New Janet/Jimmy/Terry Documentary..?!

Dal

Beyonce has excellent vocal technique but she's never been hailed as a great vocalist. She's never been up there when it came to being known as a great vocalist. You got Whitney, Mariah, Celine, Barbara, Patti, Aretha, Toni, and some of the newer girls like Christina, Fantasia, Jennifer Hudson, Kelly Clarkson and even Ariana is praised for her vocals.

I've seen different in regard to Beyoncé. The biggest thing IVE seen personally is that she can blow and perform. That's kinda the general consensus about her. 

As far as Janet when does everyone feel Janet was at her vocal peak?

I've seen different in regard to Beyoncé. The biggest thing IVE seen personally is that she can blow and perform. That's kinda the general consensus about her. 

Joe is biased. Beyonce is a better vocalist than 90% of the people he named. 

Janet doesn’t have a peak like Mariah or Whitney. It depends on the song honestly. Vocally, I prefer her latest songs but her songs (the ballads) were better as a whole in her early/mid career

Edited by State of the Game
  • Upvote 2

Joe is biased. Beyonce is a better vocalist than 90% of the people he named. 

Janet doesn’t have a peak like Mariah or Whitney. It depends on the song honestly. Vocally, I prefer her latest songs but her songs (the ballads) were better as a whole in her early/mid career

Janet's maturity is ok she doesn't sound bad but to me her voice was at its best during DOAD - Velvet Rope. I agree her ballads were better in her early days & I think that has something to do with how they've been crafting her ballads & her vocal changes. 

I think she still has a strong & great ballad in her but it might take a push & new set of assistance like they reached out to others for UB. 

Janet's maturity is ok she doesn't sound bad but to me her voice was at its best during DOAD - Velvet Rope. I agree her ballads were better in her early days & I think that has something to do with how they've been crafting her ballads & her vocal changes. 

I think she still has a strong & great ballad in her but it might take a push & new set of assistance like they reached out to others for UB. 

I agree with your assessment. But AYF is weak.. not vocally or lyrically but the instrumental is weak but good. Idk that song is such a drag and is missing pizzazz 

Only Terry/Jimmy should be producing her music. Discipline and the first two albums are evidence

I agree with your assessment. But AYF is weak.. not vocally or lyrically but the instrumental is weak but good. Idk that song is such a drag and is missing pizzazz 

Only Terry/Jimmy should be producing her music. Discipline and the first two albums are evidence

She has had good music that never made the light of day with other producers. Pharrell & Rich Harrison for example. I also think Thinking About My Ex was a great track with Babyface. So we'll agree to disagree. 

I think Jimmy & Terry should be the foundation but they can use some input & they did on UB. Whether it be the perfect sample or a remake she has the potential to do another ballad. 

AYF was vocally weak. Lyrically strong, the music not so bad just vocally a snooze. Maybe it was too slow but I think it wasn't so much as the music as it was the drawn out & pitchy vocals. 

I feel like there's so much more that could be explored, this was a take on her recording, and thats awesome, it really delved into the creative process, I feel like after AFY there was less material that got explored. With someone like Janet and a catalog like hers, its better to split it into parts

She has had good music that never made the light of day with other producers. Pharrell & Rich Harrison for example. I also think Thinking About My Ex was a great track with Babyface. So we'll agree to disagree. 

I think Jimmy & Terry should be the foundation but they can use some input & they did on UB. Whether it be the perfect sample or a remake she has the potential to do another ballad. 

AYF was vocally weak. Lyrically strong, the music not so bad just vocally a snooze. Maybe it was too slow but I think it wasn't so much as the music as it was the drawn out & pitchy vocals. 

We don’t know those tracks so you can’t assess them and Rich is horrible with Janet. Janet didn’t write TBMX so it is IMO as good as Love & my Best friend

Yes on input.. like Rockwilder and Dem Jointz. “No” on a Damita Jo part 2 (bunch of producers and writers; Jimmy/Terry co-producing most of it. The album wasn’t sonically in-sync. 

I thought Janet sounded great on AYF (before Jimmy said something) but again.. it’s missing something. IDK I was hoping for a big finish with a “high” note or something. Maybe church choir.. idk. 

Take Care is classic Janet btw. I forgot to mention that. It’s such a beautiful song and vocal perfection. Ugh 

As far as Lesson Learned and Promise of You goes... Promise of You is the better of the three ballads BUT that’s not saying much. Lesson Learned is so skippable to me and idk why. Unrelatable perhaps

I don't think everything she does is MJ related. But I believe a lot of songs on Unbreakable are somehow inspired by him because it's the first album after his death and she loved him very much.

Some people do. Dal is one of those people. 

I don’t hear MJ-inspired songs on Unbreakable. I hear Classic Janet with MJ being a subject of a song or two... not necessarily a direct inspiration (although I’m sure she was inspired by him is some form)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Of course she can blow. We all know that but like i've said you've never seen her praised for her vocals by mainstream media. They talk about how good of a performer she is not about her being a vocalist and if so it's not much. She never even made it on Rolling Stone's 100 greatest singers of all time but Mariah, Whitney, and Christina all have. Let's see here Whitney was known as "The Voice", Mariah was known as "The Songbird" and Christina was known as "The Voice of this Generation" and Beyonce known as Queen Bey and a great performer (not in my opinion though). There's nothing unique about her voice. That's what i'm trying to say. Her vocals aren't capable of doing what the other girls vocals do. Janet's vocal peak was 98-2001. I could tell during the HBO Hawaii show when she sang "Again" that her vocals were starting to wane because it was not even close to what she did on TVR tour. I was actually a little disappointed but then again I still love her voice. It's so calming and easy to listen too even when she sings in higher pitches like "All For You"

Edited by JoeJoe
  • Upvote 1

We don’t know those tracks so you can’t assess them and Rich is horrible with Janet. Janet didn’t write TBMX so it is IMO as good as Love & my Best friend

We do know those songs. Pharrell did Ruff if I'm not mistaken. Rich is excellent with Janet I love What Can I Say. 

Janet did not actually WRITE on Control she inspired lyrics. Janet didn't write Pleasure Principle. There's many songs in Janet's career that she did not really WRITE that she got writer credit on Jimmy was very clear about that on his interview with Questlove on Pandora. 

Take Care is an excellent song, Promise of You is like a conscious The Body That Loves You & I love that song. Lessons Learned is an excellent song to me. 

Nonetheless, I've always thought Damita Jo was a good album so that's where we'll disagree. Despite the extra cooks in the kitchen. 

Some people do. Dal is one of those people. 

I don’t hear MJ-inspired songs on Unbreakable. I hear Classic Janet with MJ being a subject of a song or two... not necessarily a direct inspiration (although I’m sure she was inspired by him is some form)

that's categorically false that I believe "everything she does is MJ related"... Norm, you've been proven wrong about Janet twice in just the past few days, regarding topics you've fiercely debated for years.. maybe check your fan card at the door........or, at the very least, your arrogance...and stfu

• Upvote 4

We do know those songs. Pharrell did Ruff if I'm not mistaken. Rich is excellent with Janet I love What Can I Say. 

Janet did not actually WRITE on Control she inspired lyrics. Janet didn't write Pleasure Principle. There's many songs in Janet's career that she did not really WRITE that she got writer credit on Jimmy was very clear about that on his interview with Questlove on Pandora. 

Take Care is an excellent song, Promise of You is like a conscious The Body That Loves You & I love that song. Lessons Learned is an excellent song to me. 

Nonetheless, I've always thought Damita Jo was a good album so that's where we'll disagree. Despite the extra cooks in the kitchen. 

Let's not act like Janet is a Whitney, Beyonce, or Rihanna who doesn't write her songs. I will agree with you Damita Jo was a good album period no matter what anybody says and it's obvious she thinks it is too which is why she performs 3 songs from the album including "Island Life" which is my 2nd favorite track on the album. Jimmy and whoever else can stay pressed about it.

that's categorically false that I believe "everything she does is MJ related"... Norm, you've been proven wrong about Janet twice in just the past few days, regarding topics you've fiercely debated for years.. maybe check your fan card at the door........or, at the very least, your arrogance...and stfu

Oop! Once again remember he arrived during AFY

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Let's not act like Janet is a Whitney, Beyonce, or Rihanna who doesn't write her songs. I will agree with you Damita Jo was a good album period no matter what anybody says and it's obvious she thinks it is too which is why she performs 3 songs from the album including "Island Life" which is my 2nd favorite track on the album. Jimmy and whoever else can stay pressed about it.

Not saying she hasn't written I'm saying she has writing credits that she didn't pen shit on. Including her debut album. Terry is really the one of the team who is the writer with the most ease. When she got to Jimmy & Terry she wasn't really a writer much at all. 

That time she took with them to explore Minneapolis & to get to know them - as she talked they wrote & she didn't even realize it. He Doesn't Know I'm Alive was the first song recorded for the album which is why it sounds so different but it was already written & they wanted to see what she could do vocally & sonically. It was written by the woman she did "Making Love in the Rain" with. 

Rhythm Nation - Living In A World They Didn't Make has Janet's writing credit but it was Terry who penned the song. Janet had the concept & was talking to Jimmy about it. Terry walked in & they said Terry we're trying to do a song about children taking on the world they didn't create that adults messed up....Terry immediately said the title. Janet & Jimmy were like YES! Terry went away for a second came back with the song. 

Janet is involved in the process but her sitting down pen to paper & coming in with fully formatted songs is not always or even usually how it seems to go. That's no disrespect but it's been being revealed. Another point about that would be why when she leaves her foundation does her music sound different if she's the master behind the pen. A person who writes isn't withheld by a group. She also has never written for other artists & that's where the money is. Most writers will do that. 

Ok. I see you’re butt hurt over my comment ???

Since when does being proven wrong mean anything :blink: So when I’ve been proven wrong, it’s a thing that’s not forgotten.... when you’ve been proven wrong or anyone else, it’s ignored and forgotten? ie Unbreakable, pregnancy, domestic abuse, etc 

This is a weak argument & something the forum idiot or simpleton would use. 

Nice try coming for me when you attempted to use an old ass interview that’s been discussed and flop as a “told ya so” moment. So what if I was wrong about a setlist... HALF of you didn’t think she was going to tour at all

Not saying she hasn't written I'm saying she has writing credits that she didn't pen shit on. Including her debut album. Terry is really the one of the team who is the writer with the most ease. When she got to Jimmy & Terry she wasn't really a writer much at all. 

That time she took with them to explore Minneapolis & to get to know them - as she talked they wrote & she didn't even realize it. He Doesn't Know I'm Alive was the first song recorded for the album which is why it sounds so different but it was already written & they wanted to see what she could do vocally & sonically. It was written by the woman she did "Making Love in the Rain" with. 

Rhythm Nation - Living In A World They Didn't Make has Janet's writing credit but it was Terry who penned the song. Janet had the concept & was talking to Jimmy about it. Terry walked in & they said Terry we're trying to do a song about children taking on the world they didn't create that adults messed up....Terry immediately said the title. Janet & Jimmy were like YES! Terry went away for a second came back with the song. 

Janet is involved in the process but her sitting down pen to paper & coming in with fully formatted songs is not always or even usually how it seems to go. That's no disrespect but it's been being revealed. Another point about that would be why when she leaves her foundation does her music sound different if she's the master behind the pen. A person who writes isn't withheld by a group. She also has never written for other artists & that's where the money is. Most writers will do that. 

Excuse me but as Jimmy has stated there has been times where Janet has been the sole writer of the lyrics for a song and then Terry and/or Jimmy added a few things lyrically to tweak it. The way your post are coming off as if Terry writes EVERYTHING and Janet may add a couple of lyrical sprinkles here and there. No, its far more organic than that. Maybe you havent been listening to the latest Jimmy interviews closely. For example, Janet pretty much wrote most of TTWLG and they only added "like a moth to a flame..." line. I believe, if anything.. Terry and Janet take turns with the pen based on how heavy one is inspired by the music that they hear. One may come with a melody while the other writes the song, another example.. Jimmy came with the melody for "If" ..Janet took that melody, and then came back with penned lyrics for it. It's not just a one sided writing process

• Upvote 2

Her “debut” album is Janet Jackson and she didn’t penn anything 

Early in her career, Janet didn’t do much writing. It wasn’t until janet. & beyond that Janet did most of the writing minus DJ &  Discipline 

Shes not a songwriter for anyone one but herself 

Excuse me but as Jimmy has stated there has been times where Janet has been the sole writer of the lyrics for a song and then Terry and/or Jimmy added a few things lyrically to tweak it. The way your post are coming off as if Terry writes EVERYTHING and Janet may add a couple of lyrical sprinkles here and there. No, its far more organic than that. Maybe you havent been listening to the latest Jimmy interviews closely. For example, Janet pretty much wrote most of TTWLG and they only added "like a moth to a flame..." line. I believe, if anything.. Terry and Janet take turns with the pen based on how heavy one is inspired by the music that they hear. One may come with a melody while the other writes the song, another example.. Jimmy came with the melody for "If" ..Janet took that melody, and then came back with penned lyrics for it. It's not just a one sided writing process

My post specifically said I'm not saying Janet didn't or doesn't write. My point is she gets writing credit whether she did pen it or not.