The Grammy's 2017

Bailey

I like Beyoncé and I liked Lemonade.. but imo, her performance was far too pretentious, regardless of any hidden/open meaning behind it.. it just wasn't good.. far too over the top.. I don't even recall her smiling even slightly during her 10 min on stage.. she needs to ground herself a little more I think.. Adele just stood in front of the mic and sang her heart out.. that's what people are responding to, Beyoncé has been surrounded by too many who think of her as a legit "queen" for far too long.. she doesn't write any of her songs on her own, she doesn't play any musical instruments, she doesn't even sing live that often.. she's a great entertainer, yes, but not a great musician.. and this is obviously only my opinion, but it's an opinion of someone who's paid to see her in concert twice, purchased two of her previous albums and has been at least a casual fan of hers since the 90's.. but it's too much.. enough is enough

If you actually watched the performance you'd know she didn't smile because she was singing two songs about a relationship that was strained and needed resolve. Why would she smile? And if you actually paid attention to the performance, you'd see that she was lamenting a relationship through spoken word and in the end she did smile because she reached a resolution. That was the point of the performance and album. When a relationship is strained, work to fix it. When life gives you lemons, you make lemonade. The performance is by far one of her best in storytelling. And I don't see why people or Beyoncé thinking she's a queen bothers you so much. For some, calling yourself a queen is self-empowering. Maybe you should compliment yourself seeing as how self-conscious you appear toward others receiving praise. Saying Beyoncé hasn't written a song by herself is funny considering you're on a Janet forum, (and no, Black Cat was not solely written by Janet.) Adele also has producers for all of her songs, therefore she has not solely written anything by herself either. That still doesn't stop any of them from being greats artists. Criticizing Beyoncé for not singing live is also laughable coming from a Janet fan, as well as considering the fact that Adele did sing live last night and we all saw how that went. Beyoncé can wipe the floor with Adele vocally, without question. And you paying to see someone you don't consider a great artist not once, but TWICE is foolish on your part and completely dismantles your already flawed logic.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I like Beyoncé and I liked Lemonade.. but imo, her performance was far too pretentious, regardless of any hidden/open meaning behind it.. it just wasn't good.. far too over the top.. I don't even recall her smiling even slightly during her 10 min on stage.. she needs to ground herself a little more I think.. Adele just stood in front of the mic and sang her heart out.. that's what people are responding to, Beyoncé has been surrounded by too many who think of her as a legit "queen" for far too long.. she doesn't write any of her songs on her own, she doesn't play any musical instruments, she doesn't even sing live that often.. she's a great entertainer, yes, but not a great musician.. and this is obviously only my opinion, but it's an opinion of someone who's paid to see her in concert twice, purchased two of her previous albums and has been at least a casual fan of hers since the 90's.. but it's too much.. enough is enough

The kii is through most peoples explanation for why they think Countrytime shouldve won is that they nearly all (that Ive seen) spend more time talking about the visual which has NOTHING to do with winning this award. Her visuals & her brand in general is bigger than her music. And despite her fans that disagree, its proven to be abundantly true time & time again through the years. 

Too bad this wasn't the Critics Choice Awards??‍♂️

Pretty sure black producers and song writers are behind a large percentage of these artists so black people are being recognized for their HARD work. The race card is not valid in pop music. 

"Better music" is subjective and I cannot argue for or against what we consider "better music".

What I can argue is the victims of the Bowling Green Massacre was listening to Beyoncé before the massacre. Coincidence? Who knows :shifty: 

It wasn't the sales awards too because that's the only thing 25 had over Lemonade.

Black people invented music as we know it - but we're talking about the faces of the music - not the hidden figures that press play in a studio. 

You ain't shit for that :lmao:. I heard they cancelled because they were planning a family. 

The kii is through most peoples explanation for why they think Countrytime shouldve won is that they nearly all (that Ive seen) spend more time talking about the visual which has NOTHING to do with winning this award. Her visuals & her brand in general is bigger than her music. And despite her fans that disagree, its proven to be abundantly true time & time again through the years. 

The visual was a part of the album - it came with the download/CD. Hence why people thought it should win because it's different unlike Adeles which was the same old tried and tested formula. 

And dont forget Adele herself disagrees with you hence why she spent 90% of her acceptance speech talking about Bey and why she should have won, and all of the backstage interview talking about Bey still

Edited by Dammn Bu

I don't even see how there is an argument about it.  The woman who actually won the award knew in her soul it shouldn't have gone to her and flat out broke the Grammy trying to offer it to Beyoncé.  She then proceeded to not only give almost her entire speech to Beyoncé and what the album meant to her, her friends, and artists in general.  But, she carried it on backstage in the press room as well.  "What the F*uck does she have to do to win aoty?"  I mean say all you want too about it but the woman that did get the votes in the end knew she didn't deserve it.

That's case closed.  What else can you even say?

Edited by kidfresh832
  • Upvote 1

The visual was a part of the album - it came with the download/CD. Hence why people thought it should win because it's different unlike Adeles which was the same old tried and tested formula. 

And dont forget Adele herself disagrees with you hence why she spent 90% of her acceptance speech talking about Bey and why she should have won, and all of the backstage interview talking about Bey still

But visual wasnt a deciding factor for this award and for the Grammys it shouldn't be, as said in a earlier post a album that trancends all is what has a history of winning 8/10 times, 25 does. At the end of the day thats what those major categories want to win.

Thats nice for her but it doesnt make her right. Her opinion doeent have weight in the discussion. Shes a stan, and thats cute, but unless she's officially declining thats all it will be (and even if she did officially decline it doesnt change why she won and Bey didnt)

• Upvote 2

Why does she have to smile or humble herself for you?

She is a queen, though. Who else is doing it? No one you stan for.

you are pressed beloved and that's all you needed to say.

If you actually watched the performance you'd know she didn't smile because she was singing two songs about a relationship that was strained and needed resolve. Why would she smile? And if you actually paid attention to the performance, you'd see that she was lamenting a relationship through spoken word and in the end she did smile because she reached a resolution. That was the point of the performance and album. When a relationship is strained, work to fix it. When life gives you lemons, you make lemonade. The performance is by far one of her best in storytelling. And I don't see why people or Beyoncé thinking she's a queen bothers you so much. For some, calling yourself a queen is self-empowering. Maybe you should compliment yourself seeing as how self-conscious you appear toward others receiving praise. Saying Beyoncé hasn't written a song by herself is funny considering you're on a Janet forum, (and no, Black Cat was not solely written by Janet.) Adele also has producers for all of her songs, therefore she has not solely written anything by herself either. That still doesn't stop any of them from being greats artists. Criticizing Beyoncé for not singing live is also laughable coming from a Janet fan, as well as considering the fact that Adele did sing live last night and we all saw how that went. Beyoncé can wipe the floor with Adele vocally, without question. And you paying to see someone you don't consider a great artist not once, but TWICE is foolish on your part and completely dismantles your already flawed logic.

She has to humble herself to make him feel better because he feels inferior.

it's pretty funny seeing you guys as pressed as you are about my personal opinion! ?? I had no idea I meant so much to you.. please hurry and attempt to convince me more about how my thoughts are wrong and work to keep a fellow Bey Stan among you.. ahahahahaha!

anyway, she obviously doesn't have to smile or anything else she don't wanna do, but for a lot of people watching her (like myself) it can come off as pretentious and like she's just plain bored on stage.. again, my opinion.. she's also allowed to call herself a queen, a king, a prince, a donkey or anything else she feels like.. but I think calling yourself a "Queen B" and then actually dressing up like one (or a "goddess") onstage are 2 different things..

Over. The. Top. 

And as for her songwriters, have you seen the amount of writers she used just the song Girls?! and that song is mostly filled with repeat after repeat of the same lines.. I don't think Janet has ever used that amount of writers for one song that used the same lyrics over and over and over again like Girls does.. 

and I said Beyoncé is a great entertainer, no mistake about it.. I just don't see her as a great musician (they're two different things)..

and maybe your argument that I shouldn't comment on Beyonce lipsynching because Janet does would hold some weight to it, if Janet were also getting nominated left and right for a Grammy every time she farted on a track like Beyoncé does.. Beyoncé is not as great of a musician/artist in my opinion as so many have made her out to be..

dont agree? I don't give a fuck ??

• Upvote 2

But visual wasnt a deciding factor for this award and for the Grammys it shouldn't be, as said in a earlier post a album that trancends all is what has a history of winning 8/10 times, 25 does. At the end of the day thats what those major categories want to win.

Thats nice for her but it doesnt make her right. Her opinion doeent have weight in the discussion. Shes a stan, and thats cute, but unless she's officially declining thats all it will be (and even if she did officially decline it doesnt change why she won and Bey didnt)

They have no deciding factor. The factors change all the time. It's not sales. It's not impact. It's not visuals. What is it? It's stupid. 

She won because she was the safe option. That's all she'll ever be and that works for her. I'm glad Bey took a "risk" and was more creative than she has been before. Like I said - I'm not disappointed because I knew last year she wouldn't win because of the politics. I just don't think Adele was the deserving one. I was rooting for Sturgill tbh.

Edited by Dammn Bu

They have no deciding factor. The factors change all the time. It's not sales. It's not impact. It's not visuals. What is it? It's stupid. 

She won because she was the safe option. That's all she'll ever be and that works for her. I'm glad Bey took a "risk" and was more creative than she has been before. Like I said - I'm not disappointed because I knew last year she wouldn't win because of the politics. I just don't think Adele was the deserving one. I was rooting for Sturgill tbh.

I think the deciding factor based on winners all the way up to the 70s is in what many would call the safe option then, whats universal and doesnt more so lean toward any 1 side or group mostly. LemonKool-aid has impact as a era which does include as a album & singles too but in terms of the album itself its not as appealing to all markets the way 25 is. Safer but its what they want. Hell imo its really a case of its a honor for it to even be recognized when many of our faves much better albums havent even been recognized for that.

As someone who before the last album heavily criticized her for playing it to safe with everything I do acknowledge and appreciate shes changing, theres still MUCH to be worked on but shes in the right direction, and thats enough for now. 

• Upvote 1

It wasn't the sales awards too because that's the only thing 25 had over Lemonade.

Black people invented music as we know it - but we're talking about the faces of the music - not the hidden figures that press play in a studio. 

You ain't shit for that :lmao:. I heard they cancelled because they were planning a family. 

Hidden figures or not, black Americans have sports & pop music.. period. It's the people behind the scenes that make EVERYTHING possible for every pop artist. From make up to hair to lyrics and production, you cannot ignore their work and play the race card bc some black woman didn't win an award her peers voted in 

it's pretty funny seeing you guys as pressed as you are about my personal opinion! ?? I had no idea I meant so much to you.. please hurry and attempt to convince me more about how my thoughts are wrong and work to keep a fellow Bey Stan among you.. ahahahahaha!

anyway, she obviously doesn't have to smile or anything else she don't wanna do, but for a lot of people watching her (like myself) it can come off as pretentious and like she's just plain bored on stage.. again, my opinion.. she's also allowed to call herself a queen, a king, a prince, a donkey or anything else she feels like.. but I think calling yourself a "Queen B" and then actually dressing up like one (or a "goddess") onstage are 2 different things..

Over. The. Top. 

And as for her songwriters, have you seen the amount of writers she used just the song Girls?! and that song is mostly filled with repeat after repeat of the same lines.. I don't think Janet has ever used that amount of writers for one song that used the same lyrics over and over and over again like Girls does.. 

and I said Beyoncé is a great entertainer, no mistake about it.. I just don't see her as a great musician (they're two different things)..

and maybe your argument that I shouldn't comment on Beyonce lipsynching because Janet does would hold some weight to it, if Janet were also getting nominated left and right for a Grammy every time she farted on a track like Beyoncé does.. Beyoncé is not as great of a musician/artist in my opinion as so many have made her out to be..

You clearly do give a fuck, which is why you responded to my comment. And I bet you'll further prove how little fucks you give by replying to this comment as well, either way I win.^_^

The only reason Beyoncé comes across as "pretentious" to you is because she intimidates you. The only reason you have a problem with others calling her a Queen and her appearing on stage as the Queen she is, is because she intimidates you. All of this is because she. intimidates. YOU. The fact that she needs to humble herself just to make you feel better proves how fraudulent you are. Don't worry though, you aren't the only one who feels this way. Beyoncé just has that effect on people, including some on this very forum. And don't try to alter your statement by saying "the number of writers on a song." Point is, neither she or Janet solely writes their music. Writing your own music is not a prerequisite for getting a Grammy, nor does solely writing your music suddenly make your music better. If that were the case, Aretha Franklin wouldn't have the 18 grammies that she has. The irony of all of this is you're calling Beyoncé pretentious, when you're the one who looks pretentious by mentioning the number of writers Beyoncé has on her songs and trying to discredit her for it. At the end of the day, Beyoncé is involved in the creation of all her music and she makes good music, which is the most important thing.

And FYI, just because it's an opinion, it doesn't absolve it from being flawed. Case in Point.

Over. The. Top. 

no im pretty sure we're just taken aback by your idiocy. Lol Opinion or not it was based on flawed thinking and was therefore picked apart.

It came off as pretentious to you and a select few haters who feel threatened by her. There was no reason for her to smile while performing songs about relationship issues. You sound dense. And since when is wearing a costume over the top for an award show performance. If she just stood behind a mic like you praised Adele for you would've said she didn't do anything interesting or praise worthy lol.

Everyone has songwriters, though, so....many people you consider great artists didn't write a single word on their songs, so...

How are you a Janet fan and bring up anybody lip syncing when she's notorious for it? 

Over. The. Top. 

although I agree about most of what you said, you can't tell/suggest women to "smile more"... it can be seen as degrading and sexist. 

As far as Janet goes... no. Majority of Her songs are written by her in its entirety then edits are made and then she gives credit where credit is due.. Janet also has two other writers compared to Beyonce's warehouse full of em. Beyoncé is the opposite: she's given songs, make some changes, and takes credit for majority of the song although she's gotten better at not doing that lately. The Bey-stans will argue that but facts are facts 

Beyonce is not a musician.. she's not a genius.. She's an entertainer with a pair of great vocals and a very powerful husband 

Most televised performances are lip-sync'd

Edited by Game XXIX
  • Upvote 1

Whys it gotta be a race thing? Theres women of all colors who release album's with socially relevant thenes that are better than most people in mainstream, and theres been better album's through the years that dont get nominated (Rhythm Nation & Velvet Rope). This awards not about that its about that album that they feel is more Universal and timeless, and ofcourse it can be argued that some of what Beys done may be, but much about Adeles music transcends race & sexuality & age. This award isnt and never has been about social issues, maybe it should be,  maybe that needs to be a category  (and Bey would deserve that win if it were), but it is what it is, and in my opinion  its not about race.

Based on this logic....I guess Janet didn't get nominated all of those times because her music wasn't universal and timeless enough? Or any of the many black artists blocked from wins in the major categories? White artists are disproportionately making more universal and timeless music worthy of album of the year?

What does universal even mean? What about her music is transcendent? She talks about relationships and love just like everyone else - it's just bland love songs marketed with a white face. Universal just sounds like coded language for 'not too threatening to white folk,' which would then go against your argument that it isn't about race in the first place.

although I agree about most of what you said, you can't tell/suggest women to "smile more"... it can be seen as degrading and sexist. 

As far as Janet goes... no. Majority of Her songs are written by her in its entirety then edits are made and then she gives credit where credit is due.. Janet also has two other writers compared to Beyonce's warehouse full of em. Beyoncé is the opposite: she's given songs, make some changes, and takes credit for majority of the song although she's gotten better at not doing that lately. The Bey-stans will argue that but facts are facts 

Beyonce is not a musician.. she's not a genius.. She's an entertainer with a pair of great vocals and a very powerful husband 

You do realize a host of artists do this, including Janet, right? :huh: 

And several songwriters have already attested to Beyonce's songwriting. Additionally, some of Beyonce's songs that have multiple writers are due to samples. 

And several songwriters have already attested to Beyonce's songwriting. Additionally, some of Beyonce's songs that have multiple writers are due to samples. 

Beyonce is a damn thief now accept it cause you know it's true hoe. I haven't slapped nobody in a while and I think I might not have to wait much longer.-_- 

Beyonce is a damn thief now accept it cause you know it's true hoe. I haven't slapped nobody in a while and I think I might not have to wait much longer.-_- 

JoeJoe plz take your Black ass on somewhere. Ain't nobody got time for you when you know you ain't supposed to be on the computer. :sigh:

You clearly do give a fuck, which is why you responded to my comment. And I bet you'll further prove how little fucks you give by replying to this comment as well, either way I win.^_^

The only reason Beyoncé comes across as "pretentious" to you is because she intimidates you. The only reason you have a problem with others calling her a Queen and her appearing on stage as the Queen she is, is because she intimidates you. All of this is because she. intimidates. YOU. The fact that she needs to humble herself just to make you feel better proves how fraudulent you are. Don't worry though, you aren't the only one who feels this way. Beyoncé just has that effect on people, including some on this very forum. And don't try to alter your statement by saying "the number of writers on a song." Point is, neither she or Janet solely writes their music. Writing your own music is not a prerequisite for getting a Grammy, nor does solely writing your music suddenly make your music better. If that were the case, Aretha Franklin wouldn't have the 18 grammies that she has. The irony of all of this is you're calling Beyoncé pretentious, when you're the one who looks pretentious by mentioning the number of writers Beyoncé has on her songs and trying to discredit her for it. At the end of the day, Beyoncé is involved in the creation of all her music and she makes good music, which is the most important thing.

And FYI, just because it's an opinion, it doesn't absolve it from being flawed. Case in Point.

you are funny ?...intimidates me?! Omg the hilarity that I'm reading on my phone!!.. like I said before, I'm a fan of hers.. I'm just not a fan of the excessivness that her career has ballooned into.. the over the topness.. the point of me bringing up the number of songwriters she uses is not due to her being eligible for a Grammy or not (wtf?!), but more so due to her lack of artistry and musicianship.. she's an entertainer. Singer, dancer, (not so good) actress. Point blank period.. being "involved" in something doesn't equate to being the sole creator of something bud.. 

no im pretty sure we're just taken aback by your idiocy. Lol Opinion or not it was based on flawed thinking and was therefore picked apart.

It came off as pretentious to you and a select few haters who feel threatened by her. There was no reason for her to smile while performing songs about relationship issues. You sound dense. And since when is wearing a costume over the top for an award show performance. If she just stood behind a mic like you praised Adele for you would've said she didn't do anything interesting or praise worthy lol.

Everyone has songwriters, though, so....many people you consider great artists didn't write a single word on their songs, so...

How are you a Janet fan and bring up anybody lip syncing when she's notorious for it? 

honestly my fav album from Beyonce is 4, and my favorite song from hers is I Was Here and I'm pretty sure that in the video and the live performances of that song all Beyonce did was (get ready for this.....!) just stand there behind a mic! ? Omg that's wild huh?! You see, even if she did what Adele did I wouldn't have given her shit for it like you claim, ya know, since you know me so well ??

frankly, I can suggest whatever I want to suggest on an online forum.. has nothing to do with what gender somebody is.. you or others may take it that way, but it doesn't make it so.. I merely said i didn't remember her even cracking a smile throughout the 10 min performance and that made her seem pretentious, or bored at best.. imo

i also mostly agree with you.. Beyonce is not a musician.. def not a genius either.. great entertainer, yes! ??????

And while it may be true that most televised performances are lip-synched, I can only clock Bey's from last night as being the only one that used obvious playback

Janet gives credit where credit is due and according to Jimmy, Janet is the lyricist, writer.. along with Terry*

*- (not including Damita Jo through Disappointment) 

Edited by Game XXIX
  • Upvote 1

frankly, I can suggest whatever I want to suggest on an online forum.. has nothing to do with what gender somebody is.. you or others may take it that way, but it doesn't make it so.. I merely said i didn't remember her even cracking a smile throughout the 10 min performance and that made her seem pretentious, or bored at best.. imo

i also mostly agree with you.. Beyonce is not a musician.. def not a genius either.. great entertainer, yes! ??????

And while it may be true that most televised performances are lip-synched, I can only clock Bey's from last night as being the only one that used obvious playback

Yes you can say whatever you want but saying such things like "{insert woman's name} should smile more" is a sexist statement ??‍♂️ 

I watched some of her performance but it was pretty boring (the songs suck ass too imo) 

• Upvote 1

Based on this logic....I guess Janet didn't get nominated all of those times because her music wasn't universal and timeless enough? Or any of the many black artists blocked from wins in the major categories? White artists are disproportionately making more universal and timeless music worthy of album of the year?

What does universal even mean? What about her music is transcendent? She talks about relationships and love just like everyone else - it's just bland love songs marketed with a white face. Universal just sounds like coded language for 'not too threatening to white folk,' which would then go against your argument that it isn't about race in the first place.

Universal means exactly what it means. I know it's hard to accept the fact that Adele >>>> Beyoncé But that has always been true for as long as Adele slayed

• Upvote 1