What TRULY makes a great vocalist (in your opinion)

janetDAYZ

Lets use Jhud and Beyonce as examples..

I've noticed when it comes to comparing these two in particular...

-Some ppl believe Jhud is the BETTER vocalist because she's louder and has a more overall POWERHOUSE voice that will drawn Beyonce out,effortlessly.

-Some believe Beyonce is a BETTER vocalist because her versatility (voicewise) is exceptional.She's able to showcase skills and execute them,effortlessly.

I,personally ..would say Beyonce is a better vocalist because I feel vocal acrobatics plays a MAJOR factor in "great singing". If you're able to do something MOST singers can't do than it(w/o a question) puts you at higher ranks in my opinion

So how do YOU measure what great singing is?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

u pretty much summed it up. Howvever, I find that neither JHud nor, Beyonce have had truly GREAT songs...I loved Dangerously in Love. I haven't heard anything catchy with JHud...But she has a beautiful, and powerful voice.

Beyonce has a couple of great songs. "Irreplaceable" is startling. J Hud has "Spotlight"...

As far as a great singer Mr Dayz...I think it begins with tone and ends with range. Aaliyah has more emotion in a song like "Al Your Best" than Beyonce when she is screaming in "Dangerously in Love" :dance:

Beyonce has a couple of great songs. "Irreplaceable" is startling. J Hud has "Spotlight"...

As far as a great singer Mr Dayz...I think it begins with tone and ends with range. Aaliyah has more emotion in a song like "Al Your Best" than Beyonce when she is screaming in "Dangerously in Love" :dance:

Buy you're basing ur opinion ooff of what a song "calls for" as oppose to the technique,skills,and abilities of thie voices

u pretty much summed it up. Howvever, I find that neither JHud nor, Beyonce have had truly GREAT songs...I loved Dangerously in Love. I haven't heard anything catchy with JHud...But she has a beautiful, and powerful voice.

I speaking more in terms of LIVE vocals....it has less to do with their songs and moreso their voice.

Beyonce never pull it off like Aaliyah and furthermore I don't have opinions...I have facts and you know this. <_<

Alot of ppl on here have said Bee doesn't have a soulful voice (which I agree) but are you saying emotion and conviction is what makes a better singer,solely? Wouldn't you say its more than just THAT factor?

How would you rate janet's nothing performance vocal on Idol? :blush:

Whether it was live or not...It was good (for her). I've always thought even tho she's not a SANGER..when it comes to singing her ballads she is indeed CONSISTENT.Also,I will say I kinda agree with B.Slade aka Tonex..about she could be even BETTER if she really stretched and challenged herself. But Janet seems to be comfortable with where's shes at vocally.

Aaliyah has more emotion in a song like "Al Your Best" than Beyonce when she is screaming in "Dangerously in Love" :dance:

That is the difference between a vocalist and a SONGSTRESS. A vocalist can have a good voice, but a songstress can tell a great story with their voice. I prefer a songstress.

That is the difference between a vocalist and a SONGSTRESS. A vocalist can have a good voice, but a songstress can tell a great story with their voice. I prefer a songstress.

That's why I prefer neo soul singers such as Jill, Erykah and floetry..Those chicks know how to bring some emotion into a song..

Same thing with Janet, she doesn'thave the strongest voice but the emotion in her songs is breath taking.. :blush:

I wouldn't necessarily say its a BIG part because long as you get across what the song is tryna convey then you've hit a home run. Like When Beyonce sings "Dangerously In Love" you do get wrapped into the song what she's singing about.

Not really...The song is about the vocal acrobetics more than making you believe the song. The lyrics are corny, and she doesn't give it the emotion to make you believe her. You walk away saying the girl can sing, not that was a beautiful song. "Lets Wait Awhile" on the other hand you say "What a beautiful song"...You believe her in that song. "Dangerously in Love" you don't believe. "Irreplaceable" however is believable,.

I wouldn't necessarily say its a BIG part because long as you get across what the song is tryna convey then you've hit a home run. Like When Beyonce sings "Dangerously In Love" you do get wrapped into the song what she's singing about.

Sometimes with Beyonce her emotion seems forced and fake.. I felt her on Danergously in Love at the Diva show.. Any other time it seemed forced...

Not really...The song is about the vocal acrobetics more than making you believe the song. The lyrics are corny, and she doesn't give it the emotion to make you believe her. You walk away saying the girl can sing, not that was a beautiful song. "Lets Wait Awhile" on the other hand you say "What a beautiful song"...You believe her in that song. "Dangerously in Love" you don't believe. "Irreplaceable" however is believable,.

I don't think that song is a good example..

When she sings Listen I don't feel shit.. It's almost like she did the song because J hud had And I am telling you..

I don't think that song is a good example..

When she sings Listen I don't feel shit.. It's almost like she did the song because J hud had And I am telling you..

You don't believe "Irreplaceable"? On Beyonce's hood rat sassy song I say she is the most believable. I believed listen more than dangerously in love

Hmm...thats funny because most ppl I know have given her praise on her live vocal of DIL. That was the song she would perform gearing up to the release of her debut. Her BEST vocal of that song was 03'VH1's Divas Live.She shut the place down and made you forget about EVERY OTHER BITCH THAT NITE (including Whitney). Irreplaceable does have a bit more emotion I agree..

Sometimes with Beyonce her emotion seems forced and fake.. I felt her on Danergously in Love at the Diva show.. Any other time it seemed forced...

I agree with EVERY SINGLE WORD ..I just told Nuk her best was on Diva's Live before I even seen ur post ...She sang the HELL OUTTA THAT SONG that nite ...

Being a vocalist has nothing to do with emotion and that other nonsense. A vocalist is all about technique, knowing your voice, and using it to the best of your ability.

Vocalist - Impressive

Singer - Expressive

As Nuk stated, with vocalists, you walk away saying "he/she can really sing." They impress you with their voices, and is often their selling point a la Whitney. What makes a vocalist great is a person who knows their voice and has excellent technique. It's nearly impossible to have a perfect voice, just as it is nearly impossible to always have perfect pitch.

With that said, you bitches will not give Beysus too much as she is the greatest vocalist of this generation. :rolleyes: