The Mariah Carey thread

RedSimba

TRUE, I do love that video more than the song itself (the vid helped me like the song)

The video is so funny to me :lol:. Other videos of hers I like are We Belong Together and All I Want for Christmas Is You. She isn't a video artist, in her defence. I'm just glad that the majority of her music is so good that it doesn't matter if the videos are the same.

• Upvote 1

The Triumphant video is pretty much what I expected based on the song and behind-the-scenes info leading up to it. It's far from her best but it's not nearly her worst either. It would've been cool if she was actually a female boxer. It would've been an ode to the "Heartbreaker (Remix)" video but still would've been more unexpected.

I acknowledge she's not a video artist, ...but "Honey" is still one the greatest videos of all time. :coffee: "Fantasy," "Always Be My Baby," all Butterfly-era videos, and "Heartbreaker" are really good too, and I'd make an argument for several others. "Make It Happen" had a good message; I actually think it's one of her best. Her Christmas music videos have a lot of heart; "O Holy Night 2000" actually puts puts me in the Xmas spirit more than the AIWFCIY videos. "Shake It Off," "Touch My Body" and "Up Out My Face" serve their purpose - they're fun videos and they do their job accordingly. And if "Obsessed" had less hair dryer moments, it would've been another great one too! :P

• 2 weeks later...

This is the mark of an icon... (The haters just can't take it :P)

Mariah Carey to Be Honored as BMI Icon on September 7 (today ^_^)

Congrats are in order for diva of all divas Mariah Carey, as she will be honored as a BMI Icon at the BMI Urban Awards, scheduled for Friday, September 7 at the Saban Theatre in Beverly Hills.

Carey will join an elite group that includes the Jacksons, Snoop Dogg, George Clinton, James Brown, Isaac Hayes, Little Richard, Al Green, the Bee Gees, Willie Nelson and Dolly Parton, all of whom were selected because of their "unique and indelible influence on generations of music makers." Yep, that description sounds like Mimi!

Over the years, Carey has co-written most of her biggest hits, a long list that includes 30 BMI Urban and Pop Award-winning songs such as "Always Be My Baby," "Hero," "Fantasy," "Vision of Love," "Emotions," "Shake It Off," "We Belong Together," "One Sweet Day," "I Don't Wanna Cry," "Dreamlover" and "All I Want for Christmas is You." A whopping 17 of her songs have amassed more than 1 million performances each, including "Always Be My Baby," "Dreamlover" and "Hero," which have each earned more than 3 million performances.

Carey has scored more No. 1 singles than any other solo artist in history and is second only to The Beatles in the all-time list! That's good company! She also holds the record for the female songwriter with the most Billboard Hot 100 No. 1 singles in the rock era, totaling 18.

Mariah, you are a BMI Icon! Love you, girl!

What is your favorite Mariah Carey song?

—Katie Sheehan

http://www.artistdirect.com/entertainment-news/article/mariah-carey-to-be-honored-as-bmi-icon-on-september-7/10230080

Her not having a verse is what doomed "Triumphant" commercially--this alone alienated half the fanbase. A single can't blow up if it doesn't win with the fans first. Even I was put off by that, but as a hip-hop fan I still love it - Meek Mill's verse is actually pretty good. This should've been a remix, and there should've been a solo version with the verse she did on the dance mix. But again, I'm glad she's sticking to her R&B roots and not selling out to electropop crowd. B) Only dance remixes which she's been doing since 1993.

When she releases her next single around December/January (1/3 would be ideal :whistle::P), the general public will have all but forgotten about "Triumphant" so come March it won't negatively effect the album. Shoot, I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't make the cut much like the situation with Nicki's "Massive Attack" and Mary's "Someone to Love Me (Naked)."