The Official Robin Thicke Thread

HollyHood

It does sound A LOT like "Got to Give It Up".... I don't know, did Marvin's song inspire a whole genre of music? If so, then technically his family can make that claim. lol

Either way... I think they have case about Robin's sounding identical to Marvin's song. They should've just given Marvin's family a percentage of the royalties (even though it's not a direct sample) Pharrell and Robin could've avoided all of this. lol

Yeah, at this point, it looks like such an opportunistic move to sue. "Got to Give It Up"'s influence is still undeniable though from the instrumentation to the use of falsetto. Nothing wrong with being inspired as long as you can bring out your own flavor on it. I think Robin did good. ^_^

King Robins 11th week @ #1, if he's #1 next week he'll be tied with Rihallah for longest running #1 of the 2010s if he gets it the week after that its his record and he passes WBT in all areas.

Funny thing is the song was on its way to peaking or slowing down but I have no doubt in my mind that the Marvin Gaye shit his familys doing boosted those numbers (which I'll be reporting here in a lil) because I saw them this morning....the numbers are back to how they looked in mid July!

• Upvote 2

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/5672505/marvin-gayes-family-rejected-robin-thickes-six-figure-offer

Marvin Gaye's Family Rejected Robin Thicke's Six-Figure Offer

Billboard has learned that Robin Thicke’s team offered a six-figure sum to members of Marvin Gaye family in order to preempt a copyright infringement showdown, but the family turned it down.

According to sources knowledgeable with the lawsuit, the settlement offer came after Frankie Christian Gaye, Marvin Gaye III and Nona Marvisa Gaye accused Thicke's "Blurred Lines" hit single of plagiarizing "Got To Give it Up," written and composed by Marvin Gaye, who died in 1984.

Subsequently, Thicke, along with "Blurred Lines" co-writers Pharrell Williams and Clifford Harris, Jr., filed a lawsuit on Aug. 15 in U.S. District Court in Los Angeles requesting a ruling that "Blurred Lines" does not infringe on "Got To Give It Up." It also requested a similar judgement with regard to another accusation, by Bridgeport Music Inc., that "Blurred Lines" infringed on George Clinton's "Sexy Ways."

Bridgeport and the Gaye family's attorney, Richard Busch, did not return calls requesting comment. Thicke's law firm, King, Holmes, Paterno & Berliner, declined to comment.

In an interview with TMZ, Gaye's son, Marvin Gaye III said, "We’re not happy with the way that he went about doing business let alone suing us for something where he clearly got his inspiration from at the least."

During an interview with GQ magazine in May about his career and the making of "Blurred Lines," Thicke said, "one of my favorite songs of all time was Marvin Gaye's 'Got to Give It Up.' I was like, 'Damn, we should make something like that, something with that groove.' Then he started playing a little something and we literally wrote the song in about a half hour and recorded it. The whole thing was done in a couple hours."

Thicke's lawsuit said the "intent in producing 'Blurred Lines' was to evoke an era. In reality, the Gaye defendants are claiming ownership of an entire genre.... The reality is that the songs themselves are starkly different."

Are they?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wRcVQDELAd4

We asked Ron Sadoff, a professor at New York University's Steinhardt School and Director of Programs in Scoring for Film and Multimedia and Songwriting at Steinhardt’s Department of Music and Performing Arts Professions, for his opinion.

"Thicke’s 'Blurred Lines' may have been inspired by Marvin Gaye’s 'Got to Give It Up,' but the songs’ respective ‘touch and feel,’ as well as their use of structural musical materials, are common to many popular songs," Sadoff said. "From a musicological perspective, the songs share even less similarities in terms of their use of structural materials such as melody and harmony. 'Blurred Lines' is composed squarely within the major mode, while 'Got To Give It Up' revolves around the blues scale. In this key area of melodic content, there doesn’t appear to be evidence that would suggest plagiarism on the part of Robin Thicke."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Like I said a few posts back...he should have just given a percentage of royalties to the family from the start and he could have avoided all of this. Now, he's going to have to spend those coins from "Blurred Lines" defending himself in court. -_-

"Thicke’s 'Blurred Lines' may have been inspired by Marvin Gaye’s 'Got to Give It Up,' but the songs’ respective ‘touch and feel,’ as well as their use of structural musical materials, are common to many popular songs," Sadoff said. "From a musicological perspective, the songs share even less similarities in terms of their use of structural materials such as melody and harmony. 'Blurred Lines' is composed squarely within the major mode, while 'Got To Give It Up' revolves around the blues scale. In this key area of melodic content, there doesn’t appear to be evidence that would suggest plagiarism on the part of Robin Thicke."

And thats all that matters :coffee:

This got me feeling sorry for the Gayes, this kind of greed aint a good look on them.

Yea winning ownership of a entire genre seems likely :coffee: Anythings possible I suppose I mean who would've thought last year Robin Thicke would have the biggest single Airplay history?

In the meantime, this news is reflecting nicely on the single & album sales tho so thats great, and also that most people seem to be siding with Robin, since when promoting the song he's always said he wanted his song to sound like GTGIU, and if he didn't sample GTGIU (which he didn't)....then he technically has no reason to pay them except out of charity it seems, but it seems they want a piece of the royalties of the most successful song of the 2010's, oh the greed...I expected more from the Gayes :sigh:

Yea suing for ownership of a entire genre seems likely, in the meantime, this news is reflecting nicely on the single & album sales tho so thats great, and also that most people seem to be siding with Robin, since when promoting the song he's always said he wanted his song to sound like GTGIU, and if he didn't sample GTGIU (which he didn't)....then he technically has no reason to pay them except out of charity it seems, but it seems they want a piece of the royalties of the most successful song of the 2010's, oh the greed...I expected more from the Gayes :sigh:

:lmao: I know right.. The Gayes need their coins! They're Jermaine/Joe

The judge will prolly strike this down..

And the foolishness of it all is of allllllllllll the artists to actually take Marvins instrumentals and not give credit (the radio station out here went INNN and pulled up artists names and songs that sampled Marvin and didn't give credit) but then for them to sue someone who openly didn't sample anything Robin touched...ugh, thats so Jermaine-esque >_<

And Nona......shouldn't she be focusing on reviving that acting career? And Prince gets a pass for suing because they were fucking and signed her, but he's guilty (along with tons) of what Robin did, making a song sound "Marvin-esque" without touching Marvin's stuff and still giving credit. But nooo because she was laid up with Prince and they did some flop duets (tho I like them) and he produced her 1 flop album (tho I have & like it...don't love it tho, I'd expect more from Marvin's kid) he gets a passs, a damn shame :lmao:

It really is like they arent entitled to JACK with this song

LOL Most here who arent deep Prince or Marvin fans probably would, Nona Gaye is Marvins daughter (she replaced Aaliyah in the Matrix movies, and played 1 of Ali's wives in the movie Ali, and did other acting jobs here & there, not really a big name but she works) but she dated Prince for a few years, and like he did for every women his dick entered he got her a record deal and she recorded 1 album that went nowhere, and did a few duets with him (1 single Love Sign) that went nowhere too. And I was just saying Prince is VERY guilty of occassionally doing a song that sounds "Marvin-esque", "Stevie-esque", & in the old days "Hendrix-esque" without sampelling, but she never pulled the shit with him, but she also never dated Robin, coincidence huh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FitpIHNmNtY

Nah, Jada would've been in regardless, Aaliyah's part was that guy with the dreadlocks wife.

Man I need to watch those movies again :lol:. I thought Jada was the dreadlocks wife :lmao:. I don't remember the other lady

I heard the Give It 2 U video came out yesterday and that it's hilarious, Im not ready for it yet, but I hear people are liking the video more than the song (which I think should be easy, it's my least fave song from the album....not to even mention the 2 chains remix...ugh)