LA Reid comments on Discipline & he and Janet's friendship

bzebabe

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know either JD or Rodney said LA Reid picked all the songs.

The idea of blaming Janet for an album she didn't want to do has no merit in my eyes.

U make it sound like she was a victim, or that she just sat there and just accepted what was given to her. Like it was forced upon her or something

I doubt it

I mean seriously. We all know what we're talking about here. Was it really necessary for TOF to come along and quote it? :sigh: Then Blatin, Greg/Dean, and Lexi are all gonna come along and do it. It's so annoying. We know what you're responding to so there's no need to quote the WHOLE post. :sigh:

I instantly thought about blatin when I saw your post :lmao: TOF is a tad slow anyways :sigh:

"Horrible" albums are successful all the time.... :rolleyes:

Plus "Discipline" had singles. LA Reid just fucked them up. :coffee:

Discipline wasn't :filenails: They (Janet included) should have known better than to release that mess.

The strongest single was release and was a Top 20 hit...that's good enough for that horrible album. She was better off re-releasing Dream Street :filenails:

Actually, I have a question.

How much say did Janet have in the album?

If she was Ok with it, we can't just blame everyone else

Don't know but she didn't write in it. During the Essence Music Festival, she was asked what songs she was going to perform, she said something in the nature of mainly focusing on the material that she wrote and went on to brag about her writings -_-

Righttt because Janet was absolutely oblivious to each song she recorded and picked to be on her own album. :wacko:

Bravo! Blame everyone but Janet. So predictable.

I'm not blaming everyone but Janet... :rolleyes:

Ya'll know LA Reid, had alot to do with Discipline's success (or lack there of :rolleyes: )

Ya'll were all on his dick when just before and just after Discipline was released. :rolleyes:

Let's not, tonight... :rolleyes:

The idea of blaming Janet for an album she didn't want to do has no merit in my eyes.

Indeed, didn't Janet say she didn't want to do the album, and they picked out songs for her they thought she'd like? It's not uncommon in such situations for the record label to choose the tracklisting.

But really, the only thing I'm upset about from that era is that Feedback didn't do even better - it deserved to be at the very least in the top 10. But I don't know all the details on promo and everything - I was living abroad when it was released and so wasn't aware of the reception it was getting in the US or anything.

U make it sound like she was a victim, or that she just sat there and just accepted what was given to her. Like it was forced upon her or something

I doubt it

She pretty much was. She looked so far removed during the whole era. You could tell she didn't want to do that damn album. It was written all over her face, the interviews, and the choreography.

LA picked every track on that album, the direction the album would go in as well as the producers. That was his project as much as if not more so than Janet's. But at the end of the day the album didn't work because Janet is an artist and not just a muse. She needed creative freedom as well as say so. It was the type of album a marginal janet fan would make. Not someone who really knows her. But at the end of the day, Janet put herself in that position because she gave her power away. So that brick is as much hers as it is LA's. I found it ironic that when MC signed to Janet's label she flopped and when Janet signed to MC's label she flopped. They need to be friends from a distance.

I'm not blaming everyone but Janet... :rolleyes:

Ya'll know LA Reid, had alot to do with Discipline's success (or lack there of :rolleyes: )

Ya'll were all on his dick when just before and just after Discipline was released. :rolleyes:

Let's not, tonight... :rolleyes:

:sigh:

You were better off on your hiatus.

Indeed, didn't Janet say she didn't want to do the album, and they picked out songs for her they thought she'd like? It's not uncommon in such situations for the record label to choose the tracklisting.

But really, the only thing I'm upset about from that era is that Feedback didn't do even better - it deserved to be at the very least in the top 10. But I don't know all the details on promo and everything - I was living abroad when it was released and so wasn't aware of the reception it was getting in the US or anything.

She claims the album asked her to put off the tour and do the album. The most likely translation - they paid me to do the album. Either Rodney or JD said LA Reid picked all the songs, hence why he was the executive producer. Janet just did the songs.

This is what I was alluded to, but I didn't/don't have the quote.

I doubt it

I'm not saying Janet is/was a victim... but she did what her label wanted and they STILL fucked her over in the end. To stop promotion on a project after she did what they wanted.

She pretty much was. She looked so far removed during the whole era. You could tell she didn't want to do that damn album. It was written all over her face, the interviews, and the choreography.

Janet wanted to do an album but she just didn't agree with how it turned out. She was 42 years old at the time, not 16. So let's not act like Janet was held at gun point (or in Joe's case - a belt) and forced to record the album. I just think she hated the fact that LA took over the whole project and ignored her. But I'm sure she added her 2 cents in regards to the concepts and song choices.

LA picked every track on that album, the direction the album would go in as well as the producers. That was his project as much as if not more so than Janet's. But at the end of the day the album didn't work because Janet is an artist and not just a muse. She needed creative freedom as well as say so. It was the type of album a marginal janet fan would make. Not someone who really knows her. But at the end of the day, Janet put herself in that position because she gave her power away. So that brick is as much hers as it is LA's. I found it ironic that when MC signed to Janet's label she flopped and when Janet signed to MC's label she flopped. They need to be friends from a distance.

This is what I was referring to

Janet wanted to do an album but she just didn't agree with how it turned out. She was 42 years old at the time, not 16. So let's not act like Janet was held at gun point (or in Joe's case - a belt) and forced to record the album. I just think she hated the fact that LA took over the whole project and ignored her. But I'm sure she added her 2 cents in regards to the concepts and song choices.

And that's when the issues arose, because Janet spoke up...

Archived