest with ourselves before we can be honest with each other. Janet said multiple times that they were already in tour rehearsals BEFORE she signed with Def Jam. Why on earth would she put off a whole tour just to record an album she didn't want to do?

"If it doesn't make sense, it's usually not true."

-Judge Judy

I'm likely to go with this argument, because it makes the most sense

As key said, Janet is not 16! She was a 40yo business woman! Give me a break

And if she signed over her creative freedom and power, that's even more embarrassment

Sadly, this might have been the case. I'd like to think Janet wasn't ever desperate for a successful "comeback" album but LA is making it sound as if both he and Janet discussed how he was going to help bring her back like Mariah and she probably agreed. I don't know. I still think she did give her 2 cents about the whole project before it was finalized. Maybe, not as much as she did on her prior albums but I think she did. Sure Janet was giving us dead eyes through out that era and she looked as if she was on the verge of a breakdown BUT that could have been personal battles she was fighting.

She did what LA wanted...she let him guide the project entirely, and when she finally really spoke up the issues arose.

Then, when the second single (they choose) didn't work...they stopped promotion on the project.

So...Janet signed over her rights and expected to be heard afterward? That's stupid.

Receipts?

The same can be said of the converse

Let's be honest with ourselves before we can be honest with each other. Janet said multiple times that they were already in tour rehearsals BEFORE she signed with Def Jam. Why on earth would she put off a whole tour just to record an album she didn't want to do?

Let's not act as tho Janet doesn't lie

73e0km.jpg

Sadly, this might have been the case. I'd like to think Janet wasn't ever desperate for a successful "comeback" album but LA is making it sound as if both he and Janet discussed how he was going to help bring her back like Mariah and she probably agreed. I don't know. I still think she did give her 2 cents about the whole project before it was finalized. Maybe, not as much as she did on her prior albums but I think she did. Sure Janet was giving us dead eyes through out that era and she looked as if she was on the verge of a breakdown BUT that could have been personal battles she was fighting.

How come Janet's comeback wasn't the same as Mariah's. Mariah's was epic. Had all the right ingredients. With Janet, they went into a different territory, with all this weird-shit music and imagery etc

"If it doesn't make sense, it's usually not true."

-Judge Judy

You do understand that Janet made the decision to agree and sign with Island Def Jam. She wasn't held at gun point to sign with Island Def Jam. She DECIDED to do so and cancel her tour.

Receipts?

:mellow:

Seriously?

Janet is a grown ass woman and if she had no control (pun intended) over any aspect of that album then Idk what to say. I'd like to see the receipts that Janet had zero, zip, zap say on the album as many of you are trying to claim.

So...Janet signed over her rights and expected to be heard afterward? That's stupid.

She probably did what she felt was necessary at the time...with her issues in the industry. She took the path that she felt was best to get things back on track, but LA Reid was just a terrible choice. It is what it is...

How come Janet's comeback wasn't the same as Mariah's. Mariah's was epic. Had all the right ingredients. With Janet, they went into a different territory, with all this weird-shit music

Mariah's comeback was epic because she remained true to herself and was confident in the project. Janet wasn't herself and she lacked confidence throughout the whole era. She was basically riding till the wheels fell off for her ego. IMO, it was a shit storm bound to happen. Janet wasn't herself at all. The Janet today would NEVER walk out the house in a poodle wig and combat boots.

Mariah's comeback was epic because she remained true to herself and was confident in the project. Janet wasn't herself and she lacked confidence throughout the whole era. She was basically riding till the wheels fell off for her ego. IMO, it was a shit storm bound to happen. Janet wasn't herself at all. The Janet today would NEVER walk out the house in a poodle wig and combat boots.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao::lmao: :lmao:

She probably did what she felt was necessary at the time...with her issues in the industry. She took the path that she felt was best to get things back on track, but LA Reid was just a terrible choice. It is what it is...

That's so sad and pathetic. I'm glad she's all about "liberating" and being her true self these days -_- It's like a rebirth :wub:

and bitch you can't deny that Janet had some say in the project. :umm:

How come Janet's comeback wasn't the same as Mariah's. Mariah's was epic. Had all the right ingredients. With Janet, they went into a different territory, with all this weird-shit music and imagery etc

Mariah and LA lucked up with "We Belong Together" It wasn't going that great before that point...

LA assumed he could have the same success/recreate that success with Janet.

Mariah and LA lucked up with "We Belong Together" It wasn't going that great before that point...

LA assumed he could have the same success/recreate that success with Janet.

But yet the producers that know how Janet works inside and out weren't included in the process. That should have been the first clue that the album was gonna suck.

You do understand that Janet made the decision to agree and sign with Island Def Jam. She wasn't held at gun point to sign with Island Def Jam. She DECIDED to do so and cancel her tour.

:mellow:

Seriously?

Janet is a grown ass woman and if she had no control (pun intended) over any aspect of that album then Idk what to say. I'd like to see the receipts that Janet had zero, zip, zap say on the album as many of you are trying to claim.

I understand what you're saying. Janet has her own mind, she's gonna make her own decisions (rebuttal pun intended). And I know for a fact that Janet has some say in the album. I remember her doing an interview where she said she told Jermaine that she needed a house track and he brought her RWU. But at the end of the day, LA Reid, as Rodney or JD said, picked the songs. It just so happened that RWU made the album. Plus she said the label asked her to put off the tour. I just think it's ridiculous to say she wanted to do the album.

I'm sure Janet had some said in the album when she was recording it. As far as what we know from Janet's mouth, issues started happening after "Feedback" was released.

Exactly. LA was blabbing about how the label is going to stand strong behind the album but he bailed out once everything nose dived. I can't say I fully blame him because most labels bail out once an album shows no progress because at that point the artist is just wasting money.

That is exactly right

I remember during the Discipl era, I was like "who is this?"

It was someone I didn't recognise (and the general public probably felt the same)

The Janet today would NEVER walk out the house in a poodle wig and combat boots.

I know

I can't

What was that

What was she thinking?

That's so sad and pathetic. I'm glad she's all about "liberating" and being her true self these days -_- It's like a rebirth :wub:

and bitch you can't deny that Janet had some say in the project. :umm:

Yes, I would say she's found her self again...it's definitely a rebirth,

I think her input wasn't that great, and she tried to assert more control after "Feedback" and LA Reid felt some type of way about it. He obviously "knew what was best" for Janet...that type of thing. -_-

Exactly. LA was blabbing about how the label is going to stand strong behind the album but he bailed out once everything nose dived. I can't say I fully blame him because most labels bail out once an album shows no progress because at that point the artist is just wasting money.

But he bailed right before it was released though :lol: I love how he tries to act like we won't remember that he was the original exec. producer of Janet's while JD was the e.p. for Mariah's, and how LA was talking about it's was going to be a friendly competition of him and Janet vs. JD and Mariah. When we found out that they switched, someone posted some article about Mariah crying to LA about backing Janet's project instead of hers...not sure if that article was 100% true, but I believe Mariah had some role in the background.

Let us not put anything past Janet's fashion sense. Might I remind you of these blunders both past a present:

normal_Clive_Davis_Annual_Grammy_Party_Feb_12_2005_(23).jpg

Notice the boots:

normal_Arena970003.jpg

normal_For_Colored_Girls_Premiere_October_25_2010_12.jpg

Archived