The Official Robin Thicke Thread

HollyHood

Yea I predicted what happened which is most people are weirded out by the theme so much they aren't really giving it a chance, eh but he named it, he chose to do limited promo, he chose to put the details in the lyrics...

Too bad tho, it's a great album.

My track by track review

1. You're My Fantasy - B, I LOVE the smooth Caribbean feel, And the harmony's....and that spanish guitar.

2. Get Her Back - A

3.Still Madly Crazy - B-, THE VOCAL CONTRAST, I like how in this track he switches from smooth and silky to rough and rhaspy. And the instrumental

4.Lock The Door - A+, CATCHY AS HELL, it gives me Ray Charles and with a dash of John Legend, and the chior like backing vocals is just everything, it's truly the icing

5.Whatever I want - A, I see this as the turn down of Blurred Lines, it honestly is like the songs Blurred Lines and Love After Wars baby., and I'm here for that

6.Living In New York - A, LOVE THIS OBVIOUS JAMES BROWN TRIBUTE lol, He always said for years that James is 1 of his influences but he never really showed it as much as through this track, and he showed out

7.Love Can Grow Back - C, I LOVE this jazzy bluesy vibe, and that instrumental. I give it a C cause it is forgetable tho.

8.Black Tar Cloud - A+, best song on the album, I LOVE this song its so deep and dark and intimate and personal, I LOVE it. I can see how some can be weirded out by it or not get it.

9.Too Little Too Late - C, I like it, it's probably the most "in the now" style song on the album, I like it but it's forgettable and the beat needs a change

10.Tippy Toes - D, worst song of the album, tooooo corny. Great instrumental tho, it's just the instrumental

11 Something Bad - B, MUCH better than the previous song, it's done right it's simple but I LOVE that 60's style vocals with that hard hitting early 80's beat.

12.The Opposite Of Me - C-, its nice a lil sunny 60's song, I like but it's not memorable

13. Time Of Your Life, C+, YES, I love the crooner Robin, catchy good song but it's forgettable 

14. Forever Love - A, what's not to love the vocals and the piano kill, it's just great.

Overall feeling, I like this album, I wish he chose another name, but he knew what he was doing this era. I find it cool that he  was the sole producer of the album, and that apparently he did it in a month. I think as a whole this album picks up where Love After War left off, thus I think it's better than Blurred Lines. My ranking now

1. Sex Therapy (feeling the hell out of that era right now

2. Paula

3. Blurred Lines

4. Love After War

5. Something Else

6. The Evolution Of Robin Thicke

7. A beautiful world

I'm sorry.. Paula above everything else he did besides Sex Therapy.. :unsure: is it because it's new?

I'm sure he's had better albums than this one, right?

It's all about personal opinion. But yea I will admit part of it is the excitement of new music. Sex Therapy, Something Else & Love After War are thouroughly great albums to me (some of the best & most soulful & tastfully eclectic R&B music of the last 10 years) so in time this album might still sit with them or it might sink lower than them.

Here's why you're wrong. 1st Bey took a bigger risk, it's still a risk what Robin's doing. And Im over his haters saying he doesn't sell...um of his 6 albums only 3 havent opened at 100K if nobody cared like people so claim he'd more than likely his sales would be Chante Moore & Jon B numbers. I mean yall go on & on about how he can't sell anything where his discography tells something different. To not have a fanbase you can't be ranking in numbers over 100K as much as he has. Thus he does have a fanbase.  

LOFL @ "You have to have a fanbase to take risks"...........that makes absolutely no sense what so ever LOFL, You have to be an artist to take risks....and as a singer, writer & producer he qualifies. He's coming off his most successful era, more often than not people who do that tend to aim for the next era to grab attention too. This era he's doing NO interviews, very few appearances & performances

And please, he's in the news every other week now everybody's talking about this album, he's not  D-list but he's definitley mainstream right now, if he wasn't nobody would be still reporting about him. And that's why he's taking a chance, I knew since last year he was gonna do an album this year, but if he wanted too, he could rack up the interviews all over, and call up Pharell for another dance track, and do another innovative video. That song is his legacy and it'll always be brought up, it'll always get airplay and it'll always be his signature song. For him to have "no" legacy he has to have no hit's period and no successful albums period, like most R&B acts today.

Oh and lastly for Happy to be the new BL, it'd have to also outsell it and knock it off all the records it broke.,  It hasn't. It's popular tho and it's Pharell produced....they have that in common. 

I read that whole thing....damn 420 -_- anywho, you made some good points, and I just checked out Itunes albums chart, Robin is in the top ten, I didn't know the man had an album out, but somebody checking for him. My issue with him, is sure he sounds good to an extent, but I can't name any songs of his that were just the shit, and BL got played the fuck out....

I read that whole thing....damn 420 -_- anywho, you made some good points, and I just checked out Itunes albums chart, Robin is in the top ten, I didn't know the man had an album out, but somebody checking for him. My issue with him, is sure he sounds good to an extent, but I can't name any songs of his that were just the shit, and BL got played the fuck out....

OK, but that's your opinion tho, you make it clear you're not a fan or at least not much of 1 so I wouldn't really expect you to have a high opinion of anything he's done.

(and no extent about it, the man can SANG, like him or his music or not, he can sing most of the R&B stars out right now under a table)

OK, but that's your opinion tho, you make it clear you're not a fan or at least not much of 1 so I wouldn't really expect you to have a high opinion of anything he's done.

(and no extent about it, the man can SANG, like him or his music or not, he can sing most of the R&B stars out right now under a table)

I never said the man couldn't sing, I  never said I was a fan or not, all I said was I don't know much of his music that has gotten big (except BL) and that doesn't mean I haven't listened to the man, he has the voice sure, I will say I wonder if he has the mass appeal, I mean his biggest media moment was with Miley Cyrus, twerking, that's not legend making territory.

I never said the man couldn't sing, I  never said I was a fan or not, all I said was I don't know much of his music that has gotten big (except BL) and that doesn't mean I haven't listened to the man, he has the voice sure, I will say I wonder if he has the mass appeal, I mean his biggest media moment was with Miley Cyrus, twerking, that's not legend making territory.

OK, I feel you, I think I write you off as not a fan because of all of the out of nowhere shade and seemingly that you just arent into him. And only 1 other song came close to getting big and that's Lost Without You. I don't think he's gonna be legendary, that doesn't seem to be the road he chose, and I think BL was an example that if he did do things a certain way, take more of a back seat to things, he could've but that's not him, he gave it a shot, it worked out well, and he has the biggest song of 2013, he'll be remembered for that, From the looks of it that works for him, and it works for me and most people who are fans of his.

OK, I feel you, I think I write you off as not a fan because of all of the out of nowhere shade and seemingly that you just arent into him. And only 1 other song came close to getting big and that's Lost Without You. I don't think he's gonna be legendary, that doesn't seem to be the road he chose, and I think BL was an example that if he did do things a certain way, take more of a back seat to things, he could've but that's not him, he gave it a shot, it worked out well, and he has the biggest song of 2013, he'll be remembered for that, From the looks of it that works for him, and it works for me and most people who are fans of his.

But now he's considered a joke. Did you not see the #askthicke responses? He might have the biggest hit of 2013 but it cost him his relationship in the process as well as making him the butt of many jokes now. There's a sense of negativity around this project because people are creeped out by him. I kinda feel sorry for him actually.

I need to check the album out. I'm a sucker for love songs. From yours and Games review it's like he's gone back to what he's good at - which I'm glad.

But now he's considered a joke. Did you not see the #askthicke responses? He might have the biggest hit of 2013 but it cost him his relationship in the process as well as making him the butt of many jokes now. There's a sense of negativity around this project because people are creeped out by him. I kinda feel sorry for him actually.

I need to check the album out. I'm a sucker for love songs. From yours and Games review it's like he's gone back to what he's good at - which I'm glad.

Yea that sucks, it's also cause most people only know of him because of the 1 song and nothing else, having no idea of his artistry or catalog. It is what it is, and that was just a horrible idea, this was not the time for that. And yea he's doing too much without doing very much this era and it is rubbing people the wrong way, which sucks cause the album deserves a fair chance, but like I said he himself kinda doomed this era by making it so personal and sooo much about Paula, it's not a good look.But alas Im just here for the music, a flops not gonna hurt him, he's been there. 

BUT it could all be a ploy, like his response that he could take the jabs, maybe it's humiliating himself because he humiliated Paula, I think that's alot of what he's doing, like he's doing ALOT that doesn't have to be done almost to himself seemingly. But hopefully the success of BL will overshadow all this crazyness of right now years later.

I can see you liking it