Superstars pay tribute to Janet Jackson

SloLove

No it wasn't. "Single Ladies", the video, didn't become popular until December because people were still in favor of "If I Were A Boy". Hence why "Single Ladies" didn't hit its peak until January '09 despite premiering in mid November.

Oh, just like how the only thing in the Bob Fosse and Beyonce video are the triangular dance formation and a few steps? You see your double standard yet?

No double standard at all to be seen. Were they not dancing the entire video?, Was the background not continually the same? Was there not only 3 of them?= COPY

Hell Bey had to give credit for copying that video, its un avoidable. Should Janet give credit for Smooth criminal because both vids were in the 30's or 40s? or because she wore a hat (still not even the same hat MJ did)?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No double standard at all to be seen. Were they not dancing the entire video?, Was the background not continually the same? Was there not only 3 of them?= COPY

Was there not a Jazz era theme in "Smooth Criminal" and "Alright"? Was there not a storyline in both videos? Was there not a dance break within the storyline?= COPY

:cheers: on that one, I mean I HONESTLY with everything I got give Bey credit that for me its a very entertaining video, but direct copies make me deduct ALOT of points/respect, period. Even when I love it and its executed perfectly, I will lose respect for it (unless its purposely a joke, I mean I love parodies so I give those a full pass)

Exactly :cheers:

As if you knew who the hell Bob Fosse/Mexican Breakfast was before "Single Ladies" premiered. Hunie, STAWP. :lmao:

Hun, I dance. I've seen videos of a myriad of choreographers and dancers. Including Bob Fosse and his wife. Well, wives. Bey didn't introduce me to Bob, so you can stop there :thumbup:

As if you knew who the hell Bob Fosse/Mexican Breakfast was before "Single Ladies" premiered. Hunie, STAWP. :lmao:

Now, if I knew about that video before "SL", I think my view would have changed. But honestly, it made me like Bey's video..Just imagine if Bey didn't say where she copied was influenced by the vid.. :whistle:

Was there not a Jazz era theme in "Smooth Criminal" and "Alright"? Was there not a storyline in both videos? Was there not a dance break within the storyline?= COPY

What you are saying is copying are some of the most generic coincidences in the videos. Bey copied details and that can't be denied.

I did. I actually saw it before Single Ladies dropped. I LOVED it and still do. Then when I realized that Bey had really just remade it, it really turned me off. I just have a complex with seeing certain things remade. And with her, I'd seen way too much copying from artists I adore to really embrace that video as anything more than more copying.

I see your point. But the people who didn't know anything about that video and realized that was Bey's influence may have a different view. You best believe that once she said she was influenced by that video, everyone ran to youtube to see what she was talking about. Both parties benefitted from it.

I see your point. But the people who didn't know anything about that video and realized that was Bey's influence may have a different view. You best believe that once she said she was influenced by that video, everyone ran to youtube to see what she was talking about. Both parties benefitted from it.

Very true. She did bring a demographic of people into knowledge of Bob Fosse via his wife. Which is good because Bob Fosse is a damn genius. I just wish she made the video more of her own. Or at least took a different direction.

1st question= NOPE

2nd question= HELLLLL NO LOFL @ was there a storyline, come on now. You really cant be serious. Were the story lines in ANY way similar? MJ was in a club full of gangsters avoiding the bad guy hunting him down, Janet was going around town to get tickets to a show, then its revealed that its her dream..................not seeing these similarities yet, you gone have to point them out to me

3rd Yup but how much of the dance moves were similar even in the smallest way during the dance break. I missed Janets lean in that video, or her sliding.

Once again, Bey did a direct copy, Smooth Criminal & alright are barely 10% the same.

Now you answer my questions please :)

What you are saying is copying are some of the most generic coincidences in the videos. Bey copied details and that can't be denied.

It's the same pretenses of the argument.

1st question= NOPE

They're both set in the same time frame. Stop.

2nd question= HELLLLL NO LOFL @ was there a storyline, come on now. You really cant be serious. Were the story lines in ANY way similar? MJ was in a club full of gangsters avoiding the bad guy hunting him down, Janet was going around town to get tickets to a show, then its revealed that its her dream..................not seeing these similarities yet, you gone have to point them out to me

Reaching. There was a storyline in both videos, regardless of whether or not the storyline was the same.

3rd Yup but how much of the dance moves were similar even in the smallest way during the dance break. I missed Janets lean in that video, or her sliding.

Thank you.

Once again, Bey did a direct copy, Smooth Criminal & alright are barely 10% the same.

Now you answer my questions please :)

Did "Mexican Breakfast" feature extensive dance steps? Did "Mexican Breakfast" feature 5 different takes? Did "Mexican Breakfast" feature J-Setting? See how this works both ways? For every similarity you can find, I can find a difference.

Very true. She did bring a demographic of people into knowledge of Bob Fosse via his wife. Which is good because Bob Fosse is a damn genius. I just wish she made the video more of her own. Or at least took a different direction.

What she wanted was that fixation on her and the dancers. Just like the Bob Fosse video..I just finished watching it and you can't take your eyes off of them. That's what Beyonce wanted..and it worked..regardless of the obvious dance moves she jacked. The premise of the whole situation was to keep you hooked.

I just wish she made the video more of her own. Or at least took a different direction.

Chille I gave up on that wish along with my fan card at the end of 08. Because I was a fan of hers for 9 whole years (a year before I was a fan of Janets) I'll always leave room for her to come back if she does get some good substance & originality & just all out change. Its like I told someone, every era for her, I'll download (not pay for ofcourse) that 1st song, I'll watch that video premiere, and I'll watch that 1st live performance, giving her her chance to pull me back..............Run the world said I was fine LOL, I'll wait for 5 ;)

Not necessarily. A storyline and a dance break can be used in so many different ways that it would be ridiculous to say because a video has these elements alone that they copy each other. The only things legitimately common with Smooth Criminal and Alright is the 30s/40s theme. No more.

What she wanted was that fixation on her and the dancers. Just like the Bob Fosse video..I just finished watching it and you can't take your eyes off of them. That's what Beyonce wanted..and it worked..regardless of the obvious dance moves she jacked. The premise of the whole situation was to keep you hooked.

Good point. But imo, strictly, the cons outweigh the pros. But to each his own.

Chille I gave up on that wish along with my fan card at the end of 08. Because I was a fan of hers for 9 whole years (a year before I was a fan of Janets) I'll always leave room for her to come back if she does get some good substance & originality & just all out change. Its like I told someone, every era for her, I'll download (not pay for ofcourse) that 1st song, I'll watch that video premiere, and I'll watch that 1st live performance, giving her her chance to pull me back..............Run the world said I was fine LOL, I'll wait for 5 ;)

She's 2-2 with me. DIL and 4 I love, B'Day and IASF I hate. It all depends on this next era as to whether or not she can make me a fan. I've always been insanely picky with who I call myself a fan of. Even more with who I stan for. She can make a fan out of me if 5th era holds, but I will never and I mean NEVER be a stan. My loyalties in that department lie with Janet, Michael and Stevie.

They're both set in the same time frame. Stop.

Reaching. There was a storyline in both videos, regardless of whether or not the storyline was the same.

Thank you.

Did "Mexican Breakfast" feature extensive dance steps? Did "Mexican Breakfast" feature 5 different takes? Did "Mexican Breakfast" feature J-Setting? See how this works both ways? For every similarity you can find, I can find a difference.

LOFL WAY TO FUNNY, Im honestly not getting how 2 videos with storylines= their copying? Elaborate please.

bottom line, 3 female dancers, 1 continuous looking shot. IT CANT COMPARE. even the smallest similarities to Smooth Criminal & Alright dont even halfway equal the major unavoidable similarities about Mexican Breakfast & Single ladies

Not necessarily. A storyline and a dance break can be used in so many different ways that it would be ridiculous to say because a video has these elements alone that they copy each other. The only things legitimately common with Smooth Criminal and Alright is the 30s/40s theme. No more.

LOFL WAY TO FUNNY, Im honestly not getting how 2 videos with storylines= their copying? Elaborate please.

You two don't get it. :lol: You're picking out [trivial] similarities between Fosse and Beyonce and calling it copying. I picked out similarities between SC and Alright and called it copying. If you don't see what I'm getting at, then there's a HUGE disconnect here.

And funny how Jarry didn't have a response to my post about Madonna copying all throughout her career, and even being sued for it. I wonder why.....

Good point. But imo, strictly, the cons outweigh the pros. But to each his own.

She's 2-2 with me. DIL and 4 I love, B'Day and IASF I hate. It all depends on this next era as to whether or not she can make me a fan. I've always been insanely picky with who I call myself a fan of. Even more with who I stan for. She can make a fan out of me if 5th era holds, but I will never and I mean NEVER be a stan. My loyalties in that department lie with Janet, Michael and Stevie.

Yea in 09 when I started really appreciating quality, I did a clean house on who I considered myself a fan of. I love DIL, I like Bey Day but the songs mean nothing without the vids for me, but yea I find IAM & 4 garbage. But like I said 5th era is wide open for her tryout. and yea the cons about her and her music and performances outweighed my pros for her too.

You two don't get it. :lol: You're picking out [trivial] similarities between Fosse and Beyonce and calling it copying. I picked out similarities between SC and Alright and called it copying. If you don't see what I'm getting at, then there's a HUGE disconnect here.

The difference is, you see much more that can be called copying between Fosse and Bey than you can between Mike and Jan. MUCH more. It's like 80% with the former and 10% percent with the latter. My point concerns how much an artist copies and over how much time. Not if they ever copy a day in their career.

Archived