The Quest for Queendom (Queen of Pop)

Escapade

Interesting read

ranked in alphabetical order

1) Celine Dion

10-time Grammy winner Celine Dion had already cemented her diva-hood before she was even able to drive. By the time the singer had become an American sensation, she had already been decorated with many an award. Her biggest hit, 1998’s ‘My Heart Will Go On’ is one of the most successful songs of all time, with over 15 million copies sold worldwide. With 35 albums (13 English), the singer has sold a reported 200 million records worldwide.

2) Cher

One of very few singers in history to win every major honor of the entertainment industry (Academy Award, Emmy, Grammy, Golden Globe). With 41 albums (25 studio) released and over 100 million records sold, the ‘If I Could Turn Back Time’ singer is also the only singer in history to have a number 1 single in each of the previous decades (a record just cemented this year). Her biggest hit, 1998’s ‘Believe’ gave her the distinct honor of having the longest span between number one singles – 1965’s ‘I Got You Babe’ being the first. And, the song also gave the then-53 year old the honor of being the oldest person to occupy the #1 spot on Billboard’s Hot 100.

3) Janet Jackson

The youngest member of music’s most important family has niched her place in history as one of pop’s most celebrated entertainers. Noted for her energetic live spectacles and classic pop hits, Miss Jackson’s influence on today’s pop stars is undeniable. With 14 albums (10 studio), 10 Hot 100 #1 singles, 27 Hot 100 Top Ten singles, and over 100 million sold, the 6-time Grammy winner’s place in the history books was cemented long before her 30th birthday. Her critically and commercially acclaimed ‘Rhythm Nation 1814’ album (1989) still holds the record as the only album to have yielded 7 top ten Hot 100 singles with 4 of them reaching #1 over three separate calendar years. Even with all of the aforementioned, her youthful appearance would yield no clue that she has experienced over 35 years in the business. And, with a sold out world tour in progress, the ‘All For You’ singer looks to have no plans of slowing down.

4) Madonna

Arguably the most celebrated female singer in history (and the most cited as the real ‘Queen of Pop’). With 29 albums (11 studio), 12 Hot 100 #1 singles, 37 Hot 100 Top Ten (more than any other artist in history), the singer is cited as the best-selling female artist in history with sales in excess of 300 million. The ‘Vogue’ singer is also the most successful solo tour artist in history, breaking each of her own records with every tour. To list Madge’s library of achievements would nearly be impossible, but to see her influence on every single person on Rolling Stone’s ‘Queen of Pop’ list is not.

5) Mariah Carey

While Madonna was listed by Billboard as the most successful female artist in Hot 100 history, Mariah Carey is known by many as The Queen of Billboard. With a staggering 18 Hot 100 #1 singles, the singer currently holds the record for the most #1 singles of any artist in history. Her song ‘One Sweet Day’ holds the record as the longest running song of Billboard history (16 consecutive weeks), while her 2005 hit ‘We Belong Together’ was listed as the biggest song of the 2000s, spending 14 non-consecutive weeks atop the chart. The singer also is the only artist in history have a number 1 single on the Hot 100 every year of a decade. Furthermore, we should mention that she is the youngest artist on the list. At 41, the ‘Vision of Love’ diva, known for her soaring vocals and multi-octave range, has sold a reported 200 million records with 20 albums (13 studio). And, with an album in the works with an expected release date in late 2011, Mimi looks to increase that number.

6) Whitney Houston

The Voice. The definitive Voice. Whitney Elizabeth Houston is the most decorated female artist in history. It has been reported that as of 2010 (including lifetime achievement awards) the singer has won over 400 industry awards including 6 Grammys, 30 Billboard Awards, 22 American Music Awards (more than any other artist in history), among others. While the singer has the least number of albums released (14 total, 7 studio) the singer has still amassed over 170 million records sold worldwide. Topped with 11 Hot 100 #1 singles, the ‘I’m Your Baby Tonight’ singer is still the only artist in history to have 7 consecutive Hot 100 #1 singles. Her biggest hit ‘I Will Always Love You’ is the best selling single in history by a female artist, and second overall best selling. The song’s parent soundtrack, ‘The Bodyguard’, is the best selling soundtrack in history (and the accompanying movie is one of the highest grossing in history). With every singer who even partially considers themselves a vocalist citing Miss Houston as an influence, she has unquestionably defined what it means to be a ‘diva’ for the last 25 years in pop.

Now that you have the facts, we want your opinion. Who is the real queen of pop? Class is in session. Pencils ready? Begin.

Crazy comments:

TS BEEN A KNOWN FACT THAT ALL THE LADIES MENTION IN THIS POST HAVE LOOKED UP TO OUR LORD AND SAVIOR GODGA!!!!!!!!

SHE HAS INSPIRED MANY OF US TO BE WHO WE ARE AND NOT TO BE AFRAID OF THE HOMOPHOBES AND HATEFULL PEOPLE OUT THERE!!!!!!!

SHES AMAZING!!!!!!!!!

SHE HAS MADE IT LEGAL FOR GAYS TO MARRY IN NEW YORK!!!!!!

WHO ELSE HAS DONE THAT????????

LETS ALL HOLD HANDS AND PRAY FOR OUR LORD AND SAVIOR GODGA!

MADONNA CAN KEEP THE TITLE BECAUSE GAGA IS AND FOREVER WILL BE GOD OF MUSIC!!!!!!!!!! SHE DIED FOR OUR SINS, I LOVE YOU MOMMY MONSTER!!!!

Another one

LMFAOOO! Just Because JANITOR Is The Sister Of The KING OF POP, Doesn’t Mean She Automatically Becomes Queen The Bitch Is A JOKE!

If I Had To Pick From This List It Would Be Either Madonna Or Mariah Carey!

But…

We All Know Beyonce Is The NEW QUEEN OF POP!

#KingB2011

Interesting read

ranked in alphabetical order of superiority:

1) Celine Dion

10-time Grammy winner Celine Dion had already cemented her diva-hood before she was even able to drive. By the time the singer had become an American sensation, she had already been decorated with many an award. Her biggest hit, 1998’s ‘My Heart Will Go On’ is one of the most successful songs of all time, with over 15 million copies sold worldwide. With 35 albums (13 English), the singer has sold a reported 200 million records worldwide.

2) Cher

One of very few singers in history to win every major honor of the entertainment industry (Academy Award, Emmy, Grammy, Golden Globe). With 41 albums (25 studio) released and over 100 million records sold, the ‘If I Could Turn Back Time’ singer is also the only singer in history to have a number 1 single in each of the previous decades (a record just cemented this year). Her biggest hit, 1998’s ‘Believe’ gave her the distinct honor of having the longest span between number one singles – 1965’s ‘I Got You Babe’ being the first. And, the song also gave the then-53 year old the honor of being the oldest person to occupy the #1 spot on Billboard’s Hot 100.

3) Janet Jackson

The youngest member of music’s most important family has niched her place in history as one of pop’s most celebrated entertainers. Noted for her energetic live spectacles and classic pop hits, Miss Jackson’s influence on today’s pop stars is undeniable. With 14 albums (10 studio), 10 Hot 100 #1 singles, 27 Hot 100 Top Ten singles, and over 100 million sold, the 6-time Grammy winner’s place in the history books was cemented long before her 30th birthday. Her critically and commercially acclaimed ‘Rhythm Nation 1814’ album (1989) still holds the record as the only album to have yielded 7 top ten Hot 100 singles with 4 of them reaching #1 over three separate calendar years. Even with all of the aforementioned, her youthful appearance would yield no clue that she has experienced over 35 years in the business. And, with a sold out world tour in progress, the ‘All For You’ singer looks to have no plans of slowing down.

4) Madonna

Arguably the most celebrated female singer in history (and the most cited as the real ‘Queen of Pop’). With 29 albums (11 studio), 12 Hot 100 #1 singles, 37 Hot 100 Top Ten (more than any other artist in history), the singer is cited as the best-selling female artist in history with sales in excess of 300 million. The ‘Vogue’ singer is also the most successful solo tour artist in history, breaking each of her own records with every tour. To list Madge’s library of achievements would nearly be impossible, but to see her influence on every single person on Rolling Stone’s ‘Queen of Pop’ list is not.

5) Mariah Carey

While Madonna was listed by Billboard as the most successful female artist in Hot 100 history, Mariah Carey is known by many as The Queen of Billboard. With a staggering 18 Hot 100 #1 singles, the singer currently holds the record for the most #1 singles of any artist in history. Her song ‘One Sweet Day’ holds the record as the longest running song of Billboard history (16 consecutive weeks), while her 2005 hit ‘We Belong Together’ was listed as the biggest song of the 2000s, spending 14 non-consecutive weeks atop the chart. The singer also is the only artist in history have a number 1 single on the Hot 100 every year of a decade. Furthermore, we should mention that she is the youngest artist on the list. At 41, the ‘Vision of Love’ diva, known for her soaring vocals and multi-octave range, has sold a reported 200 million records with 20 albums (13 studio). And, with an album in the works with an expected release date in late 2011, Mimi looks to increase that number.

6) Whitney Houston

The Voice. The definitive Voice. Whitney Elizabeth Houston is the most decorated female artist in history. It has been reported that as of 2010 (including lifetime achievement awards) the singer has won over 400 industry awards including 6 Grammys, 30 Billboard Awards, 22 American Music Awards (more than any other artist in history), among others. While the singer has the least number of albums released (14 total, 7 studio) the singer has still amassed over 170 million records sold worldwide. Topped with 11 Hot 100 #1 singles, the ‘I’m Your Baby Tonight’ singer is still the only artist in history to have 7 consecutive Hot 100 #1 singles. Her biggest hit ‘I Will Always Love You’ is the best selling single in history by a female artist, and second overall best selling. The song’s parent soundtrack, ‘The Bodyguard’, is the best selling soundtrack in history (and the accompanying movie is one of the highest grossing in history). With every singer who even partially considers themselves a vocalist citing Miss Houston as an influence, she has unquestionably defined what it means to be a ‘diva’ for the last 25 years in pop.

Now that you have the facts, we want your opinion. Who is the real queen of pop? Class is in session. Pencils ready? Begin.

:filenails:

Queen Mother Streisand and Godmother Dolly approve. :filenails:

All these women are Queens of POP.

None of them have made an impact big enough to lay sole claim to the throne ala Michael Jackson and Elvis.

I think gender has a role in it too. With men, they can have fans of all genders and sexual orientations... with women it's more limited. I don't know any straight man that stans for someone like Janet or Madonna or faints at a Whitney concert. I think that's why you don't see any women on the level of MJ, Elvis or the Beatles

I think gender has a role in it too. With men, they can have fans of all genders and sexual orientations... with women it's more limited. I don't know any straight man that stans for someone like Janet or Madonna or faints at a Whitney concert. I think that's why you don't see any women on the level of MJ, Elvis or the Beatles

Interesting.

But on the other hand, these women have the advantage of gender. Sex sells. Look at Madonna. Her career was built on being provocative. Women benefit from gender as well.

I was thinking about this a couple of days ago. Women definitely are gay icons, but they don't have that appeal like their male counterparts.

Interesting.

But on the other hand, these women have the advantage of gender. Sex sells. Look at Madonna. Her career was built on being provocative. Women benefit from gender as well.

I think men can sell sex too. Prince is an example... the old Prince LOL

When the new girls don't matter, their stans go batshit :lmao:

In the grand landscape of POP music history, the new "queens" are a non motherfucking FAC-TOR.

I love some of the new girls, but unfortunately this is true. -_- If you look at where Madonna, Janet, Whitney, Mariah, and Celine were at 30, they were a little further ahead in their careers than where today's artists are.

I think men can sell sex too. Prince is an example... the old Prince LOL

Men DO sell sex..are you kidding me? Even in the "selling sex" departement I think men excel becuz you're gonna hear more screams when a male artist undresses than if a female undresses..becuz str8 men aren't gonna scream like some bitches :lol:

Men DO sell sex..are you kidding me? Even in the "selling sex" departement I think men excel becuz you're gonna hear more screams when a male artist undresses than if a female undresses..becuz str8 men aren't gonna scream like some bitches :lol:

LOL that's my point! Men will always have larger fan bases cause most straight men don't stan for women

Janet is the queen.

What people don't realise is it's not all about sales. It's about impact to the industry and cultural significance.

Janet is the only one in that bunch who has achieved the highest impact and significance. Impact in music and video through incorporating dance in to video as a concept...something everyone takes for granted now. Not to mention more than any on the list the 'Janet blueprint' is the one that is mist evidently copied today. She also has the most diverse catalogue and the most personal lyrics.

Her cultural significance is much more apparent than the others. A child star, the world has grown up with Janet longer than the rest. People know her, they relate to her, she's real, she's grounded, but she is a powerhouse name that people still are starstruck by. Out of all those mentioned, Janet even though having been around longer is still the mist youthful in age, appearance and persona, and so has every potential to continue relevant success. The others are dwindling in to past it status. Janet will forever remain relevant. This proven by her ability to resurge now after her troubles in recent years.

I also think it's the fact the a male's music can transcend generations better than women. You would most likely hear younger generation embrace Male acts of the younger generations embracing older music. I hears many people say they like the Beatles, Elvis, Michael Jackson, etc. With female artists you mainly get the gays....and that's not a big number. And even that group can be quite fickle.

Archived