So this is causing a stir on FB

CalQuin

Im great at math, love to brag since getting an A in calculus back in my undergrad, according to math rules the first thing to be done is the portion in parentheses as it is the first in the order of operations the answer there is 3, the next portion to be done is the division outside of the parentheses, the answer should be 6/6 which is 1, although that question is not exactly challenging.

9. The problem is that if you put it in a calculator, it'll make it 1.

These are the steps:

6÷2(1+2)

First step is to add 1 and 2 which is 3.

6÷2(3)

Then multiply the 2 and 3 which is 6.

6÷6

Now you may divide 6 and 6 to get the answer of 1.

• Upvote 1

There's no real clear answer. If you do PEMDAS, the answer is 1. But if you use PEMDAS and go by tradition working the equation left to right, you get 9.

you cannot work the equation left to right because the portion in parentheses demands you address it first in calculations, this question is not about do you know basic math, this question is do you know the order of operations, as in what is done first? which dictates the rest of the question.

you cannot work the equation left to right because the portion in parentheses demands you address it first in calculations, this question is not about do you know basic math, this question is do you know the order of operations, as in what is done first? which dictates the rest of the question.

You are correct, but after you do the math in the parenthesis, they turn into multiplication and you have to start from the left.

most folks here either have common sense, education or both.... :whistle:most

I have both and the math experience to prove it

8th grade: Algebra 1

9th grade: Geometry

10th grade: Algebra 2

11th grade: Trigonometry/Pre-Calculus

12th grade: Calculus (college credit)

I have both and the math experience to prove it

8th grade: Algebra 1

9th grade: Geometry

10th grade: Algebra 2

11th grade: Trigonometry/Pre-Calculus

12th grade: Calculus (college credit)

I have all that, and then some, I'm asking you do you believe the answer is 9? If so no offense cause you cool and all but that's not the answer, if it was that easy it would never have made FB, it's a tricky question if you don't know what you're doing.

I have all that, and then some, I'm asking you do you believe the answer is 9? If so no offense cause you cool and all but that's not the answer, if it was that easy it would never have made FB, it's a tricky question if you don't know what you're doing.

Great. This isn't a new question. I know this was posted as far back as last year and the general consensus was 9 was the correct answer. This was on a Physics forum by math professors

Your interpretation of the problem is this:

6/[2(1+2)]=?

You're adding brackets there that don't exist

Great. This isn't a new question. I know this was posted as far back as last year and the general consensus was 9 was the correct answer. This was on a Physics forum by math professors

6/[2(1+2)]=?

something is NOT right, having been in academia as long as I have, the question is poorly written, I do know without question the portion in parentheses is to be addressed first, after that it's A tad confusing.

6/[2(1+2)]=?

No it's multiply before you divide... The answer is 1