Today's music

LyricalLesson

It just really hit me that I generally don't care about the music of today. And I only REALLY like a handful of artitsts introduced in the past decade. I remember just 5 short years ago, I used to buy 2 or 3 CDs every Tuesday. This year (aside from the 10 I got at ridiculous clearance prices) I've only bought 3 -_- I just don't really dig today's 'sound' and lack of substance. Singles here and there grab my attention, but that's as far as it goes.

The best album I've bought this year (which is actually a 2010 release) was Miguel's album "All I Want Is You"...and it's EXCELLENT! Fine R&B and Soul...pure R&B and Soul...a rarity today. He's a great writer and he can actually sing, his music is potent and has substance. Other than that, everything's just been ho-hum for me.

I find myself bumpin 90's, 80's and early 2000's music on a regular basis. You'd swear I was 13 again :sigh: I really miss the music of past.

You and I are of the same mind and heart :wub: lol. The only albums from "new artists" that I've bought have been Miguel, P!nk, Bey's first album, Christina and Adele. Beyond that? Nope. Most of what I buy now as far as artists goes is from my old faves from the 60s-90s who continue to release, foreign music by my Euro/Arab/Indian/Latin faves and some rock bands here in the States. Everything else has just disappointed me to no end. :sigh:

You and I are of the same mind and heart :wub: lol. The only albums from "new artists" that I've bought have been Miguel, P!nk, Bey's first album, Christina and Adele. Beyond that? Nope. Most of what I buy now as far as artists goes is from my old faves from the 60s-90s who continue to release, foreign music by my Euro/Arab/Indian/Latin faves and some rock bands here in the States. Everything else has just disappointed me to no end. :sigh:

We got a lot in common :blush: I feel you completely, I've bought a lot of albums from 2000 til about 2006/7, but mostly because I collect CDs...looking back, there aren't too many that stick out as great albums :sigh: back in the 80's and 90's, that was rarely the case.

We got a lot in common :blush: I feel you completely, I've bought a lot of albums from 2000 til about 2006/7, but mostly because I collect CDs...looking back, there aren't too many that stick out as great albums :sigh: back in the 80's and 90's, that was rarely the case.

We really do :blush: Exactly. Back then, you were beyond anxious for the next release of your faves' albums. I remember already having Mike's Dangerous album around the time I was born, but when HIStory released?? Ohh boy. I was a small little thing back then but I HAD to be at the store ready to get that album. Same thing happened when Janet's TVR album dropped. I was there at 7 a.m. ready with money to get it. I was just a little kid. Once the 00s hit, I only lined up for my faves. I haven't even listened to the radio in a good 4-5 years.

We really do :blush: Exactly. Back then, you were beyond anxious for the next release of your faves' albums. I remember already having Mike's Dangerous album around the time I was born, but when HIStory released?? Ohh boy. I was a small little thing back then but I HAD to be at the store ready to get that album. Same thing happened when Janet's TVR album dropped. I was there at 7 a.m. ready with money to get it. I was just a little kid. Once the 00s hit, I only lined up for my faves. I haven't even listened to the radio in a good 4-5 years.

:wub: You brought back so many memories :lol: I remember being in the store with my Mom when she bought "Dangerous", and I remember buying the "HIStory" album with leftover birthday money...I thought it was the coolest thing ever because it was a double album :lol: believe it or not, I never bought "TVR" until a couple years back because I needed it to complete the collection ( TVR isn't a favorite Janet album of mine, I know this qualifies as something we don't have in common :asham: ) Anyway, I started buying CDs like crazy shortly after I bought HIStory...I had 463 last time I checked :blush: but at this rate, I think I'll break 500 somewhere near the year 2045 -_-

:wub: You brought back so many memories :lol: I remember being in the store with my Mom when she bought "Dangerous", and I remember buying the "HIStory" album with leftover birthday money...I thought it was the coolest thing ever because it was a double album :lol: believe it or not, I never bought "TVR" until a couple years back because I needed it to complete the collection ( TVR isn't a favorite Janet album of mine, I know this qualifies as something we don't have in common :asham: ) Anyway, I started buying CDs like crazy shortly after I bought HIStory...I had 463 last time I checked :blush: but at this rate, I think I'll break 500 somewhere near the year 2045 -_-

Really? :lol: Sweet! lol. Dangerous is still my fave Mike album. :thumbup: Oh really? Hm. That's interesting lol. (It's cool. We can have a few differences ^_^:lol: ) Oh wow. That's a pretty big collection :lol: Yeah, I don't think our faves will be releasing too many between now and then -_-

Today's music doesn't cut it for me either; the talent has gone underground IMO. The only new artist of the past year I've become a huge fan of is Janelle Monáe (anxiously waiting for Suite IV). Other than that, I'm mainly checking for older, established artists' music. I do like J. Cole, Drake, and Frank Ocean as well though.

Can't live in the past ... I love the music of the older generation but its a new time and new day. The typical dumb response would be oh all the new artists don't compare blah blah... spend so much time looking into the past you can't appreciate whats out now... Artists like Marsha & Kanye west to name just two come to mind.

Her first solo cd right?

Kanye is one of the most consistent and versatile artists of this generation... No not stanning but he always brings something different to the table.

So that means she's new? :wacko:

There are artists this can be said for, too. Doesn't mean it's always positive. Then when it sometimes is, they go on a huge ego trip. Not here for that. Give me the humble artists who live for the music and the dance, not the fame and popularity.

So that means she's new? :wacko:

There are artists this can be said for, too. Doesn't mean it's always positive. Then when it sometimes is, they go on a huge ego trip. Not here for that. Give me the humble artists who live for the music and the dance, not the fame and popularity.

I don't get huge ego from kanye thats probably something just to protect him. He honestly doesn't seem like a bad person to me... if you don't believe in yourself no one else will and people will walk all over you and discredit you... humility with balance is always a good thing....

The standards dropped and so did the business and the music. The consumers changed and that's the main reason why it hasn't been the same.

Labels control pretty much everything these days and what they want are hits and albums that will sell not caring if it's going to ruin the quality of the music.

Award shows like the grammys are now rewarding popularity instead of quality, all you gotta do is go look at some clips from the 70´s 80´and compare it to the 00's.

Good music is still there, it's just not in your face you gotta do some searching

Can't live in the past ... I love the music of the older generation but its a new time and new day. The typical dumb response would be oh all the new artists don't compare blah blah... spend so much time looking into the past you can't appreciate whats out now... Artists like Marsha & Kanye west to name just two come to mind.

I don't feel like I'm living in the past...and I actually don't think saying that today's artists don't compare is "dumb" simply because in my opinion, generally it rings completely true. It may be a "new time and a new day" -- but I'm not diggin' that new shit, as a whole. I don't care for the fad-worthy "new" sound that's running rampant all over the radio. I don't care for auto-tune. I don't like that everyone and their mama is turning to dance/euro music to save/revive their careers.

I give new stuff a chance, but most of what I've heard for the past 5 years is just not nearly as potent, memorable, or quality as music from the yesteryears. -_- if that means I'm living in the past, then by golly -- I'm livin' in the past.

[quote name=Selita Jo ^_^' timestamp='1317072737' post='242824]

Jevar - have a listen to this > http://tvider.com/view/65267 It's Lascel Wood, one of the contestants from UK X-Factor this year, he got through to boot camp and was favourite to win but he completely lost his voice and they had to axe him. Such an awful shame :tear:

Hey J, how much into rock music are you? Rock bands, really? I can introduce you to my faves if you'd like :) Well overall, do you think you can dig foreign music? I can introduce you to alot :blush: Welcome you to part of my world :wub:

I am a ceritfied musical chameleon! I honestly am open to ALL kinds of music, and have quite a bit of foreign music on my mp3 player :blush:

I REALLY like Rock music. Especially Alt-Rock, and Pop-Rock. Progressive Rock, some Punk. I just don't like really heavy metal or Screamo. I love Old school grunge too, "Smells Like Teen Spirit" by Nirvana is my FAVORITE SONG OF ALL TIME :w00t:

By all means girl, hit ya boy up with your faves :D

I feel in the minority a lot of the time but I rarely - if ever - experience a downtime in music. Obviously the comparison between now and the past is inevitable, but if anything I've noticed a major shift in quantity rather than quality. There are just so many acts these days whereas with the '90s it was all about the major players. And yeah, that's what made that decade the greatest for me, but I wouldn't write off any year since. I still love and enjoy the bulk of today's popular music and I've been wondering lately if that will ever change. Will I be in my 70s and listening to the latest hits like I've always done? Part of me hopes so. I've never looked at the Top 40 on Billboard and not known all of the songs. It's who I am, it's what I do.

Archived