So this is causing a stir on FB

CalQuin

something is NOT right, having been in academia as long as I have, the question is poorly written, I do know without question the portion in parentheses is to be addressed first, after that it's A tad confusing.

I completely agree with you. The person who wrote the equation wrote it poorly, but at the end of the day, you have to follow the rules

I completely agree with you. The person who wrote the equation wrote it poorly, but at the end of the day, you have to follow the rules

wrote it poorly? :blink: it is written just fine... just because you can't solve it doesn't mean it's written poorly

PEMDAS

Parentheses

Exponents

Multip

Division

Adding

Subtraction

notice it's never PEDMAS :blink: you can't switch it around

if you follow PEMDAS the answer is 1... PEMDAS is what is still being currently used by everyone.

wrote it poorly? :blink: it is written just fine... just because you can't solve it doesn't mean it's written poorly

PEMDAS

Parentheses

Exponents

Multip

Division /

Adding

Subtraction

if you follow PEMDAS the answer is 1... PEMDAS is what is still being currently used

Game sometimes I swear------------------------>bitch.gif

please solve that problem I posted without the use of PEMDAS

Multiplication doesn't always have to come before division. They are on equal footing, so you do which ever comes first. The problem you posted has brackets showing that one sum is a function of another.

you cannot work the equation left to right because the portion in parentheses demands you address it first in calculations, this question is not about do you know basic math, this question is do you know the order of operations, as in what is done first? which dictates the rest of the question.

But once you complete what's in the parenthesis, don't you go from left to right? :unsure:

But once you complete what's in the parenthesis, don't you go from left to right? :unsure:

to me this would be left to right

6 ÷ 2 x (1 + 2)

but having 2(1 + 2) signifies to me that 2 must be multiplied first cus it's 'attached' to the paranthesis :unsure:

But what do I know, I am just a stupid right brained art boy -_-