To all the Aussie, Brit, and other non Americans out there...

LyricalLesson

How good is your American accent? :lol:

I can do a decent British accent, a slightly unsatisfactory Australian accent, a halfway decent Russian accent, and an okay Italian accent. :asham:

I'm asking this because it seems like people from other countries can do American accents better versus the opposite. I've been fooled so many times thinking that some foreign actor doing an American accent in a movie wasn't actually American: Colin Farrell, Thandie Newton, Christian Bale, Lucy Lawless, Idris Elba, Hugh Laurie, etc. Movies I've seen where an American actor does a foreign accent, I can almost always see through it.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PS I hate when Americans try doing a British accent and some out 'alright guvna' :rolleyes:. No one EVER says 'guvna'.

That line is from a movie, right? I swear I've never seen it, and people be sayin it all the time. :unsure:

Ive fooled a few people in department stores...some friends and I used to act like we were British foreign exchange students at the mall, people would ask where I was from and I'd say Leeds :lmao: even though it was far from a Leeds accent :asham:! But whatever, Americans don't know that haha.

We were an American colony during the mid-1900s so American English and accent is the standard here. Sometimes though our accent gets too "hard"/"stiff" but that's because of Spanish influence (conquerors for 300 years prior to Americans).

That's interesting...

:unsure: Where is it that you live? Somewhere in Central America?

Oh! I had no idea you guys spoke with a standard American accent over there in the Philippines, that's cool. Do you speak another language as well? I have a friend who is half filipino and she was tryin to teach me Tagalog :lol: I just couldn't grasp it.

The English we use are very American - spelling (color vs colour, kilometer vs kilometre), metric system, your pop music would more likely to be our definition of pop as well, and just terminilogies in general (elevator vs lift) so it doesn't come as surprise if you hear us speak English in American accent. Americans were the country's last conquerors so their influence is arguably much more visible than Spanish or Chinese or Japanese. And yup, English and Tagalog are our official languages. People here sometimes use mix of both in conversation. Tagalog has words that are almost similar with their counterpart in Spanish. I am always told by non-Filipinos that Tagalog sounds funny to them. I can see why. :lol:

The UK has the biggest veriety of dialects of English and accent changes in comparison to its size - so there is no such thing as a "British accent".

Someone from Manchester for example nothing like someone from Birmingham and the sound nothing like someone from London. And then there are various Scottish accents and dialects, And Welsh too all of which are completely different :)

The UK has the biggest veriety of dialects of English and accent changes in comparison to its size - so there is no such thing as a "British accent".

Someone from Manchester for example nothing like someone from Birmingham and the sound nothing like someone from London. And then there are various Scottish accents and dialects, And Welsh too all of which are completely different :)

It's crazy isn't it Paul. Sometimes it feels like the accent is different between naaarth and Sarfff Landan bruv ! lol In Manchester they say "Yuh kno watta mean" and "Yuh alrahhht luv" "You wanna brew" ( although I don't talk like that :mellow: ) Liverpool is AWFUL :mellow: ... like seriously, where in the HELL did that accent come from. The UK is crazy with the accents. You can literally drive 30 minutes between 2 towns and the accent is just completely different. Americans always seem to think we talk the queens English lool

I remember when you made fun of me saying 'brolly' <_<:lol:

It's crazy isn't it Paul. Sometimes it feels like the accent is different between naaarth and Sarfff Landan bruv ! lol In Manchester they say "Yuh kno watta mean" and "Yuh alrahhht luv" "You wanna brew" ( although I don't talk like that :mellow: ) Liverpool is AWFUL :mellow: ... like seriously, where in the HELL did that accent come from. The UK is crazy with the accents. You can literally drive 30 minutes between 2 towns and the accent is just completely different. Americans always seem to think we talk the queens English lool

:lmao:!! I "accidently" slip into that kind of accent throughout the day and then go back to being rather 'posh'. I think the Geordie accent is the worst...HATE the way they speak.

Lol @ brolly!!!

You guys are both form manchester aren't you?

Even within London there are different accents, especially once you get out towards Essex lmao!

I think Americans think we all either sound cockney or like the queen lol.

:lmao:

Yeah we are :)

I've noticed that with London tbh. LOL at Essex - I actually fell in love with their accent thanks to Amy Childs :lol:

Thats what annoys me about American TV shows that have a British character - the accent is always so unbelievable.

I guess this is the reason why I can understand some patients with "British accent's" and I need interpreters for others. It should take me 10 minutes to do assessments but it takes me about an hour with some people with at "strong british accent"...And some Australians....You can just forget it.

I guess this is the reason why I can understand some patients with "British accent's" and I need interpreters for others. It should take me 10 minutes to do assessments but it takes me about an hour with some people with at "strong british accent"...And some Australians....You can just forget it.

There are some accents over here that I have no clue at all what they are talking about, I might catch one word in every 5 lol.

I can understand most American accents I've heard, I think the hardest for me is the way some of those old white people from the deep south speak lol

There are some accents over here that I have no clue at all what they are talking about, I might catch one word in every 5 lol.

I can understand most American accents I've heard, I think the hardest for me is the way some of those old white people from the deep south speak lol

LMAO!!! That reminds me of a time a couple from the south came to my area for vacation. They had a granddaughter with them...Her name was Anita Cruz...I thought they were saying "I NEED A CRUISE"....I was like WTF? This girl is sick and they are worried about going on a cruise? :mellow::lmao:

I hate the expression 'brolly' :rolleyes: Like where did that even come from? That and 'snog' :& *shudders*

I do a pretty good American accent I think, though I have no idea which part of America it sounds like :asham: I can do Noo Joisey and some Southern dialects :asham:

Archived