Superstars pay tribute to Janet Jackson

SloLove

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doing a personal album doesn't make someone unoriginal. They were all going through very different situations and they have pretty different styles so they each sounded different. In referring to Austin's post comparing TVR, Stripped, HIStory and Butterfly

Doing a personal album doesn't make someone unoriginal. They were all going through very different situations and they have pretty different styles so they each sounded different. In referring to Austin's post comparing TVR, Stripped, HIStory and Butterfly

Well then that's a double standard. Stripped is a personal album. Janet, Mariah, and MJ all did personal albums before Stripped, but Stripped is considered original in his opinion??? Yet, when Beyonce employs elements of the original work into her own work it's considered copying???

Well then that's a double standard. Stripped is a personal album. Janet, Mariah, and MJ all did personal albums before Stripped, but Stripped is considered original in his opinion??? Yet, when Beyonce employs elements of the original work into her own work it's considered copying???

How is it a double standard? It's personal, but the styles are totally different. No-one has a copyright on the idea of doing a personal album, nor can anyone ever since everyone goes through different things. Those 4 albums don't sounda alike in the slightest, imo. Beyonce employs 85% of the original work, and only pays homage when she is caught. At that, most of what she changes, visually, is the fashion. Much else stays entirely the same as the original. THAT is copying.

Only thing different is the overall fashion and the song theme. Maybe one move here and there. That doesn't account for much.

:mellow:

How is it a double standard? It's personal, but the styles are totally different. No-one has a copyright on the idea of doing a personal album, nor can anyone ever since everyone goes through different things. Those 4 albums don't sounda alike in the slightest, imo. Beyonce employs 85% of the original work, and only pays homage when she is caught. At that, most of what she changes, visually, is the fashion. Much else stays entirely the same as the original. THAT is copying.

So did Madonna copy Marilyn?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CQHIP-38jA

YEA Madonna copied Marilyn. I think that was the goal in that 1 video.

Theres nothing wrong with doing a direct copy of something that inspired you, but all the time? Majority of videos & performances, thats a whole other story

Yep, that's when it becomes a problem.

What actually pissed me off about the Single Ladies video is that people made such a fuss over the fact that she danced the whole time. Like that was an original idea. I just stare at them like "Bitch, have you EVER heard of Rhythm Nation, Janet period, and/or Michael??" :mellow: Then their stupid asses just give a look like "oh..". I could knock their damn heads off. <_<

What actually pissed me off about the Single Ladies video is that people made such a fuss over the fact that she danced the whole time. Like that was an original idea. I just stare at them like "Bitch, have you EVER heard of Rhythm Nation, Janet period, and/or Michael??" :mellow: Then their stupid asses just give a look like "oh..". I could knock their damn heads off. <_<

I think we twins boo, lol.

If there wasn't so much hoopla over the whole "copying" thing, I wouldn't even known about the Bob Fosse parallel. I didn't care for the video at first as it was kinda simple, but once I seen the Bob Fosse vid, I thought it was brilliant. A full out dance video.

There's obvious elements in Beyonce's work, I can see some of the moves. But you can tell they made the steps more extensive, modernized, and incorporated different styles of dance in "Single Ladies".

Well?

And yes, as I see. What's your point? I rarely give Madonna anything as it pertains to creativity, but even she doesn't have most of her career, even at the start, full of copying others.

So did Michael copy?

There's obvious elements in Beyonce's work, I can see some of the moves. But you can tell they made the steps more extensive, modernized, and incorporated different styles of dance in "Single Ladies".

Yeah, there were obvious moves that were identical. But she and the choreographer modernized the whole thing.

So did Michael copy?

Michael always said he learned it, and always gave Jeffery Daniel credit for teaching him (even having him as a co-choreographer on some of his later tours).

I think we twins boo, lol.

We may very well be, babe. :lol:

So did Michael copy?

Nope. Jeffrey taught him how to do it. I think you heard LaToya mention that before as well as Michael saying so. Plus, it's one move. Though Michael is more known for it, majority of his career isn't characterized by copying multiple people.

Well I think that argument of her dancing the whole time is kinda week..we know that people before her had did the same thing..but it was the look and the controversy that made that video too. The camera work in itself to focus on dance wasn't really a big thing anymore. Bey knew what she was doing.

Nope. Jeffrey taught him how to do it. I think you heard LaToya mention that before as well as Michael saying so. Plus, it's one move. Though Michael is more known for it, majority of his career isn't characterized by copying multiple people.

So did Janet copy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWucYbAp8Lk http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgeAUejUZhg&ob=av2e

Archived