Does Money equal happiness?

Bailey

Okay so I'm on my soap box, get over it, anyway I have come to the conclusion that money doesn't equal happiness. I am reminded of this a lot, there was a billionaire who was one of the original founders of Microsoft, he was also gay with a partner, he committed suicide and left millions to gay causes. Well again today I am reminded again, a Michigan woman who won the lottery for about 1 million was found dead from a drug over dose. Sometimes I think its God's way of telling us to check what you think might make you happy. I took a Psychology class and the book we had talked about what makes you happy, statistics show that money and happiness do not correlate. So what does make us happy? Our relationships and how satisfied with our jobs we are. I believe money is nothing more than a security blanket, thats it, all the shit I have spent money on, 1 grand to see Madonna in concert one night, fun , but the memories are priceless, the shit I spent money on in my life hasn't made me happy clothes, designer labels, new cars, that shit doesn't matter really, I could be happy with good trusted friends and maybe a relationship, but I am celibate, another epiphany ....I stopped fucking around after my ex, despite him being an ass, I loved being "attached" now I am trying to know what makes me tick so excuse this long ass post, I just spend my time thinking about everything.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/09/29/735k-lottery-prizewinner-found-dead-possible-drug-overdose/

Yes, both literally the money itself, and/or what the money leads to.

If you think about it, the majority of the experiences in your life that makes you happy involves money. You mentioned memories of the Madonna concert. You wouldn't have been able to experience that without the money. So without one, there couldn't have been the other.

There are other things that can make you happy that doesn't directly involve money, but I still feel like you need the money to get there.

tumblr_lo3lg4P3KF1qd8nya.gif

Would you care to elaborate on that?

I'm not saying the more money one has the more character they have... that's redic'... but it builds who we are, personality wise in some perspective.. not saying all rich/middle/poor are the same within their category.

idk... money doesn't equal happiness... more money, more problems... unless you don't tell anyone about your financial well-being.. then some people can find happiness...

if I were rich, I wouldn't tell anyone... they treat you differently...

if I were rich & famous... i'd be alone... because I wouldn't be able to trust anyone... that's the honest truth..

Yes, both literally the money itself, and/or what the money leads to.

If you think about it, the majority of the experiences in your life that makes you happy involves money. You mentioned memories of the Madonna concert. You wouldn't have been able to experience that without the money. So without one, there couldn't have been the other.

There are other things that can make you happy that doesn't directly involve money, but I still feel like you need the money to get there.

I think Game really hit more on where I was going with this, I am not talking about money that can buy Madonna tickets I mean money at the level that you can buy million dollar homes, the research suggests that money and happiness do not correlate. I understand the responses in here though people who are not living at the level they want feel money will make them happy, but more money more problems. Like having a new car, a new car means okay I have to keep insurance on this and I have maintenance to keep it "like" new.

I think some of you really believe money will make you happy, I had a friend she never owned a new car, so when we would hang out she would talk about how much she wanted a new car like mine, and I would tell her look after about 5 months you get over it, yea its new, yea you go from point A to point B BUT...it doesn't make you happier.

I think some of you really believe money will make you happy, I had a friend she never owned a new car, so when we would hang out she would talk about how much she wanted a new car like mine, and I would tell her look after about 5 months you get over it, yea its new, yea you go from point A to point B BUT...it doesn't make you happier.

same with the iPhone 5... when people ask me, "how do you like your phone"... I give them the Janet Jackson sound bite "I love it"

To me it's just a simple smartphone.... it doesn't increase my happiness... maybe for 12 hours but after that.. it's just a phone

• Upvote 1

same with the iPhone 5... when people ask me, "how do you like your phone"... I give them the Janet Jackson sound bite "I love it"

To me it's just a simple smartphone.... it doesn't increase my happiness... maybe for 12 hours but after that.. it's just a phone

but to some extent we all buy into the status symbol ideal of happiness, I never wanted an Apple computer even when I could afford to get that stuff, now its like I want everything Apple. Sometimes we are label whores, or at least I am. I rememeber being on the phone with Sprint saying I wanted an Iphone, and the lady on the line asked me why? "We have plenty of other phones just as good if not better than the Iphone" :crazy: I'm sitting on the phone like why do I have to explain to you why I want what I want. :blink:

but to some extent we all buy into the status symbol ideal of happiness, I never wanted an Apple computer even when I could afford to get that stuff, now its like I want everything Apple. Sometimes we are label whores, or at least I am. I rememeber being on the phone with Sprint saying I wanted an Iphone, and they lady on the line asked my why? "We have plenty of other phones just as good if not better than the Iphone" :crazy: I'm sitting on the phone like why do I have to explain to you why I want what I want. :blink:

you want Apple for the wrong reasons... it's not about status for me.. it's about usability... I'll admit.. it was about status when I first wanted it... but I learned that Apple lasts longer than PC... so I bought my last laptop in 2008... 4 years later (last March) it was stolen... but still usable.. (slow) but still usable

you are not a label whore working with Sprint :shifty: LOL jk I can't believe she asked you why.... those Anti-Apple consumers irk me

you want Apple for the wrong reasons... it's not about status for me.. it's about usability... I'll admit.. it was about status when I first wanted it... but I learned that Apple lasts longer than PC... so I bought my last laptop in 2008... 4 years later (last March) it was stolen... but still usable.. (slow) but still usable

you are not a label whore working with Sprint :shifty: LOL jk I can't believe she asked you why.... those Anti-Apple consumers irk me

I was told Apple made products that last a long time, thats really what makes folks buy Apple, but they have a serious cult following now.

money builds character... that character isn't necessarily happy..

how is that? Earning money can build character in some cases not all, but in the case of the lottery winner I would say she fucked up bad, I read that article she won that money a year ago, so in a year's time frame she won a million dollars and now she's dead. :mellow:

why? :filenails:

If I had money I'd move out. If I moved out I'd be happy. Therefore money would bring me some happiness. :P

However love would also make me happy and I can't buy love :)

Money can buy some happiness but is not a recognised currency for other methods of happiness :D

actually the money guy from CNN said Sprint is the best deal going for an Iphone Sprint has an unlimited data plan

If I had money I'd move out. If I moved out I'd be happy. Therefore money would bring me some happiness. :P

However love would also make me happy and I can't buy love :)

Money can buy some happiness but is not a recognised currency for other methods of happiness :D

you mean to say is you can buy some ass but that doesn't necessarily mean love. :filenails:

I moved out and lived alone for years, and was miserable, sure I had nice things to come home to but I hated being alone.

I always was told Apple made products that last a long time, thats really what makes folks buy Apple, but they have a serious cult following.

Yet, people still feel the need to buy the same phone every year. Mind you, the technology used to create those items is state of the art, and should last for years.

Anywho, to answer the question at hand, Money can't make you happy, but having it can alleviate a lot of problems that make you unhappy. I'm sure money isn't a cure all, but it will make you happier than being poor.

• Upvote 1