The Mariah Carey thread

RedSimba

I've heard some of it. It's pretty good on first listen (shut up Game) actually although there's no clear singles (once again shut up lol). It starts off a little slow put picks up nice. You Don't Know What to Do is very I'm That Chick like Escapade said, Thirsty is a poorer version of Migrate although I love it, whilst Meteroite sounded like I was listening to a house mix of Butterfly. Supernatural is cute. Cry & Faded were nice and she sounded great. The album is like a blend of her albums post Daydream. It's maturer than Memoirs (no silly lyrics which I actually miss). Hints of Glitter (just that 80s vibe sort of), Butterfly and E=MC imo. I need to listen to Camouflage onwards and listen to it a few more times to see if it holds well or it's just excitement talking. Admittedly nothing has wowed me yet although You Don't Know What To Do is my fave so far.

Doubtful. It's not an MC album without corny lyrics

:rolleyes:. I haven't caught any yet :lol:. None like George Foreman or Harvard University / lego type lines. But then I haven't paid proper attention.

New York Daily News Review

Mariah got the memo.

For her first pop album in five years — housed under the diva-like title "Me. I Am Mariah....The Elusive Chanteuse" — the star needed to heed the warning of her disastrous last work. And she has.

That disc, 2009's "Memoir of an Imperfect Angel," became the worst selling, and most creatively dire, recording of Carey's nearly quarter-century career. It also set off the longest stretch since she scored a slam-dunk smash single, dating back to 2008's "Touch My Body."

Carey's new music was long-delayed. In between, she put out an indifferent Christmas album and started fresh recordings, only to abandon them. The star also had personal challenges, like a pregnancy (with twins) she has described as "really difficult." Worse, she had to co-judge "American Idol" with Nicki Minaj

While the new "Chanteuse" has a formal release date of next Tuesday (May 27th), iTunes started streaming it early this morning.

The music reacts to Carey's fallow years in most every way it should. It returns her to the type of grand balladry, and formal melodies, that first made her a star. It's her most melodic, least-trendy album in memory - both moves that greatly flatter her.

Though the disc contains cameos from rappers like Nas and Wale, it has far fewer hip-hop inflections than the faux-hip "Memoir" disc. Instead it stresses songs like the opening weeper "Cry," an inspired throw-back to initial hits like "Vision of Love." Accompanied primarily by piano, Carey unfurls the full range of her instrument, something she had too often scaled back of late to suit songs over-indebted to their beats. The result lets her lean into the song's drama, which she engages completely.

That's not to say that Carey has abandoned more up-beat material. "Meteorite," which starts out quoting Andy Warhol's "15 minutes of fame" line, shoots us back to the days of Studio 54, with a spiraling, string-drenched disco beat. The pre-release single "#Beautiful," with guest star Miguel, has a classic R&B melody, boosted by a looming backbeat.

Whether in more elegant ballads, or most assertive R&B songs, the new tunes give Carey more to play with than usual. It's as if she'd been listening to Beyonce's albums, gaining tips for how to bridge trendy music with the classic type. Even a hip-hop influenced ditty like "Thirsty" has a broad tune.

As on many discs, Carey sticks in a famous cover. They're often corny ones (see: her run at Foreigner's "I Wanna Know what Love Is" last time). But here she makes a smarter choice - George Michael's "One More Try." Backed by a gospel organ and choir, Carey dances over the notes, wringing every ripple out of the tune. She even tailors her worst tics - those endless melismas - using them to mine emotion rather than to falsely impress.

Contrary to its title, the new album may be Carey's least elusive work. Rarely has she made her talent more clear.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music-arts/mariah-carey-mariah-elusive-chanteuse-album-review-article-1.1798877

Did it leak or are y'all still listening to iTunes Radio?

Itunes Radio doesn't work in the UK but it doesn't matter because once it hits iTunes Radio some blessed individual will rip it and 'leak' it :shifty:.

i found a low quality of it... i'll get rid of it when it's released next week

My version was pretty good but I'm obv going to get it next week

I downloaded it and then reported the blog that had it up cause I know that I'm going to support The queen of course but some people who download it won't.

Purchase dahlings.

38.gif

:lmao::lmao: