Janets Documentary Watch It Live

Idrag4mj

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

u forgot 2 mention that Beyonce has been called out/sued numerous times by the REAL songwriters of her songs......that has NEVER-EVER happened 2 Janet ! :whistle:

Beyonce: She Didn't Write The Songs

Vanity Fair finally puts a solo African-American on its cover, and doesn’t do any fact checking.

Beyonce Knowles, who’s full of sass and has a striking voice, actually thinks she’s a songwriter. She says so in the new Vanity Fair.

In fact, Beyonce did not write her big hit "Crazy in Love," or even conceive of it. "Crazy in Love" — its horns, percussion, chief melody and overall "feel" — was written by the late and very great Eugene Record of the Chi-Lites (he died this summer). The group recorded and released it in 1969 as "Are You My Woman (Tell Me So)."

Indeed, the person who sought out the track was hip-hop producer Rich Harrison. He’s the go-to guy when you need to sample something obscure because you can’t write your own music.

He told MTV.com in February 2004 that he’d had the sample for some time, long before Beyonce knew about it.

"Yeah, I had it in the chamber," he told the Web site. "I hadn't really shopped it much, because sometimes you don't want to come out of the bag before it's right."

Harrison then brought Jay-Z in to add a rap. The result was such a success that Harrison would later adapt the horn section from the Chi-Lites' record for similar records he produced for pop singers Amerie and Jennifer Lopez.

The Vanity Fair article, however, makes it seem like Beyonce is a genius songwriter who came up with all this stuff. Knowles says, without her veracity being questioned: "'Crazy in Love' was really hard to write because there was so much going on … I mean, I had written — what? —seven, eight number one songs with Destiny's Child, in a row." Of Jay-Z's added rap: "I knew the song wasn’t complete because the horns were so old school…"

There, she is correct. The horns were old school. They were charted 36 years ago by Record, who also wrote "Have You Seen Her?," "Oh Girl," "Am I The Same Girl?" and many other classic R&B hits. Unfortunately, he’s no longer here to defend himself.

In the Vanity Fair article, Beyonce also claims to have “written” seven No. 1 songs. Again, not exactly. Her name is on them all. But “Independent Woman, Pt. 1” was authored by Samuel J. Barnes and Jean Claude Olivier, tweaked by producer Cory Rooney and added to by …Beyonce. Olivier and Barnes also worked on constructing Jennifer Lopez’s “Jenny from the Block.”

“Say My Name,” a big Destiny’s Child hit, was written by Rodney Jerkins, his brother Freddie and Rodney’s writing partner LeShawn Daniels. The names of the four girls from the group were added again, so they could share in the collection of royalties.

There’s more: "Baby Boy" was based on a hit by reggae star Ini Kamoze called "Here Comes the Hot Stepper." "Naughty Girl" is merely a hefty sample of Donna Summer and Giorgio Moroder’s "Love to Love You Baby." "Bills Bills Bills" was written by singer/songwriter Kandi Burruss and producer Kevin Briggs. "Nasty Girl" and "Survivor" were the work of composer/producer Anthony Dent, who had to share credit with not only Beyonce but also her father, Matthew Knowles. "Bootylicious" is simply Stevie Nicks’s "Edge of Seventeen."

Nicks, following Sting’s lead from years ago with Diddy’s sample of "Every Breath You Take," did not allow Destiny’s Child or Beyonce to get any royalties at all. Rock on, Stevie!

In fact, not one of the songs listed under Beyonce’s name on the BMI Web site is written solely by her. They are usually credited to a list of songwriters. The list comprises the actual writers, and then a few people who’ve "tweaked" the song with a rap or by adding samples.

But this is the way it’s done in hip-hop and rap. "Writing" a song has new meaning. It means "licensing" the song from another writer. The word "composer" is not in the hip-hop dictionary.

This can make for a peculiar situation at the Grammy Awards. In 2000, Jerkins and his writing team had to share the Grammy for Best R&B Song for “Say My Name” with the members of Destiny’s Child because their names were on the credits.

In 2003, Beyonce, Harrison and Jay-Z won a couple of Grammys including Best R&B Song for “Crazy in Love.” Record’s name isn’t even listed on the Grammy Web site and he was the writer. Hopefully his widow is getting checks.

Over the weekend I discussed this phenomenon with a famous songwriter concerning rapper Nelly, whose albums — like Kanye West’s — are made up of samples of previous works. I thought they’d find the whole thing deplorable. Not so.

"Really?" they said, realizing the revenue that could be realized. "I’ll send him my whole catalogue for his next one!"

:filenails: :filenails: :filenails: :filenails:

She didn't write DJ, TBMX, GIOM, LYDLM, STWY, COM, DI2M, SM, SEX, WU, and TB, which are half the damn albums dummy.

And regardless of whatever pronoun she uses, she is still correct in saying she wrote the songs, just like Janet said she wrote all the lyrics and melodies on the janet. album, yet Jimmy and Terry's name are right slap there in the credits.

Think before you post silly rabbit.

Where is your fucking proof she didn't write any of the songs I crossed out???

Did you speak to Jimmy, Terry, or maybe JD told you..

Mrs. Know it all that doesn't really know it all is at it again ...

Where is your fucking proof she didn't write any of the songs I crossed out???

Did you speak to Jimmy, Terry, or maybe JD told you..

Mrs. Know it all that doesn't really know it all is at it again ...

http://www.ascap.com/ace/search.cfm?requesttimeout=300&mode=results&searchstr=JANET%20JACKSON&search_in=a&search_type=exact&search_det=t,s,w,p,b,v&results_pp=25&start=1

ASCAP > You

Anything else?

btw, u may wanna get janet's wiki page cleaned up for falsehood (since ur so hellbent on people keeping it real and speaking truths)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don't_Stand_Another_Chance

:mellow: :mellow:

What is there to clear up, they listed what was on the cd booklet.

And none of those people listed as writers came back and said Janet was lying compared to Beyonce..

:mellow: :mellow:

What is there to clear up, they listed what was on the cd booklet.

And none of those people listed as writers came back and said Janet was lying compared to Beyonce..

wiki page says the song is written by Janet, which is not true, and u said that in ur posts above

You do realize that was on Dream Street where Janet wasn't listed as a writer on any of the songs.. :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

wiki page says the song is written by Janet, which is not true, and u said that in ur posts above

Marlon Jackson wrote the song.. Janet's name is not listed on any of the songs..

Track listing

Standard/Vinyl/CD/Cassette/MP3 download

No. Title Writer(s) Producer(s) Length

1. "Don't Stand Another Chance" Marlon Jackson, John Barnes M. Jackson 4:14

2. "Two to the Power of Love" Peter Beckett, Steven A. Kipner Giorgio Moroder, Bellotte 3:06

3. "Pretty Boy" Jesse Johnson Johnson 6:32

4. "Dream Street" Moroder, Bellotte Bobby Watson, Moore, Winbush 3:52

5. "Communication" Paul Bliss Moroder, Bellotte 3:12

6. "Fast Girls" Johnson Johnson 3:18

7. "Hold Back the Tears" Chris Eaton Moroder, Bellotte 3:14

8. "All My Love to You" Marlon Jackson, Anthony Patler M. Jackson 5:44

9. "If It Takes All Night" David A. Bryant, Jay Gruska Moroder, Bellotte 4:09

I don't know. After watching the documentary, I think it might be awhile before we get an album. She seems happy at where she is in life right now. If we do get an album, I'd really like a thematic one because that's where she excels the most.

Exactly how I feel. After watching this documentary, I'm not sure if I even want another Janet album if she doesn't have the real passion for it. I'm not in the mood for another All For You retread. I'd rather her be happy exploring new things.

Archived