Lets be real...Is Lady Gaga really this fashion icon for the music industry or is she an attention seeking clown?

King Baby

Lets be real...and by the way, who is musics top 10 biggest fashion icons?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Is Gaga a fashion icon in the way of Michael Jackson, Elvis, and the Supremes?

• No...Anybody can strap a piece of raw beef on their heads and get attention at the VMAs
    • Yes...She is effects her generation as much those artist did during their peaks.
    • She hasn't been around long enough to say. Madonna continued past the wild outfits and held strong in fashion for decades. Only time will say of Gaga
  2. 2. Who is the biggest fashion icon in the music industry ever

• Elvis
    • Madonna
    • Cher
    • Diana Ross & The Supremes
    • Michael Jackson
    • Prince
    • Lady Gaga
    • Beyonce
    • OTHER

Sure we are all talking about the "fashion icon" Lady Gaga now, but is she really doing it up like Michael Jackson, Elvis and Madonna and them did back then. The white glove, the glittering socks with penny loafers, the red 'thriller' jacket...These things are legendary. Elvis fashion jumpsuits damn near are the symbols for Las Vegas these days, everytime you see a female group in gowns from En Vogue to Destiny's Child you think of the Supremes...Madonna has changed fashion so much and her trends have stayed effecting culture since she hit the scene. Lets be honest before the leotard made a come back with "Single Ladies(Put a Ring On It)" Madonna was rocking it in "Hung Up"...

Furthermore shock dressing is nothing new. Grace Jones definately did it, so did Kiss, so do thousnds of Ravens fans every week at football game arenas with their nipples out, bright wigs and faces painted purple, and everybody shock dressed in the 80s from Boy George to Cindy Lauper. They just didn't have the instant worldwide viewing created by Social Networks and cameraphones that these new girls do.

So my question is Lady Gaga really a fashion icon of say, Diana Ross who will always be remembered for FASHION EXCELLENCE of is she a Fashion misfit like MC Hammer, who will always be remembered for his Parachute pants?

For the first question, where's the: "Hell to the no! Since when are meat dresses, Flea Market dominatrix outfits and the other half being picked from a Kindergarten class's Arts&Crafts considered iconic?" answer?

She is a damn joke.

Plus, I feel Janet and Mike are the biggest fashion icons. You see everybody trying to imitate them and no body had done what they did before. They pushed limits without doing too much. It's a tie between those two. If any are before them, it's easily Diana.

I can't @ the part about madonna. When do u ever see anyone wear madonna....ugh seriously so over rated.

Anyway. Some people have such a silly outlook on fashion.

Iconic fashion is not meat dresses or cone bras or even a sparkling glove. Fashion is about the cut of a fabric, the shape of the trouser, the style of the hair, the colours. In all of that Janet is the fashion icon. She has taken high fashion to the high street more than Michael, madonna, or gaga ever have or will. She took simple styles, caught the trends and turned them in to iconic looks.

I can't @ the part about madonna. When do u ever see anyone wear madonna....ugh seriously so over rated.

Anyway. Some people have such a silly outlook on fashion.

Iconic fashion is not meat dresses or cone bras or even a sparkling glove. Fashion is about the cut of a fabric, the shape of the trouser, the style of the hair, the colours. In all of that Janet is the fashion icon. She has taken high fashion to the high street more than Michael, madonna, or gaga ever have or will. She took simple styles, caught the trends and turned them in to iconic looks.

Every bit except the part about Michael I agree with. Michael is just as much of a fashion icon. You see people imitating him just as much as they imitate Janet. They tie at #1 and that's that.

Who wears everyday clothes like MJ, though? :mellow:

You do see variations of his military jackets all the time. Plus, I can't tell you how often I see versions of his BoW, TWYMMF, and Beat It outfits. People even have found ways to make his Thriller and Billie Jean outfits casual. I can toss myself in that mix lol.

You do see variations of his military jackets all the time. Plus, I can't tell you how often I see versions of his BoW, TWYMMF, and Beat It outfits. People even have found ways to make his Thriller and Billie Jean outfits casual. I can toss myself in that mix lol.

I guess. Do you think he's the reason military-style jackets are in today, though? I think he brought it back/made it a trend in the mid-'80s but it wasn't really popular in the '90s and it's made a comeback in the 2000s/10s.

My thinking is, you don't need to see everyday people wearing your chit to be considered a fashion icon. You just have to have cool (I use that word broadly) outfits.

I guess. Do you think he's the reason military-style jackets are in today, though? I think he brought it back/made it a trend in the mid-'80s but it wasn't really popular in the '90s and it's made a comeback in the 2000s/10s.

My thinking is, you don't need to see everyday people wearing your chit to be considered a fashion icon. You just have to have cool (I use that word broadly) outfits.

Well with the way he's "come back in style" himself, though I hate to phrase it that way, I would say so. Ever since like 2006 when he was back in the spotlight, even during the trial I could say, the military-style was starting to come back and really surface.

True. I don't think that's the only thing to make you a fashion icon, either. But then that brings up a reason to define what makes fashion iconic. I'd say it's when people, for one, can remember it generations after you wore it but in the light that they want to imitate it or have a fashion style of their own like that. Not be repulsed by it (Example: Gaga. Her "fashion" will be remembered but for all the wrong reasons).

i think y'all voting MJ cuz he's MJ :sigh:

glittery jackets and gloves and military jackets doesn't make a fashion icon.

i agree... i don't see him as a fashion icon... :blink: it's takes more than a military jacket to be an icon

If you were to ask designers/stylist what celebs they feel were the most "stylish"...Mikes name would NOT come up,I guarantee it. Just because someone is known for a certain signature look hardly qualifies them as being "iconic" in the fashion world. :lol: Michael is no ones "fashionista" :lol:

As for Madonna ..um she's more of a fashion icon in a sense of videos and live stage shows but red carpet? Not so much,not from what I remember.

J.lo is really the only person that comes to mind tbh :lol: You can tell she devotes ALOT of time to fashion and what she wears because its apart of her "celebrity" and its expected from her.

Rihanna is on her way,I think.She's already light years ahead of her peers including Gaga's ridiculous -yet interesting red carpet swag. :lmao:

And COMPLETE DEATH @ Beyonce even being in the poll at all. :lmao:

Gaga is already an icon. Anyone who does anything remotely over the top is compared to her, she has come in and owned that niche of fashion.

Madonna's style is still emulated, her look in the 80s helped define the era and still influences anyone who wants to recall that time period.

Archived