Is HIV/AIDS a gay person's disease?

Bailey

I don't know the number specifically but im just saying someone made a statement and got me kinda fucked up like whoa! They basically said AIDS is a gay person's disease so Ima need some clarification bout this :filenails:

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How old are you again?

It's been a "gay disease" since it was given a name in 1982.

The fact that 29 years of ignorance is still given any attention is far more shocking in my opinion...

How old are you again?

It's been a "gay disease" since it was given a name in 1982.

The fact that 29 years of ignorance is still given any attention is far more shocking in my opinion...

so you agree it's a gay disease? :unsure:

Im of African descent :unsure: do you mean to say it is a disease that plagues Sub-Saharan populations on the African continent?

HIV/AIDS not only plagues those in Sub-Saharan populations of Africa but it also is devastating among African American women in the States and young black gay men. Over here in DC, it's fucking crazy how much HIV is spread.

HIV/AIDS not only plagues those in Sub-Saharan populations of Africa but it also is devastating among African American women in the States and young black gay men. Over here in DC, it's fucking crazy how much HIV is spread.

That last part I read about several years ago that it is really wide spread there, I visited DC and wrapped it up the whole time I was there :whistle:

Doesn't DC have like the highest HIV rate in the country or something?

I wouldn't call HIV/AIDS a "gay person's disease", but that's certainly a community it's been prevalent in - and guys on the DL (of any race) have been known to bring it home to their wives. And people used to get it a lot through blood transfusions, but I think that doesn't happen much anymore?

Would be interesting to see the demographics on HIV/AIDS.

Now I do have an objection, because the general gay population has been exposed to HIV as a disease that is manageable, the young chirren, gay Whites do not fear the disease like it was back when people were dropping like flies. So today bareback sex is a lot more common. I admit I don't even watch gay videos with safe sex anymore it turns me off.

I wouldn't call HIV/AIDS a "gay person's disease", but that's certainly a community it's been prevalent in - and guys on the DL (of any race) have been known to bring it home to their wives. And people used to get it a lot through blood transfusions, but I think that doesn't happen much anymore?

Yes. In fact, it has a higher rate than new cases in West Africa.

Now I do have an objection, because the general gay population has been exposed to HIV as a disease that is manageable, the young chirren, gay Whites do not fear the disease like it was back when people were dropping like flies. So today bareback sex is a lot more common. I admit I don't even watch gay videos with safe sex anymore it turns me off.

Well of course it will always be prevalent among 'gays' and it did start out with us - but it's been transferred into different groups now with a larger impact.

Gurl wikipedia :filenails: anywho I guess Im saying at this point in history 2011, why are we still assigning this disease a specific community when we know it is far outside that community?

Well of course it will always be prevalent among 'gays' and it did start out with us - but it's been transferred into different groups now with a larger impact.

So it is no longer a gay person's disease just a trend gay people started :whistle:

Gurl wikipedia :filenails: anywho I guess Im saying at this point in history 2011, why are we still assigning this disease a specific community when we know it is far outside that community?

But that's my point in asking about the stats (which I'm too lazy to look for :asham:) - if the gay community still has significantly higher rates of HIV/AIDS than the general population, then I don't think it's necessarily wrong if the two things are associated in people's heads (and also the fact that it really first became known as being something that happened in the gay community).

Idk, I'm just trying to think who/what I think about when I hear about the disease - I feel like I think of Africa more than anything because of the publicity associated with the fact that a lot of folks over there don't have access to the meds they need to contain the disease.

IDK why JBailey thought this needed a whole thread. This coulda been said in Dayz' thread. :rolleyes:

I already spoke on it in Dayz thread and I wasn't trying to take his shine, his thread was about Sherri dumb ass and that rightfully deserved its OWN thread :rolleyes::coffee:

Archived